Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florian S.
Germany
Berlin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
From what I saw in the gameplay videos Massive Darkness looked like it has significant similarities to Zombicide Black Plague (which I haven't played). Despite that, it is rated with a weight of 1.6 while ZBP has a weight of 2.3.

Where is the complexity drop mechanically? I am a little worried that it will be too light after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You forget that nobody played it jet. So every rating is just an approximation. You have to watch the gameplay and decide for yourself if it is compley enough for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps any, I think Zombicide should be a weighting of 2.0, and is overweighted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Massive Darkness should be a 2.5-3.0 in my opinion. There were a lot of people claiming it was a simplistic game during the Kickstarter campaign and that may have influenced how they rated it on BGG. But I feel pretty confident that is wrong. The game is more rules-dense than Zombicide, without question. I don't see teaching this to light gamers, who are often fine with Zombicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mb
Irrlichtsammler wrote:
From what I saw in the gameplay videos Massive Darkness looked like it has significant similarities to Zombicide Black Plague (which I haven't played). Despite that, it is rated with a weight of 1.6 while ZBP has a weight of 2.3.

Where is the complexity drop mechanically? I am a little worried that it will be too light after all.

The weight rating for Massive Darkness is definitely off. It seems low due to no one actually playing it yet? It should be at least 0.5-1 higher than Z:BP if nothing else.

Consider each hero in MD has about about 9 ability choices (each with 2-3 skill levels totaling nearly 30 options per hero) while Z:BP only has 7 or so? And each hero in MD has 2 special skills and a free class skill, plus a signature ability while BP heroes only have 1 special.

Then you also have to factor in monsters in MD can carry weapons constantly changing their stats. Roaming monsters all look to have unique special abilities too. You are also rolling 4 different sets of dice, two attack and two defense, and each of the two different types has varying levels of effectiveness plus special symbols (diamonds and bams) that do something unique.

Of course none of this is even mentioning the whole shadow mechanic. Z:BP has the noise mechanic, but MD has the experience to get agro from monsters so that's kind of a wash? While none of this makes for a super in depth game, it definitely seems to be heavier than Z:BP by a good margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Massive Darkness should be a 2.5-3.0 in my opinion. There were a lot of people claiming it was a simplistic game during the Kickstarter campaign and that may have influenced how they rated it on BGG. But I feel pretty confident that is wrong. The game is more rules-dense than Zombicide, without question. I don't see teaching this to light gamers, who are often fine with Zombicide.

I also think it is a notch above Zombicide (at least), but I think I will manage to introduce newcomers to the game just fine, at least from what I have seen of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Weight means "how difficult it is to understand", so (supposedly) doesn't have any indication of "depth" or strategy.

OT: Ron Swanson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtyPEc2t18k
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.