1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I love this community rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Frick

Iowa
msg tools
This is my first post on here but I have been part of the site for a little bit now. I love learning more and more about board games and the board gaming community, but today was particularly awesome. I recently was medically retired from the United States Army and today had my first appointment with my physical therapist. while we were getting acquainted he ask my hobbies and of course I said board games. He immediately asked if I had heard of boardgamegeek.com, and the next 10 minutes were dedicated to talking about our favorite games and what we liked most. It was the best experience I have had with a medical professional since being injured.
Basically this post is to just say how amazing, varied, and prevalent this community is. And I couldn't be happier to be a part of it.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Encountering a BGGer in real life is always a fantastic experience. It's like being part of a secret society that has the handshake and the password and the bizarre initiation ritual. The minute you know they're like you, you instantly have tons to talk about.

Pete (recently had this happen with the cashier at a local Potbelly restaurant)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You down with the BGG?

(Yeah, you know me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always a trip when you work for a big company and share a building with 3000 other people... then bump into someone you see around work at a convention. Suddenly you feel this weird solidarity even if you've never played a game with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the community, Garrick!

Be sure to get yourself some microbadges so we get an idea of some of your favorite games, hobbies, interests, etc. They cost 8 geek gold each, and it looks like you've already been given a decent amount by the kind folks here.

If you're interested in finding good deals on board games, be sure to subscribe to the Hot Deals forum. I was subscribed for a couple years before I decided to stop buying games for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ginn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my job I regularly work with 3rd party contractors from big firms who do work for us throughout the year. One of the guys I work with from this big firm has been doing work for us for several years and we regularly meet to discuss work, upcoming projects, etc. We were at a lunch not too long ago and he simply asked what I was doing on the weekend. I casually mentioned that I was having some friends over to play board games and he said "Oh, are you are regular board game player?"

Fast forward to 30 minutes later when we're still discussing our favourite games, sharing our BGG collections with each other over our phones and setting up a time to get together outside of work hours to play. It was so delightful. The community is bigger than we realize sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
If you're interested in finding good deals on board games, be sure to subscribe to the Hot Deals forum. I was subscribed for a couple years before I decided to stop buying games for a while.

If there is something to not sub to here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Encountering a BGGer in real life is always a fantastic experience. It's like being part of a secret society that has the handshake and the password and the bizarre initiation ritual. The minute you know they're like you, you instantly have tons to talk about.

But you have an advantage because you can always say, "You know BGG? Well, I'm Pete," and probably get some recognition.

Greg (hopes to one day see a bearded man walking down the street with glowing eyes and a crown so he can ask for an autograph)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

I don't really want to talk about the initiation ritual. (shudders)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

But you have an advantage because you can always say, "You know BGG? Well, I'm Pete," and probably get some recognition.

Greg (hopes to one day see a bearded man walking down the street with glowing eyes and a crown so he can ask for an autograph)
I've never actually done that. I get too self conscious for various reasons. I am not sure even my own gaming group knows me as "Pete on BGG," though that's more because they don't spend much time in the forums here.

Pete (has a weird separation of BGG and real life personae)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I will spill the beans...you have 120 seconds on an OLGS during a flash sale to get enough games (popular games, not the ones that have been in the bargain bin all year) in your cart to qualify for free shipping. Doesn't count if your order doesn't get finalized or a game goes out of stock when you are trying to pay. We try to time it while the site's carts are crashing. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always got a kick out of one of the BGG members posts. As it happens he was playing Dice Masters at a FLGS that I was at. Fast forward to now, we have been having a Friday Game Night for over a year, and typically alternate between his place and mine.

Welcome to the show. Take what I say with half a pound of salt and you should be just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I've never actually done that. I get too self conscious for various reasons. I am not sure even my own gaming group knows me as "Pete on BGG," though that's more because they don't spend much time in the forums here.

...so I guess there is "Pete" and then (Pete).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
You're assuming that being recognized is a good thing. I try to avoid telling people my BGG username... or at least apologize in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Beatrice
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

...so I guess there is "Pete" and then (Pete).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
You're assuming that being recognized is a good thing. I try to avoid telling people my BGG username... or at least apologize in advance.
Nobody has ever asked (why would they?). If someone asked I'd probably tell them my user name, but that's never happened.

Pete (isn't actively trying to avoid recognition, but isn't seeking it either)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:
Nobody has ever asked (why would they?).
It mostly comes up at game conventions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
You down with the BGG?

(Yeah, you know me)

Bradley, what's gonna be the theme of your bar mitzvah? Star Wars? Super heroes?

BGG bitch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:

Try telling them your username is s3kt0r. Not that anyone would recognize it, but I've had to write that out for no-ship math trades before. I always regret I used my throwaway username to download a rulebook here once, thinking I'd never contribute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife informs me that "plezercruz" makes me sound like a pervert and I should never use that term in public.

Pete (has always been amused by that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Didn't anyone tell you you're not supposed to talk about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of us. One of us. One of us!

WELCOME!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! The best way to continue to love this community is to not read the RSP board and any discussion of cell phone usage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slprince wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I misheard the rules and tried to push a whole aubergine up my earhole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
Thunkd wrote:

This made me laugh!

Every community needs its resident logical rationalists (Thunkd), realists, and even its cynics, in addition to its wonderful warm-fuzzy population. There's room on bgg for everyone! The variety of opinions and viewpoints that are openly and politely and passionately traded rather than flamed is part of what makes bgg special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.