Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis BoardGameGeek

Elk Grove
California
msg tools
Hi guys,

- About begin play:

My version of pandemic says "The player with the highest City population (card) goes first". But previous versions of the game said "The player who was most recently sick goes first." (which I kinda like).

Anyway, when I play with my wife or friends, I like to start the game deciding what player should start (a decision made taking into account everybody's ideas). It's a cooperative game, so why not? I guess it makes the game a bit easier (if you choose a good strategy).

- About game end:

In my opinion I find a bit weird to end the game immediately when the cure of the 4 diseases are discovered. We kinda like to finish that player's turn. So it means that you have to draw two cards and then infect after "winning". And if you don't have enough cards to draw, or if you get a bad infection/epidemic, you can actually lose the game...

thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chosing who goes first based on the state of the board and the cards in everyone's hand makes for a more strategic game, and I like it. Actually, this is a rule in Pandemic Legacy (this is no spoiler since it is in the rulebook before you start your campaign). For me, it's like playing Pandemic with a chosen set of characters, not as per the rules, but if you like to play it that way, why not?

EDIT: as some people have mentioned, I was wrong about the starting player rule in Pandemic Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis BoardGameGeek

Elk Grove
California
msg tools
Pandemic rule book says that you have to shuffle role cards and deal 1 face up to each player (what I do). And player with highest city population card goes first (what I don't do).

Pandemic Legacy (I started it yesterday) rule book says that you can choose your character and pawn color at the beginning of every single game. And you choose the player that goes first blindly selecting a pawn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DeBatavia wrote:
- About game end:

In my opinion I find a bit weird to end the game immediately when the cure of the 4 diseases are discovered. We kinda like to finish that player's turn. So it means that you have to draw two cards and then infect after "winning". And if you don't have enough cards to draw, or if you get a bad infection/epidemic, you can actually lose the game...

thoughts?

I think this removes a turn from the game, a turn you may desperately need to win.

You've won. Everyone had lots of turns and you saved the world. Why sully that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis BoardGameGeek

Elk Grove
California
msg tools
[/q]
I think this removes a turn from the game, a turn you may desperately need to win.

You've won. Everyone had lots of turns and you saved the world. Why sully that?[/q]

Because Heroic mode (play with 6 epidemic cards) is not difficult enough for my taste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verno Whitney
United States
Winfield
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeBatavia wrote:
Because Heroic mode (play with 6 epidemic cards) is not difficult enough for my taste

That's when you include On The Brink, and play on Legendary difficulty with Virulent Strain and Mutation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VernoWhitney wrote:
DeBatavia wrote:

That's when you include On The Brink, and play on Legendary difficulty with Virulent Strain and Mutation.

Or State of Emergency and use the Emergency Events cards. It might pad out the deck a bit (adds another card to each chunk you set up depending on difficulty [4, 5, 6, or 7 chunks]), but it releases harmful effects at the same rate as the Epidemics, including one emergency event being ANOTHER epidemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Anny48 wrote:
Chosing who goes first based on the state of the board and the cards in everyone's hand makes for a more strategic game, and I like it. Actually, this is a rule in Pandemic Legacy (this is no spoiler since it is in the rulebook before you start your campaign). For me, it's like playing Pandemic with a chosen set of characters, not as per the rules, but if you like to play it that way, why not?

As DeBatavia said, Pandemic Legacy explicitly does *NOT* allow you to choose who goes first. If you do so, it's a house rule. (Which is fine.)

It's ridiculous how much strategizing we did during the setup for each game in Pandemic Legacy, and how precisely we followed each of the setup steps.

Step 4 lets you infect, which provides critical information for step 7.

Step 5 lets you deal out player cards, which is also critical information.

Step 7 is key, because you choose your characters and starting city. Starting city is usually pretty obvious, but we always spent some time discussing not only which roles to play for that game, but also who gets which cards. For example, if you play with scientist and researcher, you may want to strategically match them up with the cards that let them quickly cure. (For example, if two players get two blue cards each, you may want to give them to scientist and researcher so that the scientist can cure blue on the first turn.)

The way we interpreted the setup rules was that the player positions were fixed. For example, going clockwise we have players A, B, C, then D. Each player then gets their cards, but they aren't allowed to swap positions. (Actually, the humans could change positions, but their cards could not...the starting cards were fixed in a particular clockwise order.)

After assigning roles to starting cards, the last step, step 10, forces you to randomly select a starting player. Being able to select who the starting player was would have made some of our games much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faucelme wrote:
Anny48 wrote:

As DeBatavia said, Pandemic Legacy explicitly does *NOT* allow you to choose who goes first. If you do so, it's a house rule. (Which is fine.)

Sorry, that was my mistake! You indeed choose in Pandemic Legacy what character everyone plays, based on the cards in their hands and then randomly choose starting player.

Still, I think houseruling that you can choose starting player based on character and starting cards is a more strategic way to play Pandemic, and I will certainly try this when playing at higher difficulty levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis BoardGameGeek

Elk Grove
California
msg tools
thanks for your opinions guys. I didn't know the other versions of Pandemic made things more difficult

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verno Whitney
United States
Winfield
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
VernoWhitney wrote:
DeBatavia wrote:

Or State of Emergency and use the Emergency Events cards. It might pad out the deck a bit (adds another card to each chunk you set up depending on difficulty [4, 5, 6, or 7 chunks]), but it releases harmful effects at the same rate as the Epidemics, including one emergency event being ANOTHER epidemic.

My group actually finds the Emergency Event cards to make the game easier since with our play style since we generally lose by running out of cards rather than too many outbreaks. We almost always use them regardless, because they do add that extra nice bit of unpredictability to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.