Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered the French SoL Imperial along with some other items from the online retailer RCHobbies.

When I received my package (quick delivery) I noticed first thing that the Imperial's lead mast was leaning dramatically to the stern compared to the other SoL's I own. Upon unboxing I noticed a glob of glue at the base of the fore mast. WTF

I sent a message to RCHobbies calling them on it... No response received.

As the ship is hard to come by I am going to keep it... But I am irked that they sold the product as new and did a crappy repair job. Should have been offered as a ding and dent item.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

These ships are durable and can take a fair amount of abuse while in their packaging... I guess I would have preferred to do my own repair job than receive a product that demands to be repaired again correctly.

Shame on RCHobbies... grrr arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur, they should have left enough alone. I had 3 ships with broken masts when I got them after the KS campaign. Easy, easy fix if you have a mini hand drill.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ares has added another panel to the packaging which has really cut down on damage.

I think the "100s" have seen the most damage, perhaps because of the ship size in relation to the mast. But I haven't heard many stories in the past year or more.

It is very odd that a hobby shop would pull the stunt you describe-- and also do it so badly. Fixing it is one thing, but one might expect if they were trying to fix it, they would do it well. I'm guessing if they did it, they noticed the 'rattle' when they were preparing your package and did a quick job, thinking it would pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you know where it was repaired?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
How do you know where it was repaired?

The glue at the base was the give away...

If by "where" you mean repaired by the manufacturer or the retailer I cannot answer that... I'm sure masts can break in transit... And if this was the case then my retailer likely didn't want to send a broken item. If Ares was fixing broken masts I think people would be writing about it.

Which mast would you say was repaired?

Glued foremast

Regardless, now what to do?
Not sure if I should re-break the mast and try to reposition it or leave it as is... Yes, the ship is still playable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think when he asked "How do you know where it was repaired?" he meant WHERE it was repaired!

Was it at the hobby store, the distributor, or at the factory before it left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.