Subject: Kid Appropriate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schauer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Just out of curiosity, is this game's story content and art work age appropriate for younger kids (Say 6-10 range). I realize that is somewhat of a loaded question as what is 'appropriate' will probably differ greatly from parent to parent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen so far, I've been more happy with this than most other games my 11 yo daughter has played in the past few years. There was even a discussion of the female role models a bit back that left me without a doubt happy about Gloomhaven. Traditionally, games like these have female characters with barely any clothing, in weak and vulnerable, bent and impossibly twisted poses. Check out Escher Girls if you haven't noticed. It's pretty unbelievable. They made a conscious effort to avoid that in Gloomhaven.

That may or may not be quite the answer that you were looking for, but I firmly believe it is good for all children (not just female) to see humans (beings? genders?) in a more equal light and Gloomhaven stands out for making that effort.

I don't know what you would find offensive besides that. I'm sure that there won't be any truly ugly language. Of course, your kids probably know all the words by now anyway. They all do. There probably won't be any nudity (not that a little tasteful nudity isn't a part of life anyway). Someone else would have to comment on the nature of the stories, but I've found that kids grow up and experience life in spite of you, not because of you. Judging by the rest of it, I am not going to worry. It will just be a teaching moment for me if the off story goes into a darker place.

I'll admit that I would be saddened if it was all dark, though. My daughter will make the decision if she likes it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac will have to comment on the story content, but I would say the artwork is tame. No scantily clad fantasy trope males or females. No blood on weapons, dungeons, or cards, with the exception of one character. Some of the monsters may be a little frightening looking, but nothing too terrible. For example, no guts hanging out of zombies or anything.

My son is 7 and I wouldn't have issue with him playing the game based on the artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
There was even a discussion of the female role models a bit back that left me without a doubt happy about Gloomhaven. Traditionally, games like these have female characters with barely any clothing, in weak and vulnerable, bent and impossibly twisted poses. Check out Escher Girls if you haven't noticed. It's pretty unbelievable. They made a conscious effort to avoid that in Gloomhaven.

The conversation that's being referred to: http://www.cephalofair.com/2015/08/realistic-depictions-wome...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
About a year ago, I had privately asked Isaac what he would rate the game in movie terms, and I believe he said PG-13. I think that would probably still stand to this day. I mean, I've not seen everything, like I cannot speak on the event cards and other such bits of story that may exist, but I have read the Scenario Book in its entirety, and nothing struck me as being even remotely questionable in this regard -- To wit, there was nothing crude or particularly gory, and I want to say that the worst word might have been something like "bastard". So, yeah, in my opinion, the PG-13 would be more for the obvious violence involved in the slaughtering of enemies throughout the game, any slightly horrific elements present in the story and/or artwork, and the possible moral decisions you may have to make at times, or even those present in the story itself. And I believe that should pretty much cover everything? Of course, I'm sure you'll hear an official answer from the horse's mouth, so take all of this with a grain of salt, haha...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathew and Josh have summed it up pretty well. Some of the events and scenarios can get a little graphic, in a PG-13 sort of way. The worst thing I can think of is someone getting their throat slit in one of the events, but it doesn't go into detail about the blood coming out or anything like that. If you feel like your child might be sensitive to something of that nature, you could screen the event card silently before you read it aloud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Allen
United States
White Settlement
Texas
flag msg tools
www.bobweekend.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a big difference in something you are doing with said kid vs. a box you say go play. Good example, Fireside Games Castle Panic, the box says 10+, I have played this with kids as young as 4. Their parents were playing as well. For Gloomhaven, I would probably not use the open play penalty if younger players were involved. I would still do the open play concept so the parents and kids can see what each other has planned and talk through strategy.

Since you are playing with your family, be prepared to answer questions. Not a bad thing. Why do the skeletons want to kill us? We did not do anything to them...

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
If I remember correctly there are one or two blood soaked rooms that might make for an interesting conversation with the 8 and under set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
..... Traditionally, games like these have female characters with barely any clothing, in weak and vulnerable, bent and impossibly twisted poses....

Hands away from nude armor! It is a MUST in fantasy games. Without it Munchkins would have never been such a funny game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Degtyarenko
msg tools
You do realise that this is game about killing living being? Nude artwork should be least of your concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wellman
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I usually watch these discussions from the sidelines, but thought like throwing in my $0.02.

It would be great to see this game reach the maximum # of audiences, considering the work that has gone into it and the potential impact it may make on the hobby.

Everyone has their own moral "triggers" - for me, its the soft-curse-religious-exclamations like in the Dead of Winter Flavor text. For others its the amount of clothing or the handling of value of life, or any host of other topics.

There is a line that needs careful navigation to avoid a Milquetoast product, but new designers looking to reach the maximum # of audiences do well to be aware of how simple details can turn certain groups of people off.

For instance, I don't see many people clamouring for me strong language, but I've seen many turned off by too much (or any at all).

I'm glad to see the direction this game is going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I clamour for strong language.

(That is not a joke.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actively avoid strong language and generally consider it a mark of poor writing. Obviously there are some exceptions, but usually it just strikes me as a lazy attempt to add shock or emphasis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Profanity can be overused, no doubt. But a good writer knows there is precisely one word or phrase that is exactly the best choice in a given instance. There may be many ways to express an idea, but there is always one way that is better than any other, if you can come up with it. And sometimes that word is "dickwhistle."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.