Hit Z Road» Forums » Variants

Subject: Little Improvements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
3 little tweaks that we will try to mitigate a possible runaway-leader or rich-get-richer problem ( if the game has this ? ):

1) keep resourses hidden ( already mentioned in other threads )

2) the player with the highest bid pays one of the resourses he has to pay to the player with the lowest bid ( if more than one player have bid zero, the last player to choose path gets the resourse ). Example: highest bid is 4 - players pays 3 to the bank and one to the player with the lowest bid.

3) Keep the second card of the first path hidden until every player has chosen his path.

What do you think?
Any ideas?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1: Hidden resources will cause you to make bad bids, either losing resources due to overbidding or taking bad paths due to underbidding. Thus you will be more likely to die.

2: This change would put more resources into the economy, decreasing the tension in the game. Everyone has the same chances except for bidding turn order and you aren't building an engine that gets your returns. Moreover, a rich player can afford to bid 0 and then get an extra resource. It is the players with few resources that need to bid for the safer paths. (The poor get poorer; you are adding insult to injury by giving their resources to players who aren't desperate. Once someone can't bid, it is probably too late for them.)

3: Here you are adding randomness (which could be fun) but sometimes removing tension from the auction. In the solo game you need to add some mystery because you've lost the decision of taking second best to avoid blowing more resources on the auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
Do you think the game has a poor-get-poorer or a runaway-leader weakness?
And if so, any idea to mitigate that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has brinkmanship as a key component of the gameplay. Actions have consequences - bidding too high or taking a more dangerous path to get points might result in losing people or resources.

I think the people complaining about a runaway leader were just beaten by someone who either played better or had better luck. It's not a deep game. Risk is part of the theme. It seems to me anything to reduce the risk harms the theme which is what makes the game worth playing.

It sounds like you haven't played it. Instead of trying to "fix" the game, why not play a few times first to see if you think house rules are necessary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Patrick on all points; possibly I should have made his points instead of or in addition to my analysis.

Fabio0907 wrote:
Do you think the game has a poor-get-poorer or a runaway-leader weakness?
And if so, any idea to mitigate that?

In the latter part of the game you spend more resources than you receive, so nobody gets richer. If poor choices or bad luck leave you with too few resources, then you are eliminated and can cheer the zombies full time. Once you are in a bad spot, either you'll get an amazing experience from lucking out on rolls or elimination will be swift.

The only flaw in the design is it might be a bit long for its depth. Experienced players will probably play rounds slightly faster but are more likely to get to the end of the game (playing more rounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Steger
Austria
Absam
flag msg tools
You are right. I havent played the game yet.
But i am looking forward to that.
The presentation of the game is amazing.
I have only referenced to some reviews out there which mentioned that possible flaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.