Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of games with two, so I really appreciate a game that scales well. Most Rosenberg games do scale well, but could someone with knowledge comment on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgamern8 wrote:
I play a lot of games with two, so I really appreciate a game that scales well. Most Rosenberg games do scale well, but could someone with knowledge comment on this?

Well... not many people have played it since it isn't really out yet. So nearly every answer will be speculation.

Personally, it looks to me like it would work very well with 2 if you are okay with non-confrontational games with minor action blocking.

And before you reiterate "someone with knowledge," I have read the rules. Which is the most the majority of people can say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
bgamern8 wrote:

Well... not many people have played it since it isn't really out yet. So nearly every answer will be speculation.

Personally, it looks to me like it would work very well with 2 if you are okay with non-confrontational games with minor action blocking.

And before you reiterate "someone with knowledge," I have read the rules. Which is the most the majority of people can say.

Haha...I would never put someone down for putting their two cents in, plus you took the time to read the rules, which is a huge help. If there is anyone else who has played or a representative who can comment, I would be very thankful. I'm almost ready to pre-order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel and his daughter gave it a very favorable review, but I can't remember if they said whether their plays were 2-player or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Allison
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:
Tom Vasel and his daughter gave it a very favorable review, but I can't remember if they said whether their plays were 2-player or more.

That's good to know. I'll check that out. Although my opinions don't always match up with Vasel's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered based on Uwe's past games... I've yet to play one that doesn't scale incredibly well to two players (Ora et Labora is the only "big" game I've yet to play of his). In fact in a few cases two is my preferred count, especially Glass Road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Papa Ninja wrote:
I preordered based on Uwe's past games... I've yet to play one that doesn't scale incredibly well to two players... In fact in a few cases two is my preferred count, especially Glass Road.

Same here. I think 2P is the best player count for almost all of his bigger games. Go ahead and get/play Ora et Labora. It's another excellent Uwe game, and I expect A Feast for Odin to fit the same pattern!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played it with two so far, and love it. Action blocking doesn't play too much of a factor until the later rounds, though.

That said, I can imagine that once players are more experienced with the game (discovering strong opening gambits, etc.) early action blocking will become more likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As far I can say after reading the rules I think Odin is very good with 2 players. What I really dislike in games if there are specific rules for 2 players. Most the time they feel something strange. But Odin doesn't have any special 2 player rules.
I think Odin plays similar to Arle.

Another point is that the downtime will be not so high for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I had assumed. This game was some sort of marriage between Arle and Patchwork. My wife and I love both those games and we usually play two player only for these types of games. So I'm wondering if this would be a good buy for us. I'm not sure she'd be super excited about the theme so it would have to be a very good game to manage to make our already large rotation of Uwe games (we have Glassroads, Arle, Agricola, Patchwork, Caverna, La Havre, Bonanza).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this last night at 2p. I haven't played at 1, 3 or 4, but to be honest, I expect this will be best with either 2 or 3. It will be tighter at 3, since there is literally no change in the game other than adding another player. But there will be more downtime as well. I can't see myself wanting to play this at 4p, but I'm sure it'd be fine at that count. No interest in the solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It worked great with 2 players for us. We don't like high-conflict games where you hurt someone with cards, and Feast for Odin provides a good balance where most of the time you work on your own strategy, and occasionally you take a valuable action space the opponent wanted.

The point about downtime with 4 players is probably very true. Maybe I can try it with 3 some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bush
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Just finished my first game with my wife. Played fantastically well. Low conflict, lots of time spent puzzling over the board. We helped each other a lot looking up rules and reaching for components. I think there was one time she went to a space I was hoping to go for but other than that we did not get in each others' way. In my experience, the downtime between turns was not a big deal because there was SO much to think about in planning your next move. As you become more familiar with the game, you might not need that much thinking time, but I expect most people will need several plays before they get as efficient and aggressive as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.