$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 97.83

6,240 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Trickerion: Legends of Illusion» Forums » General

Subject: How is this with 2, and how long? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great with two, as long as you pick up the expansion, Trickerion: Dahlgaard's Gifts, which tightens up the board considerably. Our 2p games last around 90 minutes. My first game (4p, with 3 new players) was right around 2 hours. It's definitely in our top 10, but we typically tend to enjoy medium-heavy euro's in general.

One word of caution though - it looks to be quite a bit heavier than anything you have rated in your collection.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
Great with two, as long as you pick up the expansion, Trickerion: Dahlgaard's Gifts, which tightens up the board considerably. Our 2p games last around 90 minutes. My first game (4p, with 3 new players) was right around 2 hours. It's definitely in our top 10, but we typically tend to enjoy medium-heavy euro's in general.

One word of caution though - it looks to be quite a bit heavier than anything you have rated in your collection.


Thank you for the information!

I don't mind heavy games - What would you say this is on par with? Agricola? Caverna? La Granja?

Though could you clarify what you mean by "heavy?" I've found people often have varying definitions of what it means to them.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually find that the BGG ratings are on par with my experiences. I have both Agricola and Caverna and find Trickerion much heavier, both in terms of rules to remember and gameplay depth.

First, some comparative BGG weights:

Agricola - 3.63
Caverna - 3.79
Trickerion - 4.01

That 0.25 might not seem like much, but I consider it the heaviest game I own. Much of that is due to the sheer amount of cards and abilities to keep track of. If you play the full game, there's a constantly rotating prophecy that changes the rules of the game every round. You see the next coming 2 prophecies, so you need to plan for them accordingly, unless someone exercises and ability to change that and screw you over. All players also have variable player powers that you can change over the coarse of the game, and it's sometimes difficult to determine which of the 9 cards in your hand you want to be active in a given turn, and what other players have active as well. The planning aspect is also quite a brain burner, as you need specific materials for specific tricks. However, you don't consume materials, so you'll often spend a lot of time trying to figure out what materials to buy to let you construct the most tricks with the fewest buy actions. It's a HUGE optimization game where I usually feel like I need to plan out around half of the game in the first 2 turns. And this is a small part of the gloriously interwoven monstrosity that is Trickerion.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trickerion can (and should, in my opinion) be played like a modern-boardgame version of chess. Like Lawrence said, there is ample opportunity to think deeply about your strategy in this game, and analyse your own options, your opponent's options, and your own possibilities for response depending on what your opponent does.

Or, it can be played only for it's thematic value.

But I would be careful not to mix players with a "let's play this fast" attitude and players with a "let's analyse everything" attitude at the same session

This was the first modern boardgame I bought, as a gift for my wife. I didn't really understand the level of complexity I was going for, and the learning curve was steep. The absolutely wonderful theme had my wife soldiering through the first couple of games, in spite of lots of reading the rules and misinterpreting some important rules in the beginning. Luckily, we both made it through, and this is one of our absolute favourite games!

The way we play it, it takes perhaps 5 hours for a two player game, so we don't play it all that often, but it's an absolute treat every time. It's a bit like christmas, where the anticipation of getting to play it soon is part of the experience, and once we play, I want it to last
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the expansion it plays very well at 2. We mostly play this one as a 2p with my spouse and we both enjoy it very much. It is without any doubt in our top 3.

Our 2p games last around 1h30 with Dark Alley but without Magician Powers. Now that we always play with Magician Powers I would say it has increased to 1h45.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kakawette wrote:
With the expansion it plays very well at 2. We mostly play this one as a 2p with my spouse and we both enjoy it very much. It is without any doubt in our top 3.

Our 2p games last around 1h30 with Dark Alley but without Magician Powers. Now that we always play with Magician Powers I would say it has increased to 1h45.


Thank you for the info - May I ask, what are your other top games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
kakawette wrote:
With the expansion it plays very well at 2. We mostly play this one as a 2p with my spouse and we both enjoy it very much. It is without any doubt in our top 3.

Our 2p games last around 1h30 with Dark Alley but without Magician Powers. Now that we always play with Magician Powers I would say it has increased to 1h45.


Thank you for the info - May I ask, what are your other top games?

I'd guess something along these lines? ^^
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/kakawette?subt...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tobl wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:
kakawette wrote:
With the expansion it plays very well at 2. We mostly play this one as a 2p with my spouse and we both enjoy it very much. It is without any doubt in our top 3.

Our 2p games last around 1h30 with Dark Alley but without Magician Powers. Now that we always play with Magician Powers I would say it has increased to 1h45.


Thank you for the info - May I ask, what are your other top games?

I'd guess something along these lines? ^^
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/kakawette?subt...


Maybe - not everyone keeps up with their ratings and collection. I'll go ahead and wait for him to respond for himself
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Jeffreys
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Including all the setup time, with all expansions/options, we completed a 2 player game in about 2h15 last night.
We did have to review the rules a few times during play, but the the game felt engaging the entire time.

It's a great game, but will take a number of plays before you're quick at calculating the best actions for a given turn - many permutations, with minimal luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
I usually find that the BGG ratings are on par with my experiences. I have both Agricola and Caverna and find Trickerion much heavier, both in terms of rules to remember and gameplay depth.

First, some comparative BGG weights:

Agricola - 3.63
Caverna - 3.79
Trickerion - 4.01

That 0.25 might not seem like much, but I consider it the heaviest game I own. Much of that is due to the sheer amount of cards and abilities to keep track of. If you play the full game, there's a constantly rotating prophecy that changes the rules of the game every round. You see the next coming 2 prophecies, so you need to plan for them accordingly, unless someone exercises and ability to change that and screw you over. All players also have variable player powers that you can change over the coarse of the game, and it's sometimes difficult to determine which of the 9 cards in your hand you want to be active in a given turn, and what other players have active as well. The planning aspect is also quite a brain burner, as you need specific materials for specific tricks. However, you don't consume materials, so you'll often spend a lot of time trying to figure out what materials to buy to let you construct the most tricks with the fewest buy actions. It's a HUGE optimization game where I usually feel like I need to plan out around half of the game in the first 2 turns. And this is a small part of the gloriously interwoven monstrosity that is Trickerion.


\Trick really isn't that heavy if you are acquainted with heavier games. I would deem it mid-weight to be fair. Not much more complex than Agricola and about the same as Bruxelles 1893.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi sorry for late answer I didn't subscribe to the thread so I didn't saw the question earlier.

My collection & rating is up to date. I don't have a huge game library as some have, but my top games are Trickerion, Vinhos, Scythe, The Gallerist, Mage Knight. Not my preferred ones but very much enjoyed: Marco Polo, Shakespeare, Kanban, Fileds of Arle, Caverna...

I like medium/heavy Euro games mostly as you can see
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.