Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone !

I've been looking at getting into the game for a couple reasons:

1) I'm becoming a bigger fan of Star Wars due to many of the recent releases from FFG such as Armada which I LOVE, Rebellion, and Empire vs Rebellion.

2) The deckbuilding aspect of the game very much intrigues me because I like playing card games, but I've been out of Magic for many years because I found the deckbuilding too "crunchy". I very much think the objective set decision making for building a deck is much more to my style, where I don't have 60~ cards to choose to build my deck and it's much more "fragile". But with SW, I need to choose 10 objective sets, but those sets I choose must be chosen carefully for synergy with the other sets, and I must choose wisely. Less is more, and I think I can bring more people into the game because deckbuilding won't be AS intimidating.

3) The flavor and versatile hand management of the game where each card can be used in multiple ways, screams fun and tense to me. Also, the EDGE battles and the Balance of the Force aspects of the game are very interesting to me, and I very much like the nature of the game that it's much more tactical vs strategic.

However, I'm not seeing any buzz about the game. It seems like it's the red headed stepchild of the LCG family, with the two biggest juggernauts being AGoT and Netrunner. I never hear this game get any love, I only know of 1 person that plays the game, but I don't even think they play it all that much though I know they still have all their stuff for it.

What's the current state on the game? How does everyone still feel about it? Am I getting in on the game too late? Anything I should keep note of/be aware of?

Any assistance/advice for a newbie like me would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a casual player and don't play in any tournaments. I play mainly with my family. We all love the game. The deckbuilding aspect makes it perfect for casual play as well. I really think that its a thematic game and it really feels like star wars to me contrary to what others have said.

There are a lot of tournament players too so if you are interested in that then I'm sure they can assist you. Also the star wars forums over at cardgamedb.com have a whole lot of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
SWLCG is great for casual play among friends. I don't know if it's winding down as far as expansions, but there's more than enough stuff for a common set to be great value for a play group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
SirKittyJuice wrote:
However, I'm not seeing any buzz about the game. It seems like it's the red headed stepchild of the LCG family, with the two biggest juggernauts being AGoT and Netrunner.

That does seem to be the case, even though it really shouldn't be - Star Wars is by far the best LCG. Alas, early impressions are very important, and the core set isn't the best it could have been, the game's release was overshadowed by the massive success of Netrunner, which was released just a few months earlier, and the starting expansions had subpar content and were plagued by release delays. All of this contributed to player loss, and seems to have been the reason why FFG don't really promote the game. Which is a real shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a counterpoint, I'd recommend against the game. The game is tactical to the point of myopia, where the game swings wildly back and forth with little rhyme or reason outside of who drew better that turn. The Force Battle and Edge Battles are so athematic (by design) that they needed to explain what they represent in the rulebook - while playing through that stage of the game, you'll feel like you're playing a game with a regular deck of cards.

The hand management aspect is interesting in theory; I just wish they employed it in a manner that worked better as a game, especially one that would feel like Star Wars.

As to the deckbuilding, I found it too limiting and frustrating in its own way. You'll run into many situation where you don't want to bring cards you have to, which ends up making the deckbuilding at least as bad as the traditional, bring-what-you-want method. Especially with the faction limitations of the other games, I find them easier to build a deck in than this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently just purchased all the cards and absolutley love the game. I know it does not get a lot of promotion or love but everyone I play with enjoys it. I agree that it very much feels like SW. I know some people don't like the theme of edge battles and force struggles but I am never detached from the theme. Furthermore, mechanically they are great as they add to the usefulness of each card and remove "dead" cards.

A really important point that a lot of card games have is that often you need tons of "value" cards or low cost cards that are integral to your deck. However, in SW LCG due to the strike mechanic and attack sequence "mains" (Luke, Palatine, Falcon, Yoda) are the most important characters. This is good as the game will rarely end because a random storm trooper beat a non name rebel commando. The game is mostly fought with key characters pulling the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
The Force Battle and Edge Battles are so athematic (by design) that they needed to explain what they represent in the rulebook - while playing through that stage of the game, you'll feel like you're playing a game with a regular deck of cards.

Yeah I can't agree with you on that point. I will agree the game has some flaws and kind of a weak theme in some respects. But the edge battles elevate the game for me. The agonizing decision of whether or not to keep a card or pitch it to the edge battle is what makes me still play this game to this day.

I do agree with you on the swingy nature. But that can be mitigated somewhat as you play more. Any powerful card has an answer. Still, to each his own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant game. Well worth getting. It's my favourite lcg.

The edge and force battles are great and I'm suprised anyone could not see a thematic reasoning behind them.

Just out of interest, has anyone tried the 4 player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
As a counterpoint, I'd recommend against the game. The game is tactical to the point of myopia, where the game swings wildly back and forth with little rhyme or reason outside of who drew better that turn.

I agree that the game is so tactical it can cause analysis paralysis. There are so many ways to misplay in any given turn. That creates a dynamic where experienced players dominate, unless you are intentionally playing sub-par decks. However, I can't agree with the statement about wild swings. In decks composed of 10 different objective sets, sure, there's some swing. But in a solidly-built deck, you get a lot of consistency.

Idaho11 wrote:
The Force Battle and Edge Battles are so athematic (by design) that they needed to explain what they represent in the rulebook - while playing through that stage of the game, you'll feel like you're playing a game with a regular deck of cards.

The hand management aspect is interesting in theory; I just wish they employed it in a manner that worked better as a game, especially one that would feel like Star Wars.

The edge battles make and break the game for me. I love them, but some of my potential playmates don't (specifically my wife), so this game hardly sees play anymore. If it were up to me, I think I'd play it more, but you can only play both sides so many times before it gets old.

Idaho11 wrote:
As to the deckbuilding, I found it too limiting and frustrating in its own way. You'll run into many situation where you don't want to bring cards you have to, which ends up making the deckbuilding at least as bad as the traditional, bring-what-you-want method. Especially with the faction limitations of the other games, I find them easier to build a deck in than this game.

I hear you. In theory, having some situational cards with some good cards is a great way to encourage taking more diversity. Unfortunately, that means that if the power level of an objective set is off, it becomes an always-take or never-take. There are some neat cards that are in objective sets that just aren't great, so those don't see play ... in tournaments. However, those same objective sets can still be a lot of fun in casual play. Would it be ideal if all sets had good cards? Yes. Is it game-breaking that some are just better? Not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Casual player, and I play this with my two oldest sons.

The game is fun and quite thematic. And I like the deck building aspect, but you'd need more than the core to make this pop.

Want to do the Rebels vs Imperials on Hoth, with AT-ATs vs Speeders? Sure. How about a Sith vs Jedi matchup? Absolutely. How about creating a group of scummy bounty hunters to capture and frustrate you opponents units. Can do. What if you want to see how Ewoks would hold up against a bunch of incarnations of Boba Fett. Yeah, you can do that.

Edge battles are the game within the game, and add to the tension.

If the buzz has died down, then it's not because the gameplay is poor or non-star warsy....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the status of the game is. The product is awesome but there's just no competitive scene. I'm okay with that, YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned, the main reason it's not as popular as Netrunner and Thrones is that it had a rocky start, first being re-designed as a competitive game instead of cooperative, then releasing at the height of Netrunner's hype, and then being plagued for two years with regular product release delays.

That's all over now. Star Wars is the best LCG. (I also play Thrones, and I've tried them all except for Conquest.) And the game is in such a great place right now, with all affiliations capable of fielding competitive, tournament-quality decks (Smugglers and Spies playing more of a supporting role).

I hope you get the game. Try to find a complete collection on EBay or something; otherwise start with two core sets and two copies of Edge of Darkness. It's the kind of game that takes repeated plays to truly appreciate. But if you're willing to put that time in, it will reward you like no other game on the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago when the game first came out, I remember Team Covenant was podcasting and talking about Star Wars LCG and comparing it to Netrunner. Zach and Steven both said that the one limitation to Star Wars was that the objective set deck building mechanic limited the choices at the time. However, when the card pool could have time to build up, it would be FFG's best LCG.

A lot of players didn't give it time, but the card pool built up and it is the best. Star Wars definitely hit that point during the last cycle and it is so good right now (even with the lackluster Hoth cycle).

I hope more people will come back now that Conquest is dieing off and see what they've been missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post reminds me to play this again soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest boardgaming regret is not being able to build a local meta around this game. I just can not get this played. LCGs are notoriously difficult to get off the ground here in the first place, and everyone plays Netrunner or Thrones it seems. And no one wants to play more than one LCG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the replies, I greatly appreciate it! I think I will jump into the game afterall !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
As others have mentioned, the main reason it's not as popular as Netrunner and Thrones is that it had a rocky start, first being re-designed as a competitive game instead of cooperative, then releasing at the height of Netrunner's hype, and then being plagued for two years with regular product release delays.

That's all over now. Star Wars is the best LCG. (I also play Thrones, and I've tried them all except for Conquest.) And the game is in such a great place right now, with all affiliations capable of fielding competitive, tournament-quality decks (Smugglers and Spies playing more of a supporting role).

I hope you get the game. Try to find a complete collection on EBay or something; otherwise start with two core sets and two copies of Edge of Darkness. It's the kind of game that takes repeated plays to truly appreciate. But if you're willing to put that time in, it will reward you like no other game on the market.

Thanks man, that honestly makes me feel a lot better about it, I greatly appreciate it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got another question for everyone:

What's the current life expectancy for the game? I've heard rumors of CardGameDB that the current cycle for the game will be the last one. Is there any validity to that, or are people just jabbing jokes? I saw another post that there won't be any further Deluxe expansions for the game either.

Does anyone know if the new Destiny game from FFG is going to have any direct effect on the LCG?

Just want to ask about it, as I don't want to get into the game if it's going to go belly up as soon as I get a collection for it, it would be quite disheartening.

Any help would be appreciated as always, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirKittyJuice wrote:
I've got another question for everyone:

What's the current life expectancy for the game? I've heard rumors of CardGameDB that the current cycle for the game will be the last one. Is there any validity to that, or are people just jabbing jokes? I saw another post that there won't be any further Deluxe expansions for the game either.

Does anyone know if the new Destiny game from FFG is going to have any direct effect on the LCG?

Just want to ask about it, as I don't want to get into the game if it's going to go belly up as soon as I get a collection for it, it would be quite disheartening.

Any help would be appreciated as always, thanks!

During the FFG In-flight report at Gencon, someone asked the exact question about how Destiny was going to effect the LCG. They clearly answered that they were going continue to develop the LCG alongside Destiny.

That was a better answer than the one about Conquest's future, which was pretty much evaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got the game a few months ago there were rumors as well, most of them are people just fearful or talking about what ifs. Thus, for the game ending after this cycle, I don't think there is a lot of validity to that. Not even rumors just people asking about it. Also, based on other comments and my own the last two cycles have been awesome. The game is getting tons of deck building depth. The game play is not dying and only improving.

As for no more deluxe the short answer is that there will be no more deluxe in their current iteration as the last 3 were based on focusing on two factions. Each faction now has had a deluxe. So FFG could do more deluxe such as expanding into the new movies (I am hoping!), prequels or something interesting. But, it looks like there will be no more "traditional" deluxe as in focusing on say Sith/Rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4wallz wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

Yeah I can't agree with you on that point. I will agree the game has some flaws and kind of a weak theme in some respects. But the edge battles elevate the game for me. The agonizing decision of whether or not to keep a card or pitch it to the edge battle is what makes me still play this game to this day.

That doesn't really disagree with my statements, though. I have no issue with people liking the Edge battle - I don't, but that's personal taste. But the rulebook goes out of its way to both tell you that the cards you throw into the Edge battle lose all text except the pips (except for the edge-specific cards, forget their name), and then describe what it should represent. They've stripped all theme from it.

To me, it's particularly egregious because they had a model that would have worked great for it - the LotR shadow mechanism (I think that's what it's called). If Star Wars cards came out of the gate with abilities that just took place during the Edge battle, it would have been fantastic. But they didn't. Although I'd love to hear that they explored that design space later on - I stopped paying attention shortly after the Hoth cycle, as it didn't seem they were moving in a direction that would get me past my initial issues with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
4wallz wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

That doesn't really disagree with my statements, though. I have no issue with people liking the Edge battle - I don't, but that's personal taste. But the rulebook goes out of its way to both tell you that the cards you throw into the Edge battle lose all text except the pips (except for the edge-specific cards, forget their name), and then describe what it should represent. They've stripped all theme from it.

To me, it's particularly egregious because they had a model that would have worked great for it - the LotR shadow mechanism (I think that's what it's called). If Star Wars cards came out of the gate with abilities that just took place during the Edge battle, it would have been fantastic. But they didn't. Although I'd love to hear that they explored that design space later on - I stopped paying attention shortly after the Hoth cycle, as it didn't seem they were moving in a direction that would get me past my initial issues with the game.

Why bother coming and commenting on a game you don't like, especially one that you gave up years ago?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
If Star Wars cards came out of the gate with abilities that just took place during the Edge battle, it would have been fantastic. But they didn't.

Fate cards do exactly what you describe.

Also, there are a ton of cards that trigger off the result of - or what is played in - the edge battle. For example, Asteroid Sanctuary, Don't Get Cocky, Human Replica Droid, Rebel Commando, Crix Madine, Guri, Threat Removal, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
If Star Wars cards came out of the gate with abilities that just took place during the Edge battle, it would have been fantastic. But they didn't.

Also, there are a ton of cards that trigger off the result of - or what is played in - the edge battle. For example, Asteroid Sanctuary, Don't Get Cocky, Human Replica Droid, Rebel Commando, Crix Madine, Guri, Threat Removal, etc.

Yeah I have no idea what he's talking about. How do you make that comment with cards like Twist of Fate in the core. I don't think he's even played this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

Yeah I have no idea what he's talking about. How do you make that comment with cards like Twist of Fate in the core. I don't think he's even played this game.
It sounds like he's talking about cards that have text that applies then they're played/in play, and another set of text that applies when they're played in an edge battle. This is basically what the Shadow mechanic means in LotR, although Shadow effects are only found in the encounter deck (that the players play against) and not on player cards. It's certainly an interesting area of potential design space that hasn't been explored much if at all in SW, but I don't agree with Idaho11 that the game is any way lacking without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.