Subject: Incentives to encounter stable locations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't actually remember the last time I had an encounter at the Administration Building. What are some ways to incentivize encountering stable locations more often, or is it really needed?

3 things off the top of my head, and 2 and 3 are houserules we have in place. Any other ideas?

1. Gain 1 clue when you have successive encounters at all locations in a neighborhood with both stable and unstable locations. This is in addition to any clues gained at unstable locations.

2. Have an encounter at the starting location before drawing the first mythos card.

3. Make a Luck +0 check after using a stable location special ability to have an encounter at the stable location as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use (2) & (3) as well. (Excepting the luck check, which is a good idea.) But even then, there's a lot of stable locations that get little love in our games. The Newspaper and Church are just too tempting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have Kingsport Horror, use the Guardian which promotes visiting Stable Locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I should say certain stable locations see lots of activity and some very, very little. Hmm a couple riffs on (1):

Place tokens in all stable locations. When you encounter a stable location, collect the token. When you collect 5, on upkeep, trade them in for one of the following:

- 1 clue
- 1 stamina
- 1 sanity
- $2

When all the tokens have been collected, replenish all stable locations with new tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Hypnos, but was hoping to find a few things that could be used in all games without necessarily adding a Guardian. I think of him as more of a thematic addition. Also I think maybe something that doesn't tweak difficulty too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use (2)

I also find monsters blocking the streets are sometimes enough incentive to stay in a area
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
If you have Kingsport Horror, use the Guardian which promotes visiting Stable Locations.

Hypnos is the Guardian. He has a deck of cards that you draw each turn and put a clue at that location. These are all stable locations.

By rule, you draw two cards and encounter the one of your choice. I only draw one, since that short of defeats the prupose, allowing you a chance to encounter anything bad.

I also wait until the doom track is half full, round up before drawing a Hypnos card.

[bEDIT:][/b] I posted before I saw your response. You know about Hypnos.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Lance
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I count twelve coming in from starboard, Admiral.
badge
Fourteen from port side, sir!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a house rule where, whenever there is a monster surge, you rotate all clues on the map one (non-street) location clockwise. This often tends to shift them onto stable locations. If you go to shift a clue and it would wind up on a gate, keep shifting it till it gets to a location with no gate.

I also shift a clue clockwise if it would get eaten by a gate opening on it.

This rule might make the game a little easier, since no clues get destroyed, but it makes it more fun, since every location tends to get visited and encountered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
I use a house rule where, whenever there is a monster surge, you rotate all clues on the map one (non-street) location clockwise. This often tends to shift them onto stable locations. If you go to shift a clue and it would wind up on a gate, keep shifting it till it gets to a location with no gate.

I also shift a clue clockwise if it would get eaten by a gate opening on it.

This rule might make the game a little easier, since no clues get destroyed, but it makes it more fun, since every location tends to get visited and encountered.

Hey, I like that one. Hmm, we might still have gates eat clues, but I like the idea of rotating the clue positions. I suppose the concern would be removing the chance for clues to be taken out by gates. Maybe only a 50% chance of a shift per clue on a surge. Really interesting idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
badge
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Always use 2. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this:

On a monster surge, roll a die for each clue in Arkham. On a 4-6, rotate the clue clockwise within its neighborhood. If the clue is rotated to a location with a gate, it is removed.

I think this might help a bit with preventing things being too easy by still keeping a chance for clues to be removed by either a gate opening or a rotation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love some of these ideas.

What about putting starting clues on all stable locations, rather than unstable? It might not make as much sense thematically, but it would at least increase the likelihood of visiting those locations.

I've also pondered, somewhat related, the idea of rolling a die to see if you have a location encounter prior to your special encounter at locations that have them. Why couldn't you, for example, have another encounter on your way into the general store, or on your way to pray at the church?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:
I love some of these ideas.

What about putting starting clues on all stable locations, rather than unstable? It might not make as much sense thematically, but it would at least increase the likelihood of visiting those locations.

I've also pondered, somewhat related, the idea of rolling a die to see if you have a location encounter prior to your special encounter at locations that have them. Why couldn't you, for example, have another encounter on your way into the general store, or on your way to pray at the church?

The problem with putting clues on stable locations is that you make the game a lot easier. You're basically eliminating the chance for the clue to be removed when a gate appears. I like the rotating clue idea because you can possibly rotate into a gate and remove the clue that way. I think we may try only a chance (50%) that a clue (or entire neighborhood) will rotate on a monster surge.

We actually use that houserule for green special encounter locations -- it's basically a Luck +0 roll to have an extra encounter after you use the special location ability, but I suppose it could be before as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the houserules I use is that if you want to use a special ability at a location, you have to have an encounter there first. Afterwards, if you're still there and not delayed, you can use the ability. It's not a perfect rule, but I think it's pretty fun usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:
One of the houserules I use is that if you want to use a special ability at a location, you have to have an encounter there first. Afterwards, if you're still there and not delayed, you can use the ability. It's not a perfect rule, but I think it's pretty fun usually.

That's a good rule, and I think we're liking that it happens before the special ability' might just change that -- we'll probably keep the Luck roll just to add a bit more randomness to it.

The problem is still there for locations that don't have a special ability -- Velma's, Train Station, Newspaper, Library (even Ma's and the Admin building don't get used so often) -- both the Train Station and Newspaper have some pretty good encounters so people tend to go there... I'm really liking the Luck encounter plus the chance for a clue rotation to get players to stable spots more often... Thanks everyone for some great suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stumbled across another idea but not sure how it might affect the game:

Skill sliders may only be adjusted on stable locations.
Tomes may only be studied on stable locations.

Very simple but possibly very effective way of getting investigators to visit the green diamonds. What do you think? I have a feeling the 1st might be too disruptive but I am liking the tome idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a rule that requires every location to be explored before the game can end? I mean, how do you KNOW there aren't more gates if you haven't CHECKED?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:
What about a rule that requires every location to be explored before the game can end? I mean, how do you KNOW there aren't more gates if you haven't CHECKED?

Hehe... "Deputy Dingby, there HAS to be a gate in here somewhere, I just KNOW it!!!" Um, yes, arrested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Step
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I suggest, every time you pick up a mythos card, roll a dice, and on a six, put a clue token on a random stable location instead of the place specified on the mythos card (maybe in the same neighbourhood?). Should only have a minimal effect on game balance, but should slightly increase the amount of encounters at stable locations. I might try this myself at some stage.

I've tried special ability + random encounter on same turn but didn't like it that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.