18 Posts

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: My 3D printed game box organizer. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Burkett

South Carolina
msg tools
I've had a 3D printer since last year and enjoy printing all kinds of stuff on it. I've seen all the foam board organizers and like the idea, but am more comfortable designing and printing than cutting foam. Its also a little beefier if you were to accidentally drop the box or something on it. SO, my printer is too small to be able to print a one piece tray that would fit the 9.75" box. I designed 4 smaller trays that glue together to make a single large tray. I did that for a lower tray and another upper tray. I've printed the lower and glued together and tested the fit. The cards fit with sleeves on them as well. I am in the process of printing the upper tray pieces as we speak. I will include a link to the files on Thingiverse for anyone else that likes my design and would like to print their own.
LOWER TRAY:

UPPER TRAY MODEL:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
Looks good! Are the trays designed so that the lid sits flush on the box or is there a slight gap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mostowski
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah looks nice.

How long you "printed" ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Burkett

South Carolina
msg tools
Quiarcus wrote:
Looks good! Are the trays designed so that the lid sits flush on the box or is there a slight gap?

There is a slight gap around 3mm to allow the rules to sit on top. Hopefully it will be enough. I'll take pictures of the gap once the upper tray is finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Burkett

South Carolina
msg tools
MadMo wrote:
Yeah looks nice.

How long you "printed" ??

It took about 12hrs to print the lower tray pieces total. It will be about the same for the top tray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is sick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wallin
msg tools
This is great, awesome work! Its a bit hard to see from the pictures, but i guess the cards wont fit if i use FFG sleeves?
And do you have room in there for the two Witch Hunter and the Trollslayer expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it. I had never even really thought of 3d printed trays. How much do you think something like this would cost based on the cost of materials and whatnot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it work with sleeved cards (FFG)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Burkett

South Carolina
msg tools
Air Duck wrote:
This is great, awesome work! Its a bit hard to see from the pictures, but i guess the cards wont fit if i use FFG sleeves?
And do you have room in there for the two Witch Hunter and the Trollslayer expansions?

MuRRe wrote:
Does it work with sleeved cards (FFG)?

I designed it to use with sleeves. I am using Mayday Games sleeves.
the small card trays are 65.8mm x 44.8mm (2.59in x 1.76in) and the large card trays are 90.8mm x 59.8mm (3.574in x 2.354in). I have to wait on my expansions to arrive (unless my order gets cancelled)to know for sure. Without sleeves, yes. With sleeves, the cards get "fluffy" and take up more room. There is still room there, but you have to push down the cards with sleeves to get extra room. You could always put the expansions in with the Quest cards if you are sleeving and run out of room.

Mr_Dove wrote:
I love it. I had never even really thought of 3d printed trays. How much do you think something like this would cost based on the cost of materials and whatnot?

I'll try to calculate materials cost later and let you know what it cost me in materials to make mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's amazing, dude!

How much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rintjema
Canada
Beamsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow ... that, is a thing of beauty .. sniff ... Salute!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I look at this the more I love it. Companies like Broken Token have been selling wood organizers for some popular games. I like this even better. I would pay at least as much for this organizer.

Maybe you should consider designing these for a few popular games, assuming your costs are low enough to make it profitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
Trouble is home 3d printing is just too slow to make it profitable - trays can take days to print depending on complexity and size. I'm printing some trays for my Imperial Assault box (condensing the core and 1 expansion into a single wooden box)and a tray large enough to hold 6 minis takes about 3 hours to print at standard quality (can make it faster, but then it doesn't look as good). Not sure about the speed of the more expensive printers though.

Costs for me are pretty good. I can pick up 1kg of PLA for about 35rmb (£4, $5.25 at time of writing) which contains about 330m of material. The aforementioned miniature tray takes 14.11m of material to make, so about 1.5rmb (£0.17, $0.22, ATW), plus electricity of course (which I have yet to measure, but doesn't feel that high).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Burkett

South Carolina
msg tools
I'll look at my cost better tomorrow. I've been working night shift this weekend. I can get a 1kg spool for around $25 here in US. I think I could easily get 4 or 5 sets of complete trays out of a spool.
That would be $5-6 per set my cost. It probably takes 25 hours of print time for one set of trays. I would also have to see what shipping would be for a set. I think a flat rate USPS box for around $6 would do it in the USA. I'll look more in depth tomorrow. I could see making these for $20-25 shipped in the US and anywhere else paying anything above $6 shipping extra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
These look great. Did you already upload them to Thingiverse?

I would love to print the top/bottom as single prints, since I have a large bed printer at my disposal... perhaps a variant option to upload?

I'm guessing you don't want to share the design files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Burkett

South Carolina
msg tools
I will post the files on Thingiverse(including a one piece tray those with larger printers) once I verify all the pieces fit properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donat
msg tools
Just a kind reminder - couldnt find the files on thingiverse! I would like to print that beauty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.