$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 99.18

6,303 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


Quote:
Published on Sep 21, 2016

Authorities have determined that Terrill Thomas, an inmate at Milwaukee County Jail, died of dehydration after six days in his cell with no water. It was declared a homicide. Cenk Uygur and John Iadarola, hosts of The Young Turks, break it down. Tell us what you think in the comment section below.

"Authorities have ruled the death of an inmate at a jail run by a top law enforcement supporter of GOP nominee Donald Trump a homicide caused by “profound dehydration.”

Terrill Thomas, 38, was found dead in a Milwaukee County Jail cell on April 24, nine days after being arrested in connection with a shooting. Other inmates heard Thomas beg for water in the days before he died, the Journal Sentinel reported in July.

The Huffington Post has been tracking jail deaths ― more than 800 ― in the year since Sandra Bland died in a Texas jail on July 13, 2015.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the fuck is wrong with your country?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flamespeak wrote:

Apparently he was placed in segregation because of his erratic behavior, which makes sense because he was bipolar. He was offered food (which includes water, milk, or juice all the time in a correctional setting) and refused to take it.

So, while indeed a homicide (the taking of a life by someone else's actions), it probably won't result in a prosecution of anybody if there is proof that he was being offered water and food at regular intervals but not taking it. Inmates confirmed he was being offered and refused it.

A common policy is, after five days of not eating, the inmate is restrained and a feeding tube forced down their throat and food and water is pumped into their stomach. I don't know why that wasn't done here.
This is also not the only death at this jail.

In the days leading up to his death, Thomas begged for water, his family’s attorney, Erik Heipt told the station. “There was at least one other inmate, if not two, that became aware that Mr. Thomas’ water had been shut off and was repeatedly urging jail guards to turn the water back on,” Heipt said. So I cannot see (of course assuming this is true) how this tallies with the idea he was offered liquids.

But as the man who runs it supports Trump we at least know what trump meant about swift justice.
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flamespeak wrote:

Apparently he was placed in segregation because of his erratic behavior, which makes sense because he was bipolar. He was offered food (which includes water, milk, or juice all the time in a correctional setting) and refused to take it.


Source.
By the way dumping the mentally ill in a segregation cell only makes sense if you have a very warped mind. The UK has far too many mentally ill people in prison, the US far far too many.
When you take someone's liberty you assume a duty of care which means personal responsibility. If someone is not receiving fluids it is clear they should be and someone should be responsible. In this case whoever is in charge of the facility should at the very least be sacked.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when someone is nuts and you aren't, letting them die in your custody through inactiin is in fact still murder, or st lewst manslaughter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Yeah, when someone is nuts and you aren't, letting them die in your custody through inactiin is in fact still murder, or st lewst manslaughter.
Or a sign you should also be locked up as mentally ill.

Sorry but this level of lack of empathy smacks of mental illness.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
This all sounds horrendous but mentioning that the head guy is a Trump supporters seems pretty gratuitous.

First, how is that relevant to the running of the prison? Second, is there any reason to think the head guy makes the decisions on food / water distribution to individual prisoners?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
This all sounds horrendous but mentioning that the head guy is a Trump supporters seems pretty gratuitous.

First, how is that relevant to the running of the prison? Second, is there any reason to think the head guy makes the decisions on food / water distribution to individual prisoners?
Because of a recent speech by trump bemoaning how easy certain kinds of prisoners have it.

It smacks of an attitude (well pattern of attitude) that wants to be tough on criminals (as appears to be the case here), regardless of the impact it has on them.

No he does not make those decisions, he can create an legal framework that makes them acceptable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
This all sounds horrendous but mentioning that the head guy is a Trump supporters seems pretty gratuitous.

First, how is that relevant to the running of the prison? Second, is there any reason to think the head guy makes the decisions on food / water distribution to individual prisoners?


Yeah, I thought that was tasteless and transparently politicizing.

"In other news, a 47-year-old man AND UNION SUPPORTER killed fifteen people with his bare hands."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
myopia wrote:
This all sounds horrendous but mentioning that the head guy is a Trump supporters seems pretty gratuitous.

First, how is that relevant to the running of the prison? Second, is there any reason to think the head guy makes the decisions on food / water distribution to individual prisoners?


Yeah, I thought that was tasteless and transparently politicizing.

"In other news, a 47-year-old man AND UNION SUPPORTER killed fifteen people with his bare hands."
Then maybe Trump should not have said he thinks it's sad that a given criminal will get medical care.

Do you really not see the link in attitude here?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
cbazler wrote:
myopia wrote:
This all sounds horrendous but mentioning that the head guy is a Trump supporters seems pretty gratuitous.

First, how is that relevant to the running of the prison? Second, is there any reason to think the head guy makes the decisions on food / water distribution to individual prisoners?


Yeah, I thought that was tasteless and transparently politicizing.

"In other news, a 47-year-old man AND UNION SUPPORTER killed fifteen people with his bare hands."
Then maybe Trump should not have said he thinks it's sad that a given criminal will get medical care.

Do you really not see the link in attitude here?


If they could find a link between the jailer's actions and Trump's speech (i.e. he heard Trump's words, which "inspired" him to mistreat the prisoner) then it would be relevant. In this case there seems to be no connection.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
cbazler wrote:
myopia wrote:
This all sounds horrendous but mentioning that the head guy is a Trump supporters seems pretty gratuitous.

First, how is that relevant to the running of the prison? Second, is there any reason to think the head guy makes the decisions on food / water distribution to individual prisoners?


Yeah, I thought that was tasteless and transparently politicizing.

"In other news, a 47-year-old man AND UNION SUPPORTER killed fifteen people with his bare hands."
Then maybe Trump should not have said he thinks it's sad that a given criminal will get medical care.

Do you really not see the link in attitude here?


If they could find a link between the jailer's actions and Trump (i.e. he heard Trump's words, which "inspired" him to mistreat the prisoner) then it would be relevant. In this case there seems to be no connection.
Well lets draw a line under this then.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:


Quote:
Published on Sep 21, 2016

Authorities have determined that Terrill Thomas, an inmate at Milwaukee County Jail, died of dehydration after six days in his cell with no water. It was declared a homicide. Cenk Uygur and John Iadarola, hosts of The Young Turks, break it down. Tell us what you think in the comment section below.

"Authorities have ruled the death of an inmate at a jail run by a top law enforcement supporter of GOP nominee Donald Trump a homicide caused by “profound dehydration.”

Terrill Thomas, 38, was found dead in a Milwaukee County Jail cell on April 24, nine days after being arrested in connection with a shooting. Other inmates heard Thomas beg for water in the days before he died, the Journal Sentinel reported in July.

The Huffington Post has been tracking jail deaths ― more than 800 ― in the year since Sandra Bland died in a Texas jail on July 13, 2015.


That's horrible. I hope it is investigated and the appropriate punishment meted out by qualified individuals with all due process to the prison guards or whoever.

The obvious being said, what the fuck are you doing continuously quoting this Young Turk crap Maxo? C'mon man, you're better than that....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
galad2003 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:


Quote:
Published on Sep 21, 2016

Authorities have determined that Terrill Thomas, an inmate at Milwaukee County Jail, died of dehydration after six days in his cell with no water. It was declared a homicide. Cenk Uygur and John Iadarola, hosts of The Young Turks, break it down. Tell us what you think in the comment section below.

"Authorities have ruled the death of an inmate at a jail run by a top law enforcement supporter of GOP nominee Donald Trump a homicide caused by “profound dehydration.”

Terrill Thomas, 38, was found dead in a Milwaukee County Jail cell on April 24, nine days after being arrested in connection with a shooting. Other inmates heard Thomas beg for water in the days before he died, the Journal Sentinel reported in July.

The Huffington Post has been tracking jail deaths ― more than 800 ― in the year since Sandra Bland died in a Texas jail on July 13, 2015.


That's horrible. I hope it is investigated and the appropriate punishment meted out by qualified individuals with all due process to the prison guards or whoever.

That remains to be seen:

Quote:
Yet 10 inmates died in the sheriff’s office’s custody between 2008 and 2012, a Journal Sentinel investigation found in 2014. One man died after his water was cut off, another man committed suicide after not receiving his antidepressant medication and a woman suffering from chest pains never received any treatment. No staff members faced charges, and just two corrections officers received discipline in those deaths, according to the Journal Sentinel.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/milwaukee-inmate-death...
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:


Quote:
Published on Sep 21, 2016

Authorities have determined that Terrill Thomas, an inmate at Milwaukee County Jail, died of dehydration after six days in his cell with no water. It was declared a homicide. Cenk Uygur and John Iadarola, hosts of The Young Turks, break it down. Tell us what you think in the comment section below.

"Authorities have ruled the death of an inmate at a jail run by a top law enforcement supporter of GOP nominee Donald Trump a homicide caused by “profound dehydration.”

Terrill Thomas, 38, was found dead in a Milwaukee County Jail cell on April 24, nine days after being arrested in connection with a shooting. Other inmates heard Thomas beg for water in the days before he died, the Journal Sentinel reported in July.

The Huffington Post has been tracking jail deaths ― more than 800 ― in the year since Sandra Bland died in a Texas jail on July 13, 2015.


That's horrible. I hope it is investigated and the appropriate punishment meted out by qualified individuals with all due process to the prison guards or whoever.

The obvious being said, what the fuck are you doing continuously quoting this Young Turk crap Maxo? C'mon man, you're better than that....


Why do you feel reporting the facts is crap?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:


Quote:
Published on Sep 21, 2016

Authorities have determined that Terrill Thomas, an inmate at Milwaukee County Jail, died of dehydration after six days in his cell with no water. It was declared a homicide. Cenk Uygur and John Iadarola, hosts of The Young Turks, break it down. Tell us what you think in the comment section below.

"Authorities have ruled the death of an inmate at a jail run by a top law enforcement supporter of GOP nominee Donald Trump a homicide caused by “profound dehydration.”

Terrill Thomas, 38, was found dead in a Milwaukee County Jail cell on April 24, nine days after being arrested in connection with a shooting. Other inmates heard Thomas beg for water in the days before he died, the Journal Sentinel reported in July.

The Huffington Post has been tracking jail deaths ― more than 800 ― in the year since Sandra Bland died in a Texas jail on July 13, 2015.


That's horrible. I hope it is investigated and the appropriate punishment meted out by qualified individuals with all due process to the prison guards or whoever.

The obvious being said, what the fuck are you doing continuously quoting this Young Turk crap Maxo? C'mon man, you're better than that....


Why do you feel reporting the facts is crap?



The spin they put on it and shitty journalism designed for millennials. If I started quoting articles from some crazy right wing website I would expect you to do the same to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. I listen to a variety of sources and I agree with their editorial slant. I find the lead guy to be fair in considering other sides of the issue. For example, watch their video segment on the Crutcher shooting where he highlights police departments with good training.

They take on issues ignored by mainstream media.

I'm more liberal than you which is probably why I find them increasingly spot on and interesting.

In this case, with the man begging for water and with other inmates telling you he is begging for water, it is a stanford prison case going on.

Whoever was in charge of this man's care should go to jail. Anyone in charge while he was begging for water is jointly responsible for conspiracy to murder.

(I listen to fox and local conservative talk shows as well plus occasionally laura ingram. When I say that people don't typically jump in and say I shouldn't listen to them. They are incredibly biased.

By not listening to young turks or at least similar sources, you are building yourself a bubble.
)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flamespeak wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
flamespeak wrote:

Apparently he was placed in segregation because of his erratic behavior, which makes sense because he was bipolar. He was offered food (which includes water, milk, or juice all the time in a correctional setting) and refused to take it.


Source.
By the way dumping the mentally ill in a segregation cell only makes sense if you have a very warped mind. The UK has far too many mentally ill people in prison, the US far far too many.
When you take someone's liberty you assume a duty of care which means personal responsibility. If someone is not receiving fluids it is clear they should be and someone should be responsible. In this case whoever is in charge of the facility should at the very least be sacked.


http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/investigations/2016/09/15...

Quote:
The tap water in Thomas' cell was shut off the day he was brought to the segregation unit, Berry said; those taps are inmates' primary source of drinking water. Berry said a corrections officer told him the water was shut off because of Thomas' erratic behavior in his previous cell.

He said Thomas was also refusing food.


Apparently he was being held while awaiting psychological evaluation as well.

As I said failure of duty of care. Sackings and criminal proceedings against the decision makers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.