Subject: Mechs vs Minions wholesale to retailers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully this will get to the folks producing this game. All other avenues have failed, or resulted in 'auto-responses' related to a video game.

Mechs vs Minions folks:

I own a retail store and I will be participating in a game convention in November. I would very much like to have several copies of Mechs vs Minions for sale. I understand that you won't be going through distributors. Will you be offering the game wholesale directly to retailers?

If so, how might I order a few copies? I can provide you with business license information if needed.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MGAC wrote:
Will you be offering the game wholesale directly to retailers?

They have been very clear that they won't. For example, the FAQ on their website:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions#f...

When & where can I purchase Mechs vs Minions?

You can find Mechs vs Minions exclusively on the Riot Games Merch Store starting on October 13, 2016, at 11 AM PST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have been pretty clear about only selling this through their own online store, but good luck!

ninja'd by "Fast Hands" Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MGAC wrote:
Hopefully this will get to the folks producing this game. All other avenues have failed, or resulted in 'auto-responses' related to a video game.

Mechs vs Minions folks:

I own a retail store and I will be participating in a game convention in November. I would very much like to have several copies of Mechs vs Minions for sale. I understand that you won't be going through distributors. Will you be offering the game wholesale directly to retailers?

If so, how might I order a few copies? I can provide you with business license information if needed.

Thank you.

I guess you'll have to buy your 1 copy like the rest of us. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One copy will be good for me! It will be a present for one of my kids!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Also they indicated that the price on their website is the "wholesale" price. (per the interview in the Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
They don't want retailers buying up as many copies of this game so they can resell for $200.

Why would anyone buy a resale copy for $200 when you can just buy it on their website for $75?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:
They don't want retailers buying up as many copies of this game so they can resell for $200.

Why would anyone buy a resale copy for $200 when you can just buy it on their website for $75?

lol laugh

Ok. Think about what you just wrote. Read it carefully. You just answered your own question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:

lol laugh

Ok. Think about what you just wrote. Read it carefully. You just answered your own question.

Not really, people will do weird things when stuff is sold out and not available. Look at video game console launches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

For those of us who aren't as brilliant as you are, could you just tell us the answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:

The easy answer is between print runs you can put a few up on ebay marked up and someone will be too eager to wait a few months and bite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
The easy answer is between print runs you can put a few up on ebay marked up and someone will be too eager to wait a few months and bite.

OK, but Riot Games doesn't actually mind that. It helps them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:

Exactly this. cool

Here's the main argument: "There's no harm in letting retailers distribute it because the consumer can always just get it for $75 directly from Rito."

lol wut?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate to be a hater, but can person read the forum before posting the same (or similar) questions over and over again?

And please read the FAQ. There is a reason why it called "FAQ".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmb
lastsurvivor00 wrote:
Hate to be a hater, but can person read the forum before posting the same (or similar) questions over and over again?

And please read the FAQ. There is a reason why it called "FAQ".

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:

And the above, in a nutshell, is the argument over arbitrage / scalping and whether it is good/neutral/evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:

And the above, in a nutshell, is the argument over arbitrage / scalping and whether it is good/neutral/evil.

Exactly. That's what it eventually boils to!

Using the scalper analogy....

A famous musician decides to throw a grand concert for her fans. Normally, tickets to her events could go as high as $200, sometimes even $250, and still sell out. However, she's feeling very generous and wants it to be so awesome for her fans and make it as special and memorable as possible. She decides to sell the tickets for only... $75.

The reaction among her fans is immediate and deafening. There's a limited number of tickets, and they are expected to sell out within hours, perhaps even minutes! As a precaution, she makes a rule that each person may only purchase 1 ticket.

As generous as this is... there's a small group of people, the scalpers, who seem unappreciative of this. In fact, they even go as far as to claim that it's... "unfair."

The scalpers argue that, "Why not just let US sell your tickets? Your being very selfish to cut us out on this. The fans can always just get it from YOU for $75 anyway? So what's the harm?"

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ShotgunGames wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

For those of us who aren't as brilliant as you are, could you just tell us the answer?

It never ceases to amaze me the list price of products on eBay when those same products are available from MM, CH, or CSI for half the price (an in stock).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
MGAC wrote:

Mechs vs Minions folks:

Thank you.

Unfortunately, we won't be selling MvM through distributors. This isn't meant to feel like a slap in the face, but one of our main goals is to introduce new people to the hobby - in order to do that, we did whatever we could to provide a lot of value at a palatable cost.

My sincere hope is that - if we can bring new people into the hobby - it will be good for the entire industry. Most gamers I know buy more than one game in a year. But if we bring in more gamers, hopefully that's something you'll see benefit from, too.

Sorry if that's not the answer you were hoping for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously...

...what...is...wrong...with you people? What is with all the animosity and vitriol? Do you people even know social skills? The users of this thread really give a black eye to game enthusiasts. A pathetic and embarrassing example of the community.

Where did I say I was going to charge $200 for the game? Do you know me or how I run my business?

Riot Games communication avenues are lousy. Despite that, I think this game is a hit. I'd love to pick up four or five copies to sell at a convention...at whatever price they want to sell it at. I'd love to generate more interest in this game because I think it's a natural hit. I sell their games. They benefit.

Again...what is wrong with you people?

Seek help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
MGAC wrote:
Will you be offering the game wholesale directly to retailers?

They have been very clear that they won't. For example, the FAQ on their website:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/mechs-vs-minions#f...

When & where can I purchase Mechs vs Minions?

You can find Mechs vs Minions exclusively on the Riot Games Merch Store starting on October 13, 2016, at 11 AM PST.

Thank you for being civil with your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
terry leitzke
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
While I 100% agree with this and am going to be buying a copy for sure. I must also mention that there's something to be sead about cutting out the FLGS.You foster the hobby at the same time as you hurt those responsible for introducing it in the first place.

I wasn't planning on posting but when I seen your response about new players.... it struck me as odd as no one does more than the FLGS to bring new inexperienced player bases to the market and these are the people your not letting sell,demo or market your game.

If you would have sead we kept it in house to keep cost down it would be a non issue but to say it's to bring in new players is a stretch. Anyways looking foreword to busting my copy open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
qobdater wrote:
While I 100% agree with this and am going to be buying a copy for sure. I must also mention that there's something to be sead about cutting out the FLGS.You foster the hobby at the same time as you hurt those responsible for introducing it in the first place. I wasn't planning on posting but when I seen your response about new players.... it struck me as odd as no one does more than the FLGS to bring new inexperienced player bases to the market and these are the people your not letting sell,demo or market your game. If you would have sead we kept it in house to keep cost down it would be a non issue but to say it's to bring in new players is a stretch. Anyways looking foreword to busting my copy open.

That's fair. I guess I was trying to say "We are trying to bring new people into the hobby by keeping costs down." No one knows more than I do how incredible FLGS are; this isn't a mission to destroy their ecosystem or anything. But if we can bring more people into the hobby - and that's a big if - I suspect it will be good for all parties.

I'm definitely not offended by anyone offering to carry the game. I'm actually quite flattered by the interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:

No, arbitrage or scalping is something quite different. Concert tickets are subject to scalping because there's a finite supply, and performers intentionally sell them below the market clearing price, and so someone can buy them up and turn around and sell them at a profit.

But the supply of Mechs vs Minions is unlimited. Riot Games can produce as many as they want, and they make a profit on every one. They don't have to let it go out of print at all. If they do, and there's a period where you can't get the game from Riot but someone is willing to sell you their copy at a markup, that's beneficial for everyone. It's not like scalping where you are taking away a ticket from someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MGAC wrote:
Riot Games communication avenues are lousy.

It doesn't seem lousy to me. It took literally 30 seconds for me to visit their website and find the answer to your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.