Popular Tags: [View All]
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

we recently moved and while i would have loved to(and may someday)have gotten a dedicated gaming table, instead how to settle for a fancy wooden dining table. i plan on doing some gaming this weekend(roleplaying actually), and started looking for table cloth or felt topper and havent seen anything that fits the bill.

can anyone share any links, or products they've used? i would love to have something like the roll out matt that is used in Wits & Wagers, but am open minded to there items that have worked for the masses.
-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a 3' by 6' piece of felt we bought at a fabric store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a normal tablecloth, one made of damask. It`s not too slippery and you don`t catch the bits in the cloth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:

Does the felt pill up at all?

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Schwalenberg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
We use 3mm thick neoprene.
One side with nylon-fabric the other side without, so it has a good grip an the table.
It is easily rolled and washable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
RingelTree wrote:

Andrew

Not so far (a couple of years now, but we don't play on it regularly). It is high quality wool felt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I use a fleece blanket, but a fine-weave one (like the ones you can get at IKEA) so it keeps its shape. It's not too slippery, has a bit of give so you can pick up cards easy, washable, and heavy enough that it doesn't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Femme Worth
msg tools
mb
I use a nice cut of microsuede that I got at Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts. Cost me less than $10. It will just need to be hemmed, which I haven't done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listened to a bunch of people on another tabletop miniatures forum and bought an ecorug indoor/outdoor rug from Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/EcoRug-Green-Rectangular-Indoor-Outd...

It is like intense felt.

Cut it to size to fit the table with plenty left over.

It has that nice give when you go to pick up cards. Holds things in place. Makes the dice rolls sound so nice.

It doesn't fray at the edges or move around very much.

Lays very flat.

Had to find something like this since my partner can't handle rubber or neoprene type mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus-Gunther Herzog
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
I use a fleece blanket, but a fine-weave one (like the ones you can get at IKEA) so it keeps its shape. It's not too slippery, has a bit of give so you can pick up cards easy, washable, and heavy enough that it doesn't move.

+1 you beat me to it. An excellent surface for picking up cards, and to keep tiles from sliding around by themselves. I even have two colors, navy and tan, so I can have a color appropriate to the theme. For example Taluva (navy) vs Forbidden Desert (tan).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.hookloopoutlet.com/neoprene-sheets.html

It's basically a huge mousepad. Recommend getting 5mm. I tried thinner (3mm), it was okay, but then bought 5mm & it's great.

Edit: I have the Nylon/Mesh Skin. 5mm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use this (i happen to have a 54" round glass table so it fit perfectly). It's like a giant mouse pad. Great for games. They make other shapes and sizes too, but not too many to choose from.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Layout-Rubber-Matting-Brybelly/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gavin923 wrote:
This is exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.hookloopoutlet.com/neoprene-sheets.html

It's basically a huge mousepad. Recommend getting 5mm. I tried thinner (3mm), it was okay, but then bought 5mm & it's great.

Edit: I have the Nylon/Mesh Skin. 5mm

I got the 3mm nylon/mesh skin and it's awesome.

Felt from joanns works well, although it feels a little scratchy. Print out a 40% coupon, buy 2 yards of your color choice, lay it out on the table and you're good to go. When it pills up and gets dirty after a couple of years, just buy another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
PlowStr8 wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

+1 you beat me to it. An excellent surface for picking up cards, and to keep tiles from sliding around by themselves. I even have two colors, navy and tan, so I can have a color appropriate to the theme. For example Taluva (navy) vs Forbidden Desert (tan).

Mine is a bright orange... for Taluva, it's a sea of lava

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
aaj94 wrote:
RingelTree wrote:

Andrew

Not so far (a couple of years now, but we don't play on it regularly). It is high quality wool felt.

Same here: just a piece of felt from the fabric store. It will eventually pill up with use. At which point you toss it & buy a new piece--it's cheap.

Though I may look into the giant mousepad stuff mentioned later when it's time to replace the felt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.linentablecloth.com/tablecloths.html

Granted, I am buying a number of them as my game nights currently can use up to 4 tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlowStr8 wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

++1. Here's the one I have - it's NOT the weird lurid green in the Amazon picture, but a restrained green very similar to the green baize seen on some poker or card tables. I find it the perfect thickness and weight, and it comes with the useful carry handle you see in the pic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speed cloth is great but honestly if you play games with lots of cards I would suggest getting some felt at any fabric store (Joannes/Michael's) and laying it over the table. Felt is great because it is thick to make picking up cards really easy but thin enough to lay easily over any old table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.