Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Plumlee
United States
anna
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, I know, the game is not out yet, but.. There are a couple of play throughs to make educated guesses.

Any thoughts about this are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the universal answer to questions like this is always: I guess it depends on WHY you don't like RoboRally (or any other game in general).

If you don't like programming at all, you probably won't like a game that is based totally on programming.

If you enjoy programming, but hate the fact other people are messing you up, you might enjoy this more, because of it being a coop and you being able to talk to the others and plan together, but you might still hate it, because damage is usually going to mess up your programming in some way.

If you dislike all games that start with the letter R or that come in square boxes in general, you should be fine as there isn't a single R in the title and the box seems to be rectangular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam from Miami Dice gave it two thumbs up even though he hates robo-rally - because in RR you get messed up immediately on purpose and your whole turn goes off the rails, whereas in MvM you don't want to mess up other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone Librande
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It depends on what you dislike about it. It has a similar programming mechanic that requires you to think a few steps ahead in order to match your program steps (move, turn, attack) with the state of board.

But there are several differences. The primary one is that MvM is cooperative. Everyone is working together as a team instead of fighting to be the best. This encourages a lot of team discussion and shared strategies.

Each Mech in the squad can have a different function and still contribute to the scenario goal. (For example, one Mech might be built for speed and its job is to race towards objectives, while another stands still to defend the base with lots of weapons). MvM plays much faster than RoboRally and all players tend to be engaged throughout the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO it is more similar to Bomb Squad.
Coop programming and time pressure. But much more time pressure in Bomb Squad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you dislike having to choose several moves then watch them played out - minus the Robo Rally issue of having other players mess you up in this case though - then you will probably dislike it.

Otherwise I don't see much similarity.

Although if you hate Robo Rally you'll probably hate Epigo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Plumlee
United States
anna
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After reading some of the comments and thinking about it, I do not think I dislike the programming mechanic in general, In fact when I first bought Robo Rally, I was pretty excited about it. It was after playing it several times that I started to really dislike it. for me, it seems way to random and out of control. Not to mention, the competitive nature of the game can really screw you over.

MvM seems less random and it looks like you have more control over your mech than the control granted in Robo Rally. Seeing that I have not ever played another game with a programming mechanic, Robo Rally really left a bad taste in my mouth and it is my only comparison.

Thank you everyone for your comments, it has given me food for thought. It is encouraging also that Sam from dice tower dislikes Robo Rally, yet likes this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
What made you go with 1 player does all his stuff and then the next instead of rr where you do 1 move at a time?..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ovis wrote:
If you dislike all games that start with the letter R or that come in square boxes in general, you should be fine as there isn't a single R in the title and the box seems to be rectangular.

lol'd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
ovis wrote:

lol'd.

You League of Legends*d?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone Librande
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
mordai wrote:
What made you go with 1 player does all his stuff and then the next instead of rr where you do 1 move at a time?..

That's a good question. Primarily it was to speed up gameplay. Early in development, one of the design constraints was that the game could be played in under an hour. (I usually play games with my coworkers during our lunch break; games that take longer than an hour don't get played!) So any rule that required extra bookkeeping or too much thinking was replaced with something more streamlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.