Subject: Expected Expansion Path? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Valentine
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious what people's thoughts are on the path FFG is likely to take with expansions for MoM?

Stuffing the tiles and monsters into the box this afternoon just had me thinking what direction they are likely to take?

I know FFG has a reputation for exploiting customers need to buy everything produced - I'm thinking in particular of the decision to remove highly sought after characters from the big box Imperial Assualt expansions - but here they have the first chance to create new content without the need to produce physical items for shipping.

Do we think they'll go down that path, with a mix of free and paid scenarios that will be bought in-app?

Or a mix of that and more expensive big boxed expansions as well? Or even just fail to see the possibilities of the app and go for all boxed product linked apps?

I'd love to see a scenario creator but can't see the company having the foresight to embrace that, without a real cost to consumer to handle the development, moderation and inevitable bug fixing.

But hey, always one for a thought experiment so here's my guess on their possible expansion path -

- Free Halloween scenario not requiring any other expansion, though bet it'll make use of Maniacs if you have them.

- christmas free scenario combined with a paid for set of scenarios, maybe 2 that don't need expansions, 1 that does

Then a couple more scenario packs for the next six months or so.

Then maybe a year after the original release a 'Season 2' boxed release, required to play the following years expansions.

I'd could see that as the model whilst the game remains popular - large releases once a year to add cards, mechanics, etc, with in app purchases of extra scenarios requiring those big boxes.

Maybe some smaller expansions with figures but if that happens I'd have to guess the profit is silly money on the plastic they ship.

I'd also guess at by the third year the expansion would include a campaign option and some kind of scenario to scenario record keeping.

And who knows, maybe by then they'd consider a 30 buck release of a do it yourself game maker - maybe tied to a specific website for sharing scenarios?

Right, enough procrastination, should actually get back to writing this report - any thoughts though? Which way do people expect things to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I believe they will require physical content for most of the digital content they release. This would help with piracy and allow a physical presence on the shelf's for the game. I am hopeful that they release some content that does not require a purchase, because right now the game is not other best value for most customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I hope they do a lot more minis! Since I have everything for MOM that contained minis and I have yet to complete a play of MOM or MOM2, but have got all my enjoyment out of painting.

I think for this whole system to be a success though, FFG is going to have to open the app up to allow custom scenarios. I'm all for buying professionally written content, but once my group gets started on this I just don't see FFG being able to supply content fast enough to keep the game going. I know this from the D&D system that we have been playing and I have been racking my brain to keep coming up with scenarios to play for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best model, both for FFG and customer interest, is to continue making the scenarios themselves free but make some of them require certain physical expansions to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I think we'll get boxed expansions with minis, tiles and items. At least one set in the wilderness (because most of those CotW tiles they just released will only turn up in one scenario otherwise.

I also think we'll get either PoD or LCG clam-shell style scenario expansions, which just come with a few specific cards for app scenarios.

I'm not expecting in-app purchases just because that'll require a lot of work in creating the infrastructure, especially if they want you to be able to share them across devices and platforms.

I don't see a scenario editor as likely, just because they tried it with Descent 2E and it wasn't that popular. That said, it's a possible goldmine if they it so creators can sell scenarios in the app and it's done as a profit share. Very unlikely though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I hope they aren't under the illusion that the game as it stands is A: good value or B: highly replayable. I like it but it's neither and in my opinion they need a lot more material in the works. If they intend to release scenarios mostly just with physical expansions... well, they need to change their thinking.

If they plan on reasonably frequent digital only updates how are they going to be handled and do they intend to charge for most / all of it?

I feel like paid for digital only content is a little more awkward than would be ideal the way the App currently works. How would it work with a free app? You pay for the 'update' with the scenarios? What if you needed to reinstall the App or install it on another device? I guess that's fine on a client like Steam which 'remembers' what you have purchased. It's obviously doable but fiddly with the current setup where the free App is simply updated periodically and every user effectively has the same thing.

IF (huge if) FFG has their finger out and wants to support the game properly they should be looking at having some sort of content out on a bi-monthly basis at least. If they get the balance right that is doable. One large or a couple of small physical expansions over the next 12 months, in between a mix of paid-for and free digital upgrades.

It would require them to have multiple designers creating scenarios simultaneously to handle that sort of release schedule and that's what makes me so doubtful.

I'm afraid that these days I simply have very little faith in FFG as a company and don't trust their judgement, or even their motivation, if I'm being brutally honest. I used to be a fan of theirs but the last 2 years has seen a not-too-gradual 'less for more' approach with all of their games: less content for a higher cost. I believe their current strategy is to give as little as possible for the customer's money and break expansion material up into as many smaller transactions as they can with an ultimately higher gross expenditure for the consumer. Following that pattern would mean paid-for digital content... but with that being maybe a little awkward I feel like what might be in the works is actually... not very much at all.

I am pessimistic. If there's 10 scenarios total (including the current 6)this time next year and it was all paid for then that's a failure in my opinion. They would have bottomed out on value and commitment to the game.

By the way, on the subject of 'free' scenarios. There have not been any to date and there's no evidence there will be any. The 2 just released are NOT free. They are unplayable unless one has purchased FFG product, either 1st edition product or the two new boxes. It may be something of a bonus to get this unexpected extra content years after you bought 'Call of the Wild' or 'Forbidden Alchemy' but it wasn't free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance House
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
I whole heartedly agree.

The game is great but the value is truly terrible. I actually can't believe that these expansions only come with 1 scenario each. I pre-ordered them as I love the game however for me being in NZ that cost was $75 usd each with shipping and gameplay wise all I get is a 2-3 hour scenario?

So that's $27usd per hour of play time. Terrible.

I really hope they start to release free scenarios. I feel if they don't they have really taken the board gaming community for a ride. To be fair they never promised or said they would add more scenarios, gamers just assumed that being digital it was a given, however with only 1 being added per expansion and their silence on the matter I'm finding it hard to believe they will give us anything without a hefty price tag on it.

The scenarios really aren't very repayable, fantastic fun the first time through but subsequent plays once you have beaten a scenario are basically the same and you know what to do.

MoM2e is both one of my favourite games while at the same time being probably the worst value out of my 200game collection currently. Hopefully that changes with more content being added to the app, even if it was a cheap paywall like $5 or $10 per scenario would be fine I think, more akin to time stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
indy lim
msg tools
I am still enamored with this game and went ahead and purchased both expansions. I've played the first scenario the most times, and in the context of introducing the game to people, its still fun watching everyone get into it. It makes a great first impression. But its true the returns diminish with each repeat playthrough, even with the variation baked into the scenario. I think how I'll feel about it will definitely depend on the number of scenarios FFG will put out in the next few months. Its a bit uncharted because they've just put out previous content. Looking at my collection, there are a lot of tiles and monsters here for my $200, and a lot of untapped potential. I doubt the new scenarios will go through more than say a third of it.

So I would like them to release more content without any new physical product. I would be willing to pay say $5 for a "2-hour" scenario. The problem is that they can't anticipate everyone will have all the expansions, so they will have to play to the lowest common denominator (the core box) and add variation if you do have access to the other stuff. But it would be cool to play a scenario based around the Dunwich Horror for example. Will they spend resources to develop a specific scenario for that knowing that a good chunk of the players out there will not have it? I guess maybe it will drive sales, which is the idea.

Are people happy with the pace of releases for Descent: road to legend? I guess they quickly gave us the full campaign and recently announced side quests related to the 9 hero and monster expansions. No word yet on the next campaign, which I suspect might require a purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
I hope they aren't under the illusion that the game as it stands is A: good value or B: highly replayable. I like it but it's neither and in my opinion they need a lot more material in the works. If they intend to release scenarios mostly just with physical expansions... well, they need to change their thinking.

If they plan on reasonably frequent digital only updates how are they going to be handled and do they intend to charge for most / all of it?

I feel like paid for digital only content is a little more awkward than would be ideal the way the App currently works. How would it work with a free app? You pay for the 'update' with the scenarios? What if you needed to reinstall the App or install it on another device? I guess that's fine on a client like Steam which 'remembers' what you have purchased. It's obviously doable but fiddly with the current setup where the free App is simply updated periodically and every user effectively has the same thing.

The Elder Signs app has in app purchases where you unlock scenarios and investigators. Everyone gets the same updates, but the content is locked unless it is paid for. So updates to fix bugs and/or provide new free content are not hindered by not making the right purchases. Uninstalling the app or getting a new device is fine as the store has a 'restore purchases' button. In app purchases are linked to your google or apple account not to the app itself so you will never lose content that you have already paid for. The benefit of this model is that you may not need extra physical content to pay for these scenarios. It would essentially be the PODs they did for MoM 1st ed, just entirely in digital form.

This system could work seamlessly along side free scenarios that come with physical content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If what FFG has been doing with Descent and the app for that game is any indication of what may be in store for MoM, I see them releasing new scenarios periodically (for free) that make use of the existing materials, plus some new tile/figure packs at least once or twice a year that all come with at least one additional scenario, and give ability for more freebies down the line.

Bare in mind I don't own Descent and haven't been keeping up with news about it, I just know there have been additional campaigns added to the app since its release that did not connect to a specific new physical release, so I see no reason that they won't do the same for MoM. There are still plenty of stories to be told with the existing materials, and I think after making the 1st edition bits available to EVERYONE now, they will crank out some more scenarios before we hear about any new physical stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Inmat4251 wrote:
If what FFG has been doing with Descent and the app for that game is any indication of what may be in store for MoM, I see them releasing new scenarios periodically (for free) that make use of the existing materials, plus some new tile/figure packs at least once or twice a year that all come with at least one additional scenario, and give ability for more freebies down the line.

Bare in mind I don't own Descent and haven't been keeping up with news about it, I just know there have been additional campaigns added to the app since its release that did not connect to a specific new physical release, so I see no reason that they won't do the same for MoM. There are still plenty of stories to be told with the existing materials, and I think after making the 1st edition bits available to EVERYONE now, they will crank out some more scenarios before we hear about any new physical stuff.

This is what I hope will happen too. A happy balance between expanding digital content for the core box (enhanced with more map variations if other content is owned) and scenarios tied to specific physical content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Valentine
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
By the way, on the subject of 'free' scenarios. There have not been any to date and there's no evidence there will be any. The 2 just released are NOT free. They are unplayable unless one has purchased FFG product, either 1st edition product or the two new boxes. It may be something of a bonus to get this unexpected extra content years after you bought 'Call of the Wild' or 'Forbidden Alchemy' but it wasn't free.

That's a fantastic point. I guess it's pretty telling that after spending nigh on 80 quid on two boxes of old game material I'm somehow thankful that FFG including anything specific to do with it!

By the way, anyone know off the top of their head how many scenarios were released with the first edition and it's expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim V wrote:
That's a fantastic point. I guess it's pretty telling that after spending nigh on 80 quid on two boxes of old game material I'm somehow thankful that FFG including anything specific to do with it!

I also have got the base game and two collections, spending £146 for the game system with its 6 scenarios.

Since the release of the base game and the announcement/sale of the two collection boxes, there have been many posts here on BGG that refer to the steep cost and the replayability of a handful of scenarios.

As the focal point of most gamer's voices in this hobby, I would personally find it strange if FFG hasn't detailed someone with the task of monitoring the threads/reactions about their games on BGG (at least for one so innovative as this). That said, it will be interesting to see what happens with this game over the next 12 months and see if FFG appear to be taking note/listening to their customer base.

Of course, they are a company and will formulate their own plans for the products in their line; but if they are aware of the opinions that many here on BGG have expressed about the value-for-money and replayability of this game - don't get me wrong, the game itself is a fantastic experience - then surely they must be aware that it is perceived by a fair amount of their customers as being over-priced and that it can only be realistically played a number of times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
I have the MoM 2nd edition 'core set'. And we're really enjoying it and I love painting minis - but I can't help but compare it to something like Imperial Assault - that has a similar distribution model - big boxes full of tiles, minis and cards, but that has whole campaigns of scenarios in each release.

It just seems like so much less value and replayability. I'll be holding off on the 2 boxes released this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Jim V wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

By the way, anyone know off the top of their head how many scenarios were released with the first edition and it's expansions?

5 In the core, 3 in the small box expansion, 5 in the big box expansion and 6 (I think) individual scenario packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
dougposkitt wrote:
Jim V wrote:

I also have got the base game and two collections, spending £146 for the game system with its 6 scenarios.

Since the release of the base game and the announcement/sale of the two collection boxes, there have been many posts here on BGG that refer to the steep cost and the replayability of a handful of scenarios.

I struggle with people complaining about the expansions because... Okay you pay $100 for the base box with four expansions. And you're disappointed. I get that. Maybe there's not as much variety in them as you hoped, that that they're not as replayable. It's a perfectly valid complaint.

But then those people go and pay the same money again, for just two more scenarios? Why? And then moan that it's $200 for 6 scenarios? If $/scenario is the most important metric in measuring the game for you, why would you go out and buy two expansions with the foreknowledge that they will make that figure measurably worse?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:

I struggle with people complaining about the expansions because... Okay you pay $100 for the base box with four expansions. And you're disappointed. I get that. Maybe there's not as much variety in them as you hoped, that that they're not as replayable. It's a perfectly valid complaint.

But then those people go and pay the same money again, for just two more scenarios? Why? And then moan that it's $200 for 6 scenarios? If $/scenario is the most important metric in measuring the game for you, why would you go out and buy two expansions with the foreknowledge that they will make that figure measurably worse?!

Dean, I can see the logic of these posts may appear a bit wonky in terms of people's complaints whilst still coughing up for the additions, but we are all gamers and love our hobby/interest.

There are two sides to this particular coin:

1) Mansions of Madness (2nd Ed) made the game accessible to those of us who cannot be guarranteed to get a ftf group together for play, as well as removing the barrier to entry that the mechanics from the 1st Edition imposed on the game. That FFG has gone ahead and developed/published a 2nd \Edition driven by an app is great news for those who could not get a group together and for those who baulked at the setup difficulties associated with the overseer (keeper?)

That said, as a game it is a unique and innovative product and gives a great gaming experience. Those who have ploughed £70 into the base game and then gone and put in a further £76 for the two collections may - I did for sure - have done so in pursuit of the experience of the game.

2) Despite 1) above, people can, and do, complain about the price that the game and the collections sell for. It is expensive. I think FFG have over-priced it. You, or anyone else, are free to diagree. I'm fine with that.

The game appears to have done quite well, sales wise, and we are all hoping that FFG will develop it even further in 2017 and onwards. Many posts speculate what the nature of future expansions may be and it is clear that the demand is there.

In short, if people enjoy the game they can buy it and the additions, but it is still a valid point that they can also express their opinions about the pricing of it as well, and hope that FFG are listening.

As fabulous as the game is, I will look carefully at any further additions to this system. I love the game, but like many seniors, live on a pension and I do appreciate value for money.

PS FFG - what's with the flimsy boxes these two collections shipped with? Other expansions - Descent and SWIA for example - that are priced simialrly come in sturdy boxes. These flimsy efforts won't survive for too long at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Deano2099 wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
Jim V wrote:

I agree with you. For this reason, I haven't bought the expansions and likely never will. I wish that FFG had waited another 6-12 months to release this game, in which case they could have provided six core scenarios, and two scenarios with each expansion. With ten scenarios available, I doubt there would be as many complaints about cost versus reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
dougposkitt wrote:

As fabulous as the game is, I will look carefully at any further additions to this system. I love the game, but like many seniors, live on a pension and I do appreciate value for money.

PS FFG - what's with the flimsy boxes these two collections shipped with? Other expansions - Descent and SWIA for example - that are priced simialrly come in sturdy boxes. These flimsy efforts won't survive for too long at all.

That's sort of what I'm driving at - if you're after new scenarios, they're bad value for money. If, on the other hand, you're after Cthulu minis for painting or use in any FFG Mythos game, they're the best value product FFG has ever released.

It's unfortunate, of course, that they're the only way to actually get new scenarios at the moment. They are a great product, just not for people with marginal interest in the minis. But it comes down to that gamer desire to have new things now, rather than waiting 3-6 months for another product that offers scenarios at a more competitive price.

The boxes are again part of the fact: they're not actual expansions. They're mini and tile collections, like the Descent hero and monster collections that also don't come in proper boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate enough to pick this up for free, which definitely colours my feelings about "value".

I think it's also worth noting that we're at a strange point in the game's life - FFG probably needed to give these 2 scenarios free to 1st edition owners, in order to keep their custom/goodwill, and they will have wanted to level the playing field for future expansions, getting 1st and 2nd edition people tot eh same point in terms of physical collections.

For those 2 reasons, I will probably end up getting both the existing expansions because what I will end up with feels like a reasonable cash/content ratio, even if £90 of expansions for a 1 month-old game feels weird otherwise.

That said, if the way forward is going to be £45 for 1 scenario, I won't be buying beyond that, and I suspect plenty of other people won't either.

If FFG are smart, they'll keep a steady dribble of content coming, mixing free digital releases, with new physical expansions. They could even vary the digital releases, making the odd one playable with the core box only, but others require the previously released expansions, to show people that there's value in buying the additional physical content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Valentine
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

Oh I'm not disappointed at all and if money had been the most important metric I'd naturally not have invested in the game at all. I wanted more and I got more, which is fantastic.

However despite being happy to invest the money I still know it's not a good deal. I'm happy with that deal, it's a genuinely unique offering, but hey, I'm still clearly paying for a luxury at these prices.

Would just be nice to see FFG experiment with the options they now have available to expand the scenarios available. They after all have done this as an app and a steam application rather than a direct download from their website - those options both allowing paid for downloadable content.

So I ain't unhappy, I just want MORE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Rodrigeus
msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:
Jim V wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

5 In the core, 3 in the small box expansion, 5 in the big box expansion and 6 (I think) individual scenario packs.

Yes, but lets not forget that in 1st Ed there was for each scenario 2 to 3 different objectives (most making each a different scenario in practice) and 2 or 3 different setups (in cards and clues, not map layouts), which made for a lot more value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Rodrigeus
msg tools
pruano wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
Jim V wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

Yes, but lets not forget that in 1st Ed there was for each scenario 2 to 3 different objectives (most making each a different scenario in practice) and 2 or 3 different setups (in cards and clues, not map layouts), which made for a lot more value.

To make things clear for ppl not familiar to 1st Ed, taking the premise of the first scenario in the app, a similar one in 1st could have the following different objectives:

1) Vanderbilt as the cult leader, like the app scenario, who needs to be stopped

2) Vanderbilt as a sacrifice, who would need to be saved

3) Vanderbilt as cultist that came to its senses, was hiding, had to be found and would be essential to stopping the ritual.

While the map layout would be the same, the ritual site and essential elements (itens or npcs) could have 2 different locations each, unknown to the investigators at the start (which also happens in 2nd Ed).

So per the above, one 1st scenario can be considered 3 in 2nd Ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pruano wrote:
pruano wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
Jim V wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

To make things clear for ppl not familiar to 1st Ed, taking the premise of the first scenario in the app, a similar one in 1st could have the following different objectives:

1) Vanderbilt as the cult leader, like the app scenario, who needs to be stopped

2) Vanderbilt as a sacrifice, who would need to be saved

3) Vanderbilt as cultist that came to its senses, was hiding, had to be found and would be essential to stopping the ritual.

While the map layout would be the same, the ritual site and essential elements (itens or npcs) could have 2 different locations each, unknown to the investigators at the start (which also happens in 2nd Ed).

So per the above, one 1st scenario can be considered 3 in 2nd Ed.

Not really fair to say, since the map/items/enemies are all completely variable in 2e. Each edition varies different things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
pruano wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
Jim V wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

Yes but a 'scenario' in first edition was also just three pages in the books, 5 event cards and maybe 10 clue cards. To cover three variations, There is significantly more text (like 3x more) in each 2E scenario than in all three variations of a 1E scenario. They're far deeper stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.