$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 81.72

5,460 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
34.4% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Love Letter Premium» Forums » Rules

Subject: Same questions for 2 new roles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freemanfly Feng
msg tools
After reading the new roles, I have 2 questions:

Rank 2 Cardinal- Choose 2 players and they trade their hands.
Can I choose myself as one of the 2 players? What to do if this card is played when there are only 2 players left in a round?

Rank 4 Sycophant- Choose 1 player to be the effected one by the next player's effect.
Can I choose myself? What to do if this card is played when there are only 2 players left in a round?
Say, Alan and I are the two players, I play Sycophant and choose Alan, he has 2 Barons and has to play one, then what?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I would assume you can always choose yourself just like in the base love letter. If their are only two players left it would have to be those two.

Well in your example, I would assume he would baron himself, resulting in a tie.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Grayslake
IL
flag msg tools
mb
From the basic rules:
"You must apply [a card's] effect, even if it is bad for you."

Based on the individual descriptions of each card, some cards cannot be used on onesself including the King, Baron and Guard; they have no effect if there is no valid target.

freemanfly wrote:
After reading the new roles, I have 2 questions:
Rank 2 Cardinal- Choose 2 players and they trade their hands.
Can I choose myself as one of the 2 players? What to do if this card is played when there are only 2 players left in a round?

Choose 2 players (unprotected by handmaiden) and they trade their hands, regardless if one of them is you or how many players are left.

freemanfly wrote:
Rank 4 Sycophant- Choose 1 player to be the effected one by the next player's effect.
Can I choose myself? What to do if this card is played when there are only 2 players left in a round?
Say, Alan and I are the two players, I play Sycophant and choose Alan, he has 2 Barons and has to play one, then what?

Choose 1 player (unprotected by handmaiden) to be the affected by the next player's card, regardless if one of them is the next player themself, yourself, or how many players are left. Some cards don't have an effect if played on onesself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacio Fernández Galván
Sweden
flag msg tools
bric wrote:
freemanfly wrote:
Rank 4 Sycophant- Choose 1 player to be the effected one by the next player's effect.
Can I choose myself? What to do if this card is played when there are only 2 players left in a round?
Say, Alan and I are the two players, I play Sycophant and choose Alan, he has 2 Barons and has to play one, then what?

Choose 1 player (unprotected by handmaiden) to be the affected by the next player's card, regardless if one of them is the next player themself, yourself, or how many players are left. Some cards don't have an effect if played on onesself.


Another possible interpretation is that since a player cannot choose him/herself with some cards, the Sycophant has no effect in those cases.

E.T.A.: But since the rules say "If you discard a card with an effect that requires you to choose a player that cannot be chosen due to another card effect (Sycophant, Handmaid), your card is discarded without effect", implying that the Sycophant not only tells you whom you have to choose, but whom you cannot choose, I guess the correct interpretation is bric's: it's as if all the other players but the designated one had a played a Handmaid.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.