Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to make sure I am understanding scoring fields correctly.

Can you please score the fields in this game. This is a screen capture of the Android app with Inn's and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders.

Thanks!

PS My fist attempt at this post didn't seem to take.. if I end up with two posts, please delete one (Mods). Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Haydock
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
There are two big fields one to the left with 5 cities owned by green (scored 5*4). One with ten cities shared by green and red where both have a pig so both receive (10*5). There are also a few fields on the outskirts with one or two cities adjacent to them and one of green's fields which has no completed cities in it so scores nothing.

Note if you have two men in a field and the others have none, you don't score twice.
If you have a big man in a field and the other person none, you don't score it twice.
If you have a big man in a field and the other person two men, you share the field meaning both players score.
A pig doesn't score on its own, it must be in a field with a man. In the case of a tie and one has a pig and the other doesn't both score but the person with the pig gets five for each city and the one without 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You answered another question I had about the pigs... so you ONLY score for YOUR pigs.. not for your opponents pigs even if you have more farmers in the field than your opponent who owns the pig... is that correct?

The only time you score the extra point for a pig is with your OWN pig. Is that correct?

So it's 4 points per city and 5 with a pig?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I thought under the revised rules farms only score 3 per city (4 with a pig).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Hey I thought under the revised rules farms only score 3 per city (4 with a pig).

Correct.

(Our group also uses the hybrid rules with 4pt for each completed city connected to the field being scored.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Android app scored the 10 cities at 40 points so it must be using 3 points per city and 4 with a pig.

This is a screen capture of the android app actually scoring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
netizen wrote:
The Android app scored the 10 cities at 40 points
This is wrong according to the official rules!

Quote:
...so it must be using 3 points per city and 4 with a pig.
This would be correct. And the initial reply didn't state anything else, either:
nickjhay wrote:
There are two big fields one to the left with 5 cities owned by green (scored 5*4).
5 cities would score 5*3 normally, but score 5*4 due to the pig.
The confusion might come from the next sentence:
Quote:
One with ten cities shared by green and red where both have a pig so both receive (10*5).
This is NOT because both player have their pig in the field, but because of the pig heard tile from the "River II" expansion, which grants an extra +1 bonus to each player owning the farm. And this bonus is treated different from the "wooden pig" bonus, so adds to it. You would also get 3 per city, if you connect a farmer with pig and pig tile to a barn farm (from "Abbey & Mayor"), or 5 points per city from a barn farm with pig tile. (You can't have a barn farm with wooden pig, because the pig will be removed with it's farmer, if you connect it to a barn.)

Note: if you are true sticking to the official rules, the pigfarm tile should only provide it's bonus, if you are playing with "Traders & Builders" (which you did in this game, so there is no explanation, why the app neglected the tile). But since it is treated as a different feature then the wood pig (otherwise it would not provide an additional bonus, likewise two inns on a road or two cathedrals in a city) many people don't bother about that, and score the bonus regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also scored the field with 5 cities as 15, so it must be ignoring the pig herd tile completely.

This is a screen capture of the Android app actually scoring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Haydock
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
Uh huh I hadn't realised that different editions scored differently!! Good to know as the version I have scores 4/5 points whereas the newer version 3/4 points.

A posting already exists for this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/233198/what-official-field-...

And yes you only score with your own pig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
netizen wrote:
It also scored the field with 5 cities as 15, so it must be ignoring the pig herd tile completely.

But that is sound with the rules, as this field is on the other side of the river then the pig herd. Just the fact, that it includes the corner of the tile, does not mean, that it should be granted the bonus. The pig herd itself must be on the farm. (And obviously always can be only on one farm, although this farm might of course include both sides of the tile in other games, e.g. if the pig herd tile is right next to the source or lake tile.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
nickjhay wrote:
Uh huh I hadn't realised that different editions scored differently!! Good to know as the version I have scores 4/5 points whereas the newer version 3/4 points.

A posting already exists for this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/233198/what-official-field-...

And yes you only score with your own pig
So, I did misunderstood you after all. Strange, because the old "4 points per city" farm rule worked completely different. You got 4 points per city, if you had a majority of farmers touching it, this only once per city and regardless, if they were on the same field or not. A summery of the different farm rules with great example pictures can be found at Carcassonne Central in this forum thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My friends and I play the old rules regarding farms. We hate the new ones.

Don't forget about the pig farm if you are playing with the River 2 tiles. That adds another point to farms that is added to the pig to score 6 points per farm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:
Strange, because the old "4 points per city" farm rule worked completely different. You got 4 points per city, if you had a majority of farmers touching it, this only once per city and regardless, if they were on the same field or not.

You're talking about the "Hans im Glück 1st edition rules".

The other people are talking about the "Rio Grande Games old rules", which are more like the newer "Hans im Glück 3rd edition rules", but with 4 points per farmer instead of 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Go the Mighty Chiefs!
mbmbmbmbmb
TrekkieMC wrote:
My friends and I play the old rules regarding farms. We hate the new ones.

Don't forget about the pig farm if you are playing with the River 2 tiles. That adds another point to farms that is added to the pig to score 6 points per farm.
Yeah I liked the old rules. But I can see how the newer ones are a bit easier to understand and score. So I use them now.

Also, maybe the old rules were harder to integrate with some of the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.