United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally made it to Chapter 10 of Downwood Tales. Very excited to finally complete the journey.

But I do have a question, before I begin:
The setup instructions talk about "the 5 Critter Citizen tokens", multiple times, to use them to represent the elders.

But there are 6 Critter Citizen tokens!

Is this a misprint? Do I use 5 or all 6?

It shouldn't make an incredible difference, but I'm curious if there's a semi-official answer.

Note that I also haven't read ahead in the chapter, so if the answer is "Citizen 6 joins the group later", that would make sense too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Followup: I went through the chapter with all 6.
With a little bit more rules-fudging and head-scratching-not-worth-asking-rules-questions-about, I managed to finish the campaign and now I'm done with M&M.

(Technically I could play the last "Lost Chapter" with the Tail Feathers link, but I think I'll pass)

After all of this which took me about a year overall through all 3 boxes with many breaks taken, I might write up an extended review of the whole campaign somewhere. But maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
jozxyqk wrote:
I managed to finish the campaign and now I'm done with M&M.

Whoo hooo!
So, do you think you'll ever replay any of it?

My game group just started Downwood recently, and one of the guys, when talking about our list of games, and preferences, he said that he has no desire to play Sorrow & Rememberance ever again. Not because he didn't enjoy it, he very much did... but it was much more about the story than the actual mechanics of playing. Seeing the story unfold, and being a part of it was much more fun than using such and such ability to get past so and so... so the prospect of playing through again to try a new set of abilities, or a different character, is not all that apealing.

My daughter and I played through it all before my game group.. got half way through DT but then took a break... so we still have Downwood to finnish... but I've always had this idea that I'll someday play through the whole campaign again with her. But I'm starting to wonder if that will actually happen.

After reading some of the discussions in the Variants section of the Mice & Mystics forum, I think another play-through could benefit from some tweaking. There have been some good ideas thrown around over there, but they would definately need to be personalized... We shall see.

But if nothing else, the game components could be used to help bring a full on RPG to life. Maybe Mouseguard... that one looks very promising to me.

oh, and sorry to hear about your [censored] organs getting trapped in something. I bet that was painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't think I'll ever play any of the missions again.
I feel similarly to your friend. The story is really fun.
The mechanics are often clunky or frustratingly unclear and require fudging.
I'm happy I played, but I wouldn't do it again.

Overall, I think Mice and Mystics would hugely benefit from an app-assisted 2nd Edition that takes care of all of those mechanical issues and lets you play through the story, much like Mansions of Madness. I'd play that.

.. And as long as I have a free pass to play my userid as an uncontested Scrabble word (which almost happened, twice), I'll deal with the pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.