Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Martin
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Is there a reason to get 2 copies of this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You hate empty shelf space?

Um, mirror matches?

There are probably reasons, but not, like, the same kind of reasons for, say, an FFG LCG, where you need X number of Y cards to have a "full set".

Codex is complete out of the box, especially the Deluxe edition (the core set is "complete" in the factions it includes, and becomes "more complete" as you add additional factions -- but there's no planned expansions to beef up the factions, if the distinction makes sense to you.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to be able to use the same hero(es) as your opponent. But if you get that much into the game with someone, they should probably get their own copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
msg tools
Not only heroes, but isn't there only one of each colour's starter deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but two copies of the Neutral starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion. If you and your opponent want to use the same hero/tech (including bashing and finesse), then you'll need a second copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in a second copy so in a have one copy set up as mono colored decks and keep them in the binders, and have the second for building different multicolored ones. For this other set it's easier to leave them out of binders to facilitate trying different things. And it sounds like once a person really knows the cards, it a bit more convenient to simply thumb through a card stack. In this case, I'm content with single copies of the neutral specializations bashing and finesse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my friend spent a while where we'd each roll d20 three times to select our specs. We obviously had to reroll if we rolled up a spec that the opponent had, and also if we each rolled a green hero we couldn't both play the green starter against each other. Fortunately we have fairly different preferences (I like white-green-blue and he likes black-red-purple) so that wasn't an issue really (and since I have P&P I could have just printed a second copy of anything we really wanted to use in mirror matches), but it did occur to me that it'd be an issue even if you've paid $200 for the Deluxe set.

If you wanted to hold a tournament among a few friends, where each player selects 3 specs before playing, you'd probably need 2 sets. Because odds are high that some of the more popular specs like Demonology or Strength would end up playing against each other at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
alextfish wrote:
Me and my friend spent a while where we'd each roll d20 three times to select our specs.

Why use a d20 when you can just shuffle the spec mini-cards that mark which tier 2/3 building you're using?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, that's a rather good idea. Hadn't thought of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie Ulii
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
If you want to be able to use the same hero(es) as your opponent. But if you get that much into the game with someone, they should probably get their own copy.

PnP is also a viable option. You could do mirror matches and it wouldn't cost as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rudder wrote:
Is there a reason to get 2 copies of this game?

Yeah, echoing the others: this isn't a Fantasy Flight situation where you need to buy multiple copies of the core set in order to have a full set of cards. You get all the cards you'll need to play the game on a competitive level.

If you're playing against another player, the only reason you'd each want a copy is so that you can both play with some or all of the same specs, like if you wanted to play Red vs. Red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.