Popular Tags: [View All]
bayard catron
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am to run a tournament at my FLGS and was wondering if anyone could point me to a structure, a scoring system, and a dispute resolution process / any other useful info to assist in running this. Many thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Quinonez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any resources, but have played in multiple tournaments for this, both at Strategicon and at my local FLGS, these are the two formats I've seen:

Single elimination:
If you don't have a perfect round number (like 4, 16, 64, 9, 27, etc.), you'll want to clarify how many advance to the next round (if you'll take any second/third place players). Tiebreaker I've seen is percentage of points each player has at the table, as in take each individual players score divided by the sum of all points at the table. Like if the game ends at 15-10-5-0, the second place player will have 33% of points: 10/30 (30 = 15+10+5+0). If you have some tables with three and some with four, you'll either have to not take any second/third place players from tables with three or multiply their percentages by 3/4.

Round robin:
Randomly assign people to new games each round, I've usually seen this with three rounds. If 4-player games, can give 3 points for 1st place, 2 points for 2nd place, 1 point for 3rd, etc. (or any value you want). Top player after three rounds wins tournament (but I'd imagine you can do a final table if you want). Tiebreaker can be whatever you want, I've seen overall points in games or most first-place finishes.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Swiss system generally works well; you just need some kind of tiebreaker. Something like Swiss Elimination can be good as well (a few rounds to narrow it down to a semifinal or final).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oli70 oli70
msg tools
Number of players ?
Total number of game ?
each game is one vs one or a 4 players game ?

If you want, write me (oli70@inwind.it).

I have some ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bayard catron
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These questions are hard to answer because I don't have any information about how many will show up to play. But I am guessing we will want to have 4 players per game because there will probably be 12 to 24 people competing (just a guess). Thanks for the ideas, all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
Jundiaí
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I hope I'm not too late. I'd like to recommend the system used for official Carcassonne championships in Brazil. It's a three-round Swiss system followed by some elimination matches between the highest ranked.

The first part is a Swiss system. It requires at least 6 people, and you should gather them in 4 player tables, when possible. Otherwise, have a few 3 player tables. There are no 2 player tables in this phase.

In each match, players will get a primary and a secondary score. The primary score has to do with their position at the end of the game. First placed scores 5 points, second scores 3, third scores 2 and fourth, in four player tables, scores 1.

The secondary score is meant as a tiebreaker and is basically how many points that player scored in the game. In the Carcassonne tournament, the secondary score in three-player tables had to be multiplied by 0.75, but I think it wouldn't make sense in a Splendor tournament.

There should be three Swiss rounds. For the first one, distribute players randomly. For the second and third, distribute them according to their scores, using the secondary score as tiebreaker when necessary.

After three rounds, a certain number of high scoring players will move on to the next phase. From a total of 6~8 players, 2 will get to the next phase. From 9~16 players, 4 move on to the next phase. With 17 or more players, 8 go to the next phase.

The players in the second phase should face each other in an elimination system, with 2 player tables. If there are only 2 players in this phase, there will be only one match, of course. The highest scoring player should face the lowest scoring one in the first match and so on. Like, if there are 8 players, this is how the brackets should start:
1 8 4 5 2 7 3 6

I must warn you, though, ties in secondary score should be more common in Splendor than in Carcassonne, and this system doesn't describe a way to deal with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.