Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Baumgarten
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Space D-6 (DSD6 from now on) is a solitaire dice-placement game which was originally an award-winning print-and-play here on the 'geek. Was that praise justified, and how effectively did it transition from print-and-play to Kickstarter and retail?

Rules; or, How does this deep space-themed dice-assignment game differ from other solos and/or dice-placement games?

The big difference here between DSD6 and other dice-assignment games is that it was designed from the ground up as a solitaire game. You have no opponents competing against you for spots on the board, only the deck of threat cards to serve up your potential defeat. Differing from most other games in general, DSD6 gives you 4 boards to choose from, each representing a different ship with different strengths and abilities. Each board (ship) plays fundamentally the same, with the same win/loss conditions, meaning that once you understand how to play the game, there is little additional to learn about each specific ship (board). DSD6 also differs from other worker/dice placement games in that with a couple minor exceptions, the player is not restricted to one die per space, sometimes even gaining benefits from placing multiples in the same space.

The rules are fairly intuitive and turns are brisk and straightforward without being overly simple or having an obvious decision every time. There are however certain cases that crop up in the game that are not covered by the rulebook. To put it more accurately, the rulebook seems to indicate one answer while the designer's answers to questions regarding them indicates the opposite (I'm speaking most specifically about the Nebula and Meteorite cards here). I find this a bit unfortunate, and while these answers are easy enough to find, the idea of hunting down errata never sits well with me.

Appearance; or, How deep-spacey does it look, anyway?

In keeping with the designer's desire to keep a minimalist aesthetic, the art in DSD6 is sparse. The artwork present is highly evocative of the Choose Your Own Adventure series of young adult books from the 80s/90s, even going so far as to make the box about the size of a thick paperback book, with “pages” on the sides and all. The exterior as a whole is a healthy dose of nostalgia. The boards (ships) have the spaces and other pertinent information presented clearly. The dice are similarly clear, with each face having bold colors and distinct icons.

Gameplay; or, Is it actually fun to choose your own deep-spacey dice adventure?

Yes! Next question. Oh, I need to elaborate on my opinion? Fine. Each ship (board) plays differently and provides solid replayability. There are multiple ways to adjust the difficulty, allowing for whatever win rate the player desires. Clocking in at roughly half an hour, combined with the game's small footprint, DSD6 (kind of like another solo favorite, Friday) is one of those “take anywhere, play anywhere” type games. The amount of game inside the nostalgic box makes for a great value.

Conclusion; or, Why should you buy this game?

You should buy DSD6 if you are a solo gamer or just occasionally find yourself with a half hour, a gaming itch to scratch, and nobody to join you. You should buy DSD6 if you enjoy the minimalist/nostalgic aesthetic. You should buy DSD6 if you want to flavor your solo game with just the right amount of difficulty, because everybody's tastes on the matter differ.

You should not buy DSD6 if you are looking for an involved game with strategic (as opposed to tactical) decisions. You should not buy DSD6 if you want a flashy game that is full of eye candy.

[...incoming bonus content...]

Kickstarter Experience; or, I back games on Kickstarter too, so shouldn't I talk about how the company handles that too?

DSD6 was one of the first projects I backed on Kickstarter. I was still in the “I'm a bit wary of this whole big, scary crowd-funding thing” phase, but DSD6 seemed like a tight project, and the aesthetic drew me in. It met a few stretch goals, which seemed nifty. From what I understand, this also caused delays in the project, so what was slated to be a March arrival dragged on into the summer, finally arriving in early July for most backers. This was a downer for me, as it was going to be my first delivered Kickstarter project, and ended up missing that honor by about a week. I understand that this is common to Kickstarter, I should count my blessings that I even got it, etc., but I stand by my statement of disappointment. The final product is terrific, and I recommend purchasing it if you are somehow able, but I would be hesitant to back future products from the same creator, instead hoping for a retail release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryel C.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On the other hand, I missed this kickstarter and have to content myself with the single-ship pnp and pray that I get a copy when Tony opens up the sales.

Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bear King
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Waiting for it to hit retail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WWG Con 2016!!!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artorig wrote:
Waiting for it to hit retail!

Yah, still not on Amazon yet, though his others are (Hunters of Arcfall and Dragon's Ransom)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah I just got done printing everything. Need to put the symbols on the dice and play tonight. This game flew under my radar but it looks amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too currently have only the print and play. It still a great game, and I have amused myself by collecting a reasonably nice set to play including custom dice. But you don't need custom dice for the original ship because the ship is segregated into easily counted sections which go from 1 to 5. There're also some interesting player created ships on the variants forum.

It's really a fun, elegant little game. It's not bone crushingly hard like some solitaire games, I'm talking to you Ghost Stories, and so far I think it's about the right level of difficulty. But you can customize that by the number of nothing happens cards that you put it in the deck. Presumably you could also use more crew dice if you want to.

I was too late to back to kickstarter, but I do plan to pick up that new version when I can. It was interesting to see somebody review the kickstarter, because I haven't seen that one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.