Subject: Faction Color Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Court
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
For my copy of War of the Ring, I painted each miniature a solid base color to match which nation they are apart of using the colors recommended in the manual. So, I have:

* Dwarves - Brown
* Elves - Light Green
* Gonder - Dark Blue
* The North - Light Blue
* Rohan - Dark Green
* Isengard - Yellow
* Sauron - Red
* Southrons & Easterlings - Orange

All the leaders are painted white, with just their flags painted their nation's color. The Ringwraiths are painted a charcoal color. Finally, I left the Companions/Minions unpainted for now.

With the new Faction miniatures in Warriors of Middle Earth, I would like to do the same by painting each faction a different color. However, the manual doesn't have any suggested colors for each faction.

Therefore, I would like to ask the community: What color do you think each faction should be?

As it currently stands, the Free People's colors are "Cool"/"Earthtone", while the Shadow nations colors are "Warm"/"Aggressive". I think this theme should be conveyed to the factions as well.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
Rafamir has posted some info about a coloured preview version:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22739795#22739795

Rafamir wrote:
A preview* of the limited edition painted version showed white bases for the Free Peoples factions and black bases for the Shadow's. In contrast to the old Collectors Edition, where the Dunlendings had Isengard-colored bases, that distinction is no longer as relevant to game play. The factions are allies of each player's forces rather than integral parts of any specific nation.

*Edit: Here's an image: http://www.gioconomicon.net/images/stories/componenti//Spiel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could go with a bone/beige/ivory for the deadmen and purple for the spiders. Not sure about the eagles, I would have gone with golden yellow but you have Isengard as yellow already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There are Some Who Call Me... Tim
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also painted my bases, but I went with different colors for the Shadow nations (mainly because I wanted to use white for Isengard).

The main purpose of the bases is to be able to distinguish between similar-looking figures - orcs, men and cavalry, primarily.

As such, I'm not worried too much about the bases for the spiders and eagles. Their sculpts are distinct enough.

But the dead men will need something. For mine, it can't be white or light green. That leaves... um... not sure. At all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finrodimus wrote:
I also painted my bases, but I went with different colors for the Shadow nations (mainly because I wanted to use white for Isengard).

The main purpose of the bases is to be able to distinguish between similar-looking figures - orcs, men and cavalry, primarily.

As such, I'm not worried too much about the bases for the spiders and eagles. Their sculpts are distinct enough.

But the dead men will need something. For mine, it can't be white or light green. That leaves... um... not sure. At all.

Might I suggest a white base coat with either a green or blue glaze? Or maybe the new gem overcoat from Citadels? Give them a glowy sort of effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good question! I was thinking about this myself, since I have a similar painted set (by Nation colors)

It would be nice to have an "official" color scheme, but I think it is not possible to add 6 new colors in. Unfortunately for the OP, you made a couple of non-standard decisions. Isengard should have been yellow. And your leaders should have been gray, based in Nation colors, as gray is their identifying color.

Seems like the closest to an official ruling would be that all "good" factions are white and all "evil" factions are black. I think that would work for most people who went with the solid colors scheme.

Perhaps my suggestion for the OP is to do all gray for factions, with the white and black basing as indicated in Raf's preview pic?

My goal with the painting was chiefly a practical one, rather than aesthetic (although it is that as well). The purpose was to quickly highlight piece identity, so that you could pick out where their were mixed Nations, Leaders and such (since some event cards have this requirement). I am not sure if the same will be true for some of the new event cards, but it could easily be. It would be nice to see at a glance where the factions have presence for possible card play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Court
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Xookliba wrote:
Unfortunately for the OP, you made a couple of non-standard decisions. Isengard should have been yellow. And your leaders should have been gray, based in Nation colors, as gray is their identifying color.

Assuming by OP you mean me, I believe you have me confused with @Finrodimus as my Isengard figures are painted yellow.

tatze wrote:
Rafamir has posted some info about a coloured preview version:

The white/black color scheme actually makes sense as most of them can't attack on their own and must be added to an army, like a leader. (My leaders are white/black).

InkSplat wrote:
Might I suggest a white base coat with either a green or blue glaze?

This is sort of what I've been thinking now. But instead, mix a little color into the white or black (dark gray) so that they still follow the white/black color scheme, but just off-color enough that you can tell the difference when they are right next to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking

spiders=purple
Eagles=white

Dead men=Teal
Wild men=I'm thinking a different brown
Ships=Black (only other black is nazgul)
Ents=a different green probably
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lyseng
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I painted my figures with a marble or black base-coat, followed by the basic dry brushed figures and solid bases of the suggested colors. My leaders are painted the same, but I think I need to do something more with the flags to make them stand out better. Overall I think this is the best method of painting them considering difficulty, differentiation, and aesthetics.

I am going to do the Dunlendings yellow and the Corsairs orange to match their associated faction. I might give the dead men dark blue bases too with a marble base-coat and teal drybrush on the figures. The rest I will paint with basic realistic colors with either a marble base-coat or black base-coat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm going with grey for the SP factions and green for the FP factions. The reason being that my SP characters already are black and my ents (from BotTA) are green (a separate shade from Rohan and the Elves).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few models left to finish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eagles join the party...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now they're finished!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.