Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played a lot of games of Madeira, but this seems like a rough start for the poor randomized last player. His starting quest is Trade Routes.

What's the best course of action when you can't get a City or Money quest in the first round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
I haven't played a lot of games of Madeira, but this seems like a rough start for the poor randomized last player. His starting quest is Trade Routes.

What's the best course of action when you can't get a City or Money quest in the first round?

I'm confused. Are you saying he has to take the first time in the bottom row? If so, that's not how I remember it. I've always played you get to choose from the row. I could be wrong but don't have the rules with me to check.

If you are correct, it would add another level to consider when deciding when to pass. Seems pretty harsh though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm assuming the bottom row and top row will be picked. He has to choose from the center row, which is 121 and only ships and guilds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a decent start to me. I'd never try to complete a money goal on the first turn but the colonies is one of the best starts, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick ChemE
United States
Kalama
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
No, I'm assuming the bottom row and top row will be picked. He has to choose from the center row, which is 121 and only ships and guilds.

Ok that makes more sense. Guess I didn't see that as an issue as I normally try to get at least one guild tile, if not two.

Might just be my play style though.

I've found that I would rather have the right tiles then the best dice. So the second row may not be the last picked in my games.

Given that someone ended up with that choice in the first round, I would start to set myself up to score with either ships or guilds later, assuming I can score decently with my other starting tile. A low score in the first scoring round doesn't doom you unless everyone is really good or you don't make sure you score really high later.

My thoughts anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
BRASIL - SPIEL 16 !!
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the last player in the randomized setup also receives more money and stars inicial placement on the fields and on the city...

Enjoy Madeira
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Carrollton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Evil Roy. With three players maxing out colonies is easier since there are two spots to ship one wine.

Depending on the king's favors that (colonies) might work out to be the best possible starting situation for any of the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentieiro wrote:
Keep in mind that the last player in the randomized setup also receives more money and stars inicial placement on the fields and on the city...

Enjoy Madeira

This. To the OP, also keep in mind that you can trade any two goods (grape/grain/sugar) for one other good (grape/grain/sugar), so it actually is not all that difficult to get three sugar by harvesting trading in the first round and then sending two boats to the sugar market to capture 12 points (plus gain an additional 13 reals for later use). Alternatively, it is not all that difficult to harvest or trade for three grape, which would allow you to send two boats to India and capture 12 points (plus get the attendant King's Rewards).

Normally I don't like starting with boats because of the ongoing wood maintenance costs, but it isn't crippling, particularly if you use your early boats to later block other players out of choice market/colony slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wyofan87 wrote:
I agree with Evil Roy. With three players maxing out colonies is easier since there are two spots to ship one wine.

Depending on the king's favors that (colonies) might work out to be the best possible starting situation for any of the players.

Ah, that's right. With the two open one grape slots in India in a three player game, getting two boats there off the bat is even easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Money goals are always the hardest for me to complete. Obviously the guild ones aren't the most fun either. I would happily take any of the trade routes. That 1-2-1 rough though.

Now I want to play this game....thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies.

Based on them, I'm going to try something new for me. I was first, so I picked the top row Expeditions Quest. I tend to spend lots of wood on building guild districts, so have always been cautious of early boats and their wood upkeep.

First move will guarantee that I can get the two single wine spots into India using the windmill conversion that I often forget about. Thanks for the reminder, Andrew!

Since one of India's favors this game is the Island (move a worker to any field), I shouldn't have to pick Steward, which is usually one of my automatic first picks in the first round.

We will see how it goes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Walnut Creek
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wyofan87 wrote:

If there's a nice king favor on the 6vp colony, another player could ship first move and grab the cheap spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Walnut Creek
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:

I'd rather have anything over money in r1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess my experience is just different.

I found the money quest to be the easiest thing to do in round one. Most of the time having 20+ after paying for buildings.

It might be that relatively new players, (myself included) don't block moves as often as experienced players that allow easy access to money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
I found the money quest to be the easiest thing to do in round one. Most of the time having 20+ after paying for buildings.

Money may be relatively easy to get, but discarding 15 resources on round 1 makes the rest of the game that much harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Roy wrote:
Kubigaruma wrote:

Money may be relatively easy to get, but discarding 15 resources on round 1 makes the rest of the game that much harder.

Ah, that may be why I think Lord is one of the best guild members to get.

It also follows that I'm usually forced to gather enough wood to pay for things, instead of just buying wood and hence my aversion to early shipping strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Carrollton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried not paying for boats or feeding people the first few rounds? Every game is different, but usually you can get rid of, or manage, pirates relatively easily throughout the course of the game.
There is a ton of game to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.