Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy FotP, but it seldom gets to the table as my group is a 5. Was super excited by the prospect of Colony, but have abandoned the idea as I'll never get it to the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar dilemma.
Perhaps 2 players can work together as '1 player', i.e. take it in turns to control one 'player' ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the recent focus on shorter playing time (who plays games that take more than 90 minutes these days?) has created a bias toward lower player counts. Or it seems that way to me as nearly every game I've been interested in in recent times is a max of 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's also cheaper to manufacture a 4 player game than a 5 player game - fewer components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the other hand I'm so happy that this plays solo as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
On the other hand I'm so happy that this plays solo as well.

OP: buy 2 copies, 1x 4 players, 1x solo -- problem solved!

*exit stage right, ducking tomatoes*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, with two copies you could probably manage a five-player game, as you'd have starting cards for the fifth player and could add some more cards to the stacks.

I do know this is something of a question of how many cards there are in the game. With four players, you can fit in more different kinds of cards, which makes for a more interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I really enjoy FotP, but it seldom gets to the table as my group is a 5. Was super excited by the prospect of Colony, but have abandoned the idea as I'll never get it to the table
For those of us who don't have all abbreviations memorized while in another game's forum... FotP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
For those of us who don't have all abbreviations memorized while in another game's forum... FotP?

Another game by Bezier - Favor of the Pharoh. It's also a dice drafting game.

Maybe an expansion will add a 5th player like Suburbia 5 did for Suburbia. I was not surprised to see the 1-4 player count, as pretty every game he publishes is 1-4 - subdivision, Suburbia, Castles, FotP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing in the rules really limits player count, just buy an extra set and enjoy the downtime! of course if you had 6 or more even numbered players you could have 2 players going across from each other at the same time. would make those trading cards very interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on the basis that is not a component limitation, rather it's a design decision to not create a game that is workably playable at counts > 4. So buying multiple sets isn't going to produce a playable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I'm working on the basis that is not a component limitation, rather it's a design decision to not create a game that is workably playable at counts > 4. So buying multiple sets isn't going to produce a playable game.

Do you have any evidence for this "basis"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Do you have any evidence for this "basis"?
I assume that if it had been tested at player counts higher than 4 and found to be a good game at those counts then either (a) it would be sold as such, (b) there would be official Variants in the rules for playing with higher player counts and/or multiple sets. Given the lack of either, I'm working on the basis that it was a design decision to cap it at 4. If you have any counter-evidence please feel free to share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder One Night Ultimate Werewolf now from www.beziergames.com
badge
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
mbmbmb
Just to halt speculation, we did look into increasing player count, and it wasn't a pleasant playing experience, mainly because there was too much downtime immediately after your turn. While this testing was done pretty early in the development cycle, we haven't revisited it since then, but I don't think it would be any better.

You would need multiple copies of the game for this to work, because the game requires 1 variable card of each type in the game per player. I'm not sure what the effect would be on the basic cards, as those are fixed, and the length of the game changes via the VP target based on the number of players (primarily due to the fixed quantity of those cards). Having the game with a lower VP target for 5 players would essentially remove turns from the game, reducing the amount of overall strategy in the game.

As a rule, games we publish are published with the components needed for the best player counts...I don't believe there's an instance of us reducing the player count to reduce the expense of the game, though I could understand why a publisher might do that (though it always irritates the heck out of me when a game comes with limited player pieces in certain colors, forcing you to play with the colors that have a lot of pieces for lower player counts).

So the bottom line is...Colony is 1-4 player game because it's good at those numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toulouse wrote:
Just to halt speculation, we did look into increasing player count, and it wasn't a pleasant playing experience, mainly because there was too much downtime immediately after your turn. While this testing was done pretty early in the development cycle, we haven't revisited it since then, but I don't think it would be any better.

You would need multiple copies of the game for this to work, because the game requires 1 variable card of each type in the game per player. I'm not sure what the effect would be on the basic cards, as those are fixed, and the length of the game changes via the VP target based on the number of players (primarily due to the fixed quantity of those cards). Having the game with a lower VP target for 5 players would essentially remove turns from the game, reducing the amount of overall strategy in the game.

As a rule, games we publish are published with the components needed for the best player counts...I don't believe there's an instance of us reducing the player count to reduce the expense of the game, though I could understand why a publisher might do that (though it always irritates the heck out of me when a game comes with limited player pieces in certain colors, forcing you to play with the colors that have a lot of pieces for lower player counts).

So the bottom line is...Colony is 1-4 player game because it's good at those numbers.
And that was the basis on which I was proceeding Thank you Ted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Captain
United States
Travis AFB
California
flag msg tools
Carry On!
mbmbmbmbmb
toulouse wrote:

As a rule, games we publish are published with the components needed for the best player counts..

So refreshing to hear! It really bothers me when publishers ignore the designer and inflate player counts for sales. I respect companies like this one; I can trust that the player counts listed are all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Fast
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So Ted, in your testing, at what player count(s) does Colony shine most? Or maybe put another way, what shines when the game is played at each different player count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toulouse wrote:

i has assumed all of this and i wasnt trying to disparage your decisions, im sure you made the correct decision for the gamme. however "best" is an opinion, and some groups dont mind down time at all. some people would be interested in getting 2 sets and giving it a go. some games have actual mechanical limitations that prevent more than the stated player counts, this one does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder One Night Ultimate Werewolf now from www.beziergames.com
badge
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
mbmbmb
glax wrote:
So Ted, in your testing, at what player count(s) does Colony shine most? Or maybe put another way, what shines when the game is played at each different player count?

Three is probably my favorite, as there's pretty much no downtime at all, and you can effectively use the trading cards (trading with 2 just doesn't make sense, though they do have a good VP-to-Cost ratio).

There's more tension in a 4 player game, and the attack/defend cards are much more interesting because players have a lot of choices.

Two players has more turns, so you can developer deeper strategies, and the "discard" mechanism is much more critical to pay attention to. And since there are only two of each variable card, you can corner the market on a few of them resulting in extremely distinct playing strategies for each player.

Different aspects will appeal to different kinds of players, I think...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with 3 > 2 > 4, but the difference between 3 and 4 is not much; I'd rate it 8/10 on all player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious ... is there enough stuff in the box to split into 2 games -- 2er and 3er? Ignoring d6, which would be easy to substitute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
Just curious ... is there enough stuff in the box to split into 2 games -- 2er and 3er? Ignoring d6, which would be easy to substitute.

after 3 expansions become available it should be fairly easy to split into 2 games, you would just have to share the exploration deck and the system stack

EDIT wait wait wait wrong forum i was talking about a different game i apologize.

EDIT2: i believe you would be short cards, the random cards have 1 of each per player, so do play a 3 and 2 player game you would need 5 of each of those and it comes with 4. you could do some kind of proxy though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess I will be one of the few who seem to be happy this is a 4 player max game.

5 player games in my opinion:
-Generally have too much downtime between turns
-End up being too long a game time wise for what it is
-Feel cramped physically as there's even more stuff on the same size table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Well, I guess I will be one of the few who seem to be happy this is a 4 player max game.

Around a dozen people have posted in this thread. That seems a thin reed on which to rest the conclusion that most of the thousands of people who will buy the game intensely desire to play with 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:

5 player games in my opinion:
-Generally have too much downtime between turns
-End up being too long a game time wise for what it is
-Feel cramped physically as there's even more stuff on the same size table.

All quite laughable reasons in my opinion. But I guess because I play so often with 5 I'm a little more tolerant of the magnitude of those "issues". But then I prefer longer/heavier games over shorter/lighter games, the current trend for games with a maximum of 4 players and sub- 90-minute game times is very disappointing to me. Hence my disappointment that this very interesting game doesn't cater to my player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.