Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rebels moving to the system that is secretly their base? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Eldridge
msg tools
Say for example that I am the rebel player and have secretly chosen Geonosis to be my rebel base. I currently have loyalty on the Rodia system and have units there. Could I put a leader on Geonosis and pull units to it, even though it is my base? This would mean that I have units that the empire player sees on the Geonosis system, but if he were to move into that system he would be surprised to find that all the units on my rebel base board are there as well.

Is this correct? Or is the system that the rebel play has chosen as his base off limits to move to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's perfectly legal to move there, and is sometimes a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that is correct indeed, you can occupy the planet on the board even if your unrevealed base is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Eldridge
msg tools
Thank you guys! I was looking everywhere trying to find a rule that stated that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riseupfall wrote:
Thank you guys! I was looking everywhere trying to find a rule that stated that.

Well, it's more that there's no rule saying anything about NOT being allowed to, which would mean that the regular rules apply.

It's worth pointing out that you can activate the system and move units from the Rebel Base space into the main board as well (although doing so will often give the Empire clues as to where your base is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can even move them from the Rebel Base space to or from the system the Base occupies if you're inclined to do so (say, if you want to do a Plan the Assault or the like but aren't prepared to reveal the base to get the forces combined).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Eldridge
msg tools
Why and when is it advantageous for someone to reveal the base early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a four-player game, you sometimes have to do it to prevent a Death Star move + superlaser before you can react.

In two-player, I've done it after I moved the base to a location where I had significant strength already, so that I could do a Plan the Assault with a combined group.

You might also do it in unusual cases to prevent an expected Imperial retreat to the base's location.

There are probably other reasons that might come up as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason is certainly because the Death Star just entered the base's system without any Ground Units and you want to try to destroy it with Death Star Plans before it blows up the base, but you don't have a leader to spare to activate the system (or perhaps you want to use the tactics values of a leader in the base space).

As Doug says, the above can be done in a 1-2 punch combo without giving you a chance to reveal, so you might need to do it even earlier, while the Death Star is adjacent to the base's system.

Other reasons I can think of:

The Imperial Player happens to move some ships into the base's system and battling them would allow you to complete an Objective.

The Imperials may have moved a poorly defended captured leader into the base's system and you want to save them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
The Imperials may have moved a poorly defended captured leader into the base's system and you want to save them.

This scenario makes me chuckle.

Darth Vader: "Move the prisoner to Yavin, we'll deal with him later." Make sure to provide a garrison.

(Prisoner moved. Later...)

General Tagge: "SIR, AS SOON AS WE LANDED THE PRISONER, THE REBELS STORMED OUT OF THEIR FORTRESS TO ATTACK US!"

Mon Mothma: "Thanks so much for returning General Solo to us!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.