Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Brady
United States
Bettendorf
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read through the rules forwards and backwards and don't see a definitive answer to this one.

re: Obsidian

During an accident, all gems (including obsidian) are returned to the bag. This fits thematically since an accident occurs in the mine and everything is dropped. The rules do explicitly state that obsidian is returned.

If you leave the mine successfully, you will have either zero or one obsidian in your cart. Assuming one, you cannot sell it at the market, nor is there any reason to put it in your chest. However, the rules do not specify what happens to it. They do say to return all 'sold' crystals to the bag, and I guess thematically obsidian brought to the surface would be thrown away (not returned to the bag). Is the intention to slowly deplete the amount of obsidian in the bag from day-to-day? Or will there always be 18 in the bag at the beginning of each day?

Scott
http://www.SahmReviews.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaz "Pair of Dice Paradise" Marler
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent question, Scott!
From my understanding, a player's obsidian is returned to the bag whenever they have an accident and when selling their crystals at the end of the round.

The end result is that at the each round should start with all crystals in the bag, with the exception of any that have been saved in the players' "treasure chest" cards.

However, the approach that you described (not returning excavated obsidian back to the bag) may make an interesting variant. The potential rewards would certainly grow larger as the game progresses. I think that's worth giving a try.

I hope this helps! Keep your pickaxe sharp and clean!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Halaban
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Adaygrit wrote:
An excellent question, Scott!
From my understanding, a player's obsidian is returned to the bag whenever they have an accident and when selling their crystals at the end of the round.

The end result is that at the each round should start with all crystals in the bag, with the exception of any that have been saved in the players' "treasure chest" cards.

However, the approach that you described (not returning excavated obsidian back to the bag) may make an interesting variant. The potential rewards would certainly grow larger as the game progresses. I think that's worth giving a try.

I hope this helps! Keep your pickaxe sharp and clean!

Chaz is right.

when you leave the mine, you take any obsidian you may have in your cart with you. After selling your crystals you should return the obsidian to the bag.

Not returning excavated obsidians sounds as good variant indeed, but it must be tried out.

The danger I see, without having tied it yet, is that if many players do this as a strategy to lower the amount of obsidians in the bag, they can change too drastically the proportion between god and bad crystals, or even manage to take all obsidians off from the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Brady
United States
Bettendorf
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We may try it with the following addition. Make the player pay a disposal fee if they don't sneak it back into the mine. They can then choose whether or not to pay (and benefit everyone) or take it back to the mine with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Halaban
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ia2ca wrote:
We may try it with the following addition. Make the player pay a disposal fee if they don't sneak it back into the mine. They can then choose whether or not to pay (and benefit everyone) or take it back to the mine with them.

Sounds good Scott.
I'm curious to know how did it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.