$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 104.23

6,536 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.2% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: A shit ton of famous people rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Whedon put out the call:

Quote:
Doing a voting PSA to help get out the vote and stop orange Muppet Hitler.


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Whedon put out the call:

Quote:
Doing a voting PSA to help get out the vote and stop orange Muppet Hitler.




Wonder which Mark Ruffalo movie that would be?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it that an imperial or metric ton - enquiring minds want to know. It may be important in a monty python movie someday.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Despite the incredibly condescending video I still won't be voting for Trump so the shit ton of famous people can breath a collective sigh of relief.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ordinary
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As entertaining as this was. I can't imagine having actors appear moved by their scripted words while ostensibly appearing as themselves would change anybody's mind.

Going funny was a big mistake while saying, "This is serious."

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: A shit ton of famous people want JILL
surprise Jill Whedon! 'moi' "approved", since, I'm FULL-ON 'hetero' as she'll confer the 'sexual'-append. /blush\
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The Avengers could not unite against a more dangerous adversary.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Shampoo4you wrote:
The Avengers could not unite against a more dangerous adversary.
TRUMP ...in a 'Gazebo'? surprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flamespeak wrote:
Why in the world do famous people think that their political opinions are somehow more valid than some random trucker or barista?


They don't. They think their opinions are more likely to be heard and paid attention to by more people than some random trucker or barista. The first one is absolutely true. The second...well, that's highly arguable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
flamespeak wrote:
Why in the world do famous people think that their political opinions are somehow more valid than some random trucker or barista?


They don't. They think their opinions are more likely to be heard and paid attention to by more people than some random trucker or barista. The first one is absolutely true. The second...well, that's highly arguable.


...but, of course, they included the 'random trucker or barista' in the video, anyway. Just in case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does any one really listen to them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
Shoring up the base? I'm not sure that's a good sign.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Having celebrities endorse anything generally makes me want to do the opposite but the goal here seems to be encouraging the youth vote. On that basis it doesn't seem like bad politics.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Knewt wrote:
Shoring up the base? I'm not sure that's a good sign.


Most reasoned analyses seem to be saying that despite all the hoopla the actual voting groups for 2016 don't seem that much different to 2008 / 2012. Trump has most of the usual GOP vote with a dip from college educated women. Clinton has most of the usual Democratic vote with a dip from youth voters.

Assuming that's accurate, then anything that helps with youth voters from the Clinton side is worth trying. I'd imagine ever more cheesy attempts leading up to the vote.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was funny.

At least Whedon didn't use a scumbag like Ted Nugent.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I thought it was funny.

At least Whedon didn't use a scumbag like Ted Nugent.
Don't you mean the unconvicted pedophile Ted Nugent?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
myopia wrote:
Knewt wrote:
Shoring up the base? I'm not sure that's a good sign.


Most reasoned analyses seem to be saying that despite all the hoopla the actual voting groups for 2016 don't seem that much different to 2008 / 2012. Trump has most of the usual GOP vote with a dip from college educated women. Clinton has most of the usual Democratic vote with a dip from youth voters.

Assuming that's accurate, then anything that helps with youth voters from the Clinton side is worth trying. I'd imagine ever more cheesy attempts leading up to the vote.


Accuracy and chicks. Volatile combination.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
As entertaining as this was. I can't imagine having actors appear moved by their scripted words while ostensibly appearing as themselves would change anybody's mind.

Going funny was a big mistake while saying, "This is serious."



mutton_chops wrote:
flamespeak wrote:
Why in the world do famous people think that their political opinions are somehow more valid than some random trucker or barista?


They don't. They think their opinions are more likely to be heard and paid attention to by more people than some random trucker or barista. The first one is absolutely true. The second...well, that's highly arguable.


myopia wrote:
Having celebrities endorse anything generally makes me want to do the opposite but the goal here seems to be encouraging the youth vote. On that basis it doesn't seem like bad politics.


Here's the thing all of you are missing. Saying that people want an educated voter base sounds good... but they don't really care. What they want is voters who vote the way they want. So they don't care if the young voter base is educated. They just care that they vote for the candidate with the (D) next to their name. This video has zero substance. It's all just "THE OTHER GUY IS EVIL!!!" Nothing about why to vote for Hillary, just a lot of name calling of the other guy.

When someone votes for a Republican, then the voter isn't educated. When someone votes for a Democrat, then it doesn't matter if the voter is educated or not because they voted the right way.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
Aetheros wrote:
As entertaining as this was. I can't imagine having actors appear moved by their scripted words while ostensibly appearing as themselves would change anybody's mind.

Going funny was a big mistake while saying, "This is serious."



mutton_chops wrote:
flamespeak wrote:
Why in the world do famous people think that their political opinions are somehow more valid than some random trucker or barista?


They don't. They think their opinions are more likely to be heard and paid attention to by more people than some random trucker or barista. The first one is absolutely true. The second...well, that's highly arguable.


myopia wrote:
Having celebrities endorse anything generally makes me want to do the opposite but the goal here seems to be encouraging the youth vote. On that basis it doesn't seem like bad politics.


Here's the thing all of you are missing. Saying that people want an educated voter base sounds good... but they don't really care. What they want is voters who vote the way they want. So they don't care if the young voter base is educated. They just care that they vote for the candidate with the (D) next to their name. This video has zero substance. It's all just "THE OTHER GUY IS EVIL!!!" Nothing about why to vote for Hillary, just a lot of name calling of the other guy.

When someone votes for a Republican, then the voter isn't educated. When someone votes for a Democrat, then it doesn't matter if the voter is educated or not because they voted the right way.



I was talking the demographics not the merits. Sure, people who vote for Clinton because Robert Downey Junior says Trump is bad aren't thinking very deeply about their vote.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
[When someone votes for a Republican, then the voter isn't educated. When someone votes for a Democrat, then it doesn't matter if the voter is educated or not because they voted the right way.

I don't feel that's true. I think people vote the way they do based on the differing weights they place on the issues. Education may adjust those weights, on average in a particular way, but so do many other things like age or geographical location.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew, are you a masochist? Two data points that support that:

1. you complain about RSP, yet continue to hang out here
2. you complain about twitter, but appear to use it quite a bit
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
[When someone votes for a Republican, then the voter isn't educated. When someone votes for a Democrat, then it doesn't matter if the voter is educated or not because they voted the right way.

I don't feel that's true. I think people vote the way they do based on the differing weights they place on the issues. Education may adjust those weights, on average in a particular way, but so do many other things like age or geographical location.


I am not talking about education as an issue. I am talking about those who disagree with Republicans and conservatives saying that those who vote that way aren't educated about issues. Of course, some kid who sees this video and thinks it's hilarious (which it is) and bases their vote on that.... they are wildly uneducated, but that doesn't matter because Democrat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish people would quit posting tweets. I don't give a flaming fuck about some random dork-nozzle has to say whether he's a libtard or a conservanazi. Maybe I'm a grouchy old man but I hate this. Now they bake commentary from captain who-gives-a-fuck into everything from the news to RSP.

Now git' off my lawn!

The only random nobodys opinion I care about is you guyz...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
I wish people would quit posting tweets. I don't give a flaming fuck about some random dork-nozzle has to say whether he's a libtard or a conservanazi. Maybe I'm a grouchy old man but I hate this. Now they bake commentary from captain who-gives-a-fuck into everything from the news to RSP.

Now git' off my lawn!

The only ranom nobodys opinion I care about is you guyz...

I usually do it as a form of attribution and so others can easily find the original and any replies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.