Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was very skeptic when watching the reviews.

First minutes I suspected a kind of rip off "Limited edition" Legacy play only once mediocre game. All blinded by extreme production toy value.

Could be a kind of Collectors War of the Ring or GWS overpriced game, but it is produced by a unknown company.

Watching more I realized that there is a good decent game running behind the luxury. A game with normal FFG quality I could purchase.

I did not watch the reviews to the end, so I missed the price. Started to search for the price tag. Expected at least $ 150.-. Probably $250.-. Shipping to Norway, at least $70.-

In short: No buy - or maybe on Christmas wishlist, if the price is in the lower end of expectation.

Jaw dropped when I learned the price: $75 !!
Heavy box, expect total of near $150.- inclusive shipping

Another surprise. It will be distributed in Europe for a ridiculous low shipping cost.

Surprised that a well known company came up with a decent game at first try. Player Aids and rules seems to be top notch.

It is a mystery that they are able to sell it at that price.
It is a mystery that they put so much luxury into this. Metal pieces and even magnetic lock on the heavy boss box.

If it is too good to be true - it is not true.
Can this be the exception?

I will believe when I pick it up at the post office.

EDIT:
TO MAKE YOU GUYS HAPPY - I HAVE EDITED A SENTENCE TO "WELL KNOWN COMPANY"
Hope it helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arty N.
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
designer
"unknown company"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel did some consulting on the design.

Th 'unknown company'had 1.6 billion in revenue last year, which is approximately twice the total market for boardgames in the same period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to show my ignorance here. (I don't play online games.)

How does Riot have that level of income on what is essentially a "free to play" online game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can progress for free, but you can buy in game currency to buy champs faster and to customize. You can only customize champs buy buying the skins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philfry wrote:

How does Riot have that level of income on what is essentially a "free to play" online game?

At a basic level you get a few champions for free, but for the most part you have to buy more with either currency earned in game (slow) or spending some cash (very fast).

On top of that, lots and lots of purchasable items. Ranging from different premium skins to add on to your characters, or boosters that give you more xp, ect. per game.

I played the game for quite a while and spent ~$40 over my time with it. The amount of hours I sunk in made it pretty easily justifiable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nichik wrote:

Unknown to me.

But this not the point.

Guess it would not be a surprise to you if Blizzard designed and published a World of Warcraft game with the insane luxury level as this. With a retail of $75, and not $125 as the actual game from FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philfry wrote:

Typical free to play model. The free part is only a small portion of the game or limits you. It basically is a demo. In fact, I think it should be called a demo instead of free to play.

It's like the online web version of Puzzle Strike. For free you can only pick characters for a couple of games then they lock you to the character of the day, unless you pay. However, even with the locked character you still get to play the rest of the game.

Also, video gamers love to customize their characters, so all the customization options are available to purchase to make your character your own. You should be able to relate to that if you are a minis gamer, look at all the custom painted Warhammer stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Roselius
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
Bias warning, I work for Riot, but I would've said the following even in 2010 before I started .

I strongly disagree that free players are getting a 'demo' experience of League. Imagine playing some Eldritch Horror. The free player has a choice between two random characters each week. After .5-2.5 weeks of 2 games a day (depending on price), the free player can unlock a character permanently. In contrast, the paying player can pay $1-7 (depending on price) to unlock a character permanently.

Once these two players have unlocked their champions, they are literally equivalent - there is no gameplay advantage gained by the paid player. However, cosmetic options are usually only available for $ purchase and not available from the free currency received by playing the game.

So while a paying player could theoretically go buy 130+ champions on day 1 of their League journey and immediately have full access to the entire roster, that's an addition of flexibility, not power. And all of those champions will go through the free rotation, allowing the free player to experiment before expanding their collection.

There's definitely criticisms that can be leveled against the system, but I don't think calling it a demo is accurate.

/hops off soapbox and goes back to lurking Seafall, MvM, and many other boardgames :].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrej Medved
Slovenia
Kozina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Charlie here...it's not a demo at all.

You get all the game modes right away and only champions are locked.
I spent some money on skins.. and I think 5 champions that I really wanted right away - Riot made a great game and they should earn something from me for all my hours of fun with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.