Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael B
United States
South Jordan
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please tell me the differences between the first game and the tactical card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Primarily it is scale. HON is platoon level, this is company? level. I always get this confused.

Also this is much more card-driven than HON.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Receveur
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
HON : platoon (1 to 6 soldiers)
HON tactical: company (one unit it's 60 to 100 soldiers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No map or counters or activation blocks? So, completely different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the major difference is the movement:
In the tile game, movement is a big deal - maps are 20+ squares. Many units will not fire on the move. Terrain interfere with movement and shooting. Ranges are usually infinite.
In the card game, the map is 5x5. Most of the units move and fire without penalty. Ranges are usually 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Twilightling wrote:
I think one of the major difference is the movement:
In the tile game, movement is a big deal - maps are 20+ squares. Many units will not fire on the move. Terrain interfere with movement and shooting. Ranges are usually infinite.
In the card game, the map is 5x5. Most of the units move and fire without penalty. Ranges are usually 1.
The original HoN could sort of, maybe, almost, kinda be thought of as a card-driven wargame, if you squinted and tilted your head sideways. This effort however smacks of simply "extending the brand" and looks more like an abstract (with square cards) than anything else.

I can see if you're already a devotee of the cartoony HoN universe then you might pick this up as an in-joke or occasional odd diversion, but gameplaywise I'm just not feeling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KOSZO Axel
msg tools
publisher
I disagree with you. I think you haven't well read the rules. The boardgame is a game in which your order planning is very important.

In the card game, no order planning, the important is to make the right chaining to optimize your orders (action).

So, it's 2 different philosophies which are complementary.

Axel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Lowe
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
The two Games are totally different.

If you have played them both or at least read the rules you would see this quite clearly.

The Heroes of Normandie board game plays like a tabletop war-game but with added board game mechanics.

As for the comment of expanding the brand, seriously, why not say that about every expansion that anyone releases for any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although they may look the same, they are very different birds. This game, as Axle mentioned is all about chaining your actions. Commanders are super important to allowing xtra 'possible' actions and bringing reserves on the board. The mechanics are easier per say due to the stats on the counters being more simplified than the original board game (I am thinking mostly vehicles as an example). This is not to take away from strategy and hard decisions as the game will provide a challenge and fast play with, I am sure, PLENTY of missions to spice it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Receveur wrote:
HON : platoon (1 to 6 soldiers)
HON tactical: company (one unit it's 60 to 100 soldiers)

I would say HON would be more of a squad level game. 40 to 50 men usually make up a platoon, 6 to 10 is normally a squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.