Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the Top 100 Analysis September 20, 2016 (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23747647#23747647) and saw that Ticket to Ride is now just outside of the top 100.

I hadn't been tracking where it was in the top 100, and it came as a surprise to me that it isn't there anymore.

Europe and Nordic Countries are still there, though.

Things have certainly changed in my years in the hobby. Some of the monoliths have moved quite a bit from where I expected just a few years ago.

What game would surprise you if it left the top 100? Power Grid would surprise me a lot if it fell in rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would surprise me if Pandemic Legacy ever fell out, because people tend to revise their rankings when they play games again, and since nobody is likely to play it again, that'll likely never happen.

Pete (also notes that other factors, like getting discouraged by lack of replayability, don't apply here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About time, never liked that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda similer thought to what Pete said is my theory for it dropping out is that many people started with TTR as one of their gateway games and so its common to replace it with another game and thereby dropping a person's rating on TTR as they find better.

Its kinda the reasoning being some people asking if they can filter out user's ratings by # of games that user has rated. (which has more problems than it solves but thats my opinion on a different topic)

edit add: I also think TTR europe is vastly superior
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A bit surprised by that...but this is subjective rank from a website geared towards "hardcore" gamers for whom TTR is maybe too simple.

Personally, I think TTR should be the new Monopoly --- 80 years later, it's in a high majority of American households and it's what non-gamers think of when they think board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:

I didn't play it for years, considering it only as a gateway game, but started playing again and it caught on like wildfire in our group. I've liked it and its different versions a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:

Its kinda the reasoning being some people asking if they can filter out user's ratings by # of games that user has rated. (which has more problems than it solves but thats my opinion on a different topic)

Like if they haven't rated a lot of games, their rating isn't included in the filter?

mafman6 wrote:

edit add: I also think TTR europe is vastly superior

I like TtR USA better, but I think I'm definitely in the minority on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
darthain wrote:
WERE there inclusion of some "hopped-up"-'Wallaby'-on-"the Brown LSD"-'Train Engineer' within THIS, then, perhaps?
colonistsauronpurpletrainpurpletrainwhitetrainblacktrainblacktrainyellowtrainbluetraingreentrainredtrainredtrain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played TtR in...feels like over a decade. Don't have a copy in my collection, which feels like something I should address?

What's the "best" version to get, then? (And why?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People actually care about the BGG rankings? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Haven't played TtR in...feels like over a decade. Don't have a copy in my collection, which feels like something I should address?

If you like blocking, Africa. It's a tight map that rewards aggression.

If you don't like blocking, Europe. There are ways to get around because of the stations.

I like Nordic Countries, but it's only 2 or 3 players. It's another tight map.

The Swiss map (I think, it's the other 2 or 3 player one) is cool. You can go to different countries. Drawing destination cards is so important in this one.

I'd definitely try a few before buying any.

Oh, and if you like absolutely nuts games, go with Ticket to Ride Asia, the team version. A blowout score every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:

I like ranking games, and I do keep the ranking in mind. For instance, it sometimes seems like I could design a game and easily get it into the top 5000, based on some of the games I see in there. Some of the games have so few votes in comparison to others, it's wild.

It's fun to think about even when I'm not using it for utility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
I'm not going to go through a box of tissues crying or anything, but yeah, I pay attention.

Pete (doesn't see why he wouldn't)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:

Oooo, look at me, I'm edgy!

On topic: wait for Ticket to Ride: Star Wars edition, that'll rocket to the top
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Legend5555 wrote:

I did, but then my mom got off welfare.

Oh...burrrrn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Wright wrote:
XanderF wrote:

If you don't like blocking, Europe. There are ways to get around because of the stations.

The Swiss map (I think, it's the other 2 or 3 player one) is cool. You can go to different countries. Drawing destination cards is so important in this one.

Oh, and if you like absolutely nuts games, go with Ticket to Ride Asia, the team version. A blowout score every time.

Any thoughts on the 'Ticket to Ride: Rails & Sails' version? We're from the Great Lakes region, originally, so it has a certain amusement angle from that...

FWIW, our games are almost only ever 2-player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Tom Wright wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Any thoughts on the 'Ticket to Ride: Rails & Sails' version? We're from the Great Lakes region, originally, so it has a certain amusement angle from that...

FWIW, our games are almost only ever 2-player...

Unfortunately, I haven't played the Rails and Sails version yet (or Marklin or UK/PA). I'm excited to, though, when I get the chance.

I've liked them all two-player. My wife and I got onto a TtR kick in which we played A TON, and we really enjoyed them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
XanderF wrote:

Here is my opinion on the versions I have played:

USA is the best version to teach new gamers. Simplest rules and most players will be familiar with the destination cities locations. It can be very cutthroat but most players can find a way to avoid cutting off other players.

Europe is a step up rules wise from USA but its still fairly simple. Finding location cities on the map can be a pain for new players but the added stations rule helps players avoid being cutoff.

Asia and Africa are both quite competitive without really adding a lot to the basic game experience in my opinion.

UK is my current favorite. It is almost a totally different game. They took the base USA mechanisms and added a tech tree and points engine building. I would not want to try to teach this version to someone who hasn't at least played USA. The map is double sided and the Penn side map features a stock building system. This version is probably the most complex version I have played. Not quite as fun as UK but still a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect the turnover rate of the top 100 to only accelerate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
With these things, I always like to remind myself that the top 100 is such a small percentage of the overall database and the more games that are added to the database, the smaller that percentage will get.

This is how I view the ratings and it helps me with perspective. There are close to 13000 rated games in the database. That means I see any game within the 1-1300 range to be a 10 according to the BGG hivemind. Games ranked 1301 to 2600 are a 9 and on down to things like Monopoly and Tic-Tac-Toe, which are rated 1.

Everything just makes a little more sense that way. So, Ticket to Ride is still rated a 10 by BGG in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Foley
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
People actually care about the BGG rankings? :whistle:

I'll use it sometimes it I'm a bit on the fence about getting a game or not. Like if it is outside the top 500 I'll probably pass on it until I've read more reviews and gone through the entire rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
I expect the turnover rate of the top 100 to only accelerate.

This is my feeling as well, which partly fueled my earlier comment. Plus, if I had a game for every time someone brought up the rankings as if:

1. They really matter.
2. As it pertains to a specific game climbing into or falling out of the Top 100.

I would have ALL the games! devil Mwha ha ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to see some "old" games sticking it out.

20th century games: Tichu, El Grande, Tigris & Euphrates, and Paths of Glory
pre-20th century: Go and Crokinole

so much for the golden age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Odd you would want a copy of a game you haven't played in a decade. I would think seeking out token plays from people who already have it would suffice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the game. I think I had the App on my iPod.

I'm glad it got so many into gaming. It will continue to do so regardless of rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.