Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase Norton
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yig, Father of Serpents

It has been awhile since I posted anything here! I have been working on the Black Goat faction (some Facebookers have seen my Shub), but I took a break for Yig.

In the Story 'The Curse of Yig' a man ventures to Oklahoma and is forever scarred by his encounter with Yig's curse.

My paint scheme of Yig pays tribute to the Native American presence in the story. The (kinda) Lapis gem stones, copper, and turquoise oxidation achieve this quite nicely I think.

Yig and his serpents are painted after the Spotted House Snake, which is the snake one becomes when inflicted with Yig's curse. This gave the snakes a lot of character and drove the rest of Yig's coloration. At the base of the snakes was a rather odd transition I thought, but after I thought that the snakes were actually being birthed from Yig's shoulders, the sculpt made more sense to me. I washed these areas with red to reflect this.

I made Yig's eye Gold, with subtle bronze highlights so that it would remain a focal point in on the sculpt. I imagine the 'claws' gripping it are actually fangs, but I wasn't sure how I could represent this with paint.

The gems were helped greatly by a glazing technique that I had not tried before this sculpt. And now I am going to be spending way more time on all of my paint ups using it.... I think the gems turned out alright, but a trained eye can probably tell I was just flailing about with the lighting of them lol.

My initial use of Nihlax Oxide was less than desirable. I followed the Games Workshop demonstration of 'Slather it one, wipe it away'. This filled in all of the shadowed edges between armor plates, this looked cool at first, but I discovered it removes the light / dark contrast that was there before. I ended up repainting the tail and instead of the 5 min Oxide application I very purposely applied it over an hour.

See my other faction paint ups:
Wind Walker
Sleeper
Opener of the Way
Yellow Sign

New to Neutrals or have some strategies to share with the community? Check out this community lead strategy guide:
Neutral Strategy Guide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will never look at this miniature the same way again! Excellent!

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, just wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Will
United States
Hays
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work, and a great write up about your process for choosing a color palette. I would give you multiple thumbs up if I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, Chase, truly a masterful paint-up. I really love the way you think outside the box with all of these minis and give them a stunning and unique look. Bravo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackchance wrote:
As always, Chase, truly a masterful paint-up. I really love the way you think outside the box with all of these minis and give them a stunning and unique look. Bravo.

Tony! I haven't heard from you in a while. I thought you had moved on to greener pastures or something. I went pretty far out of the box for my Shub paint up. I put it on Facebook and I should have it on the geek in the next week sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmb
Fantastic as ever. LOVE the copper-bronze with subtle verdigris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.