Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be running a VITP tournament at Millennium Con in Round Rock, TX (a suburb of Austin) November 11-13th, which is Veteran's Day weekend.

Four rounds: 6pm Fri, 9am Saturday, 2pm Saturday, 9am Sunday. Winning the tournament will require playing all 4 rounds, but players may drop in or out of any round. Also, everyone can play any round they wish regardless of wins or losses in earlier rounds.

All experience levels welcome, including brand new players - I'll be happy to set up a teaching game if anyone wants. You have to register for MilenniumCon - http://www.millenniumcon.info/ - to play in the tournament. Registration for the con opens on 9/25. The Con lasts all day Fri/Sat so there's time to check out of the rest of the games there too, mostly miniatures gaming but also some Axis & Allies.

Pass on the info to any wargamers in Central Texas you know of. I think we'll have a few competitors from New Orleans, Dallas, and Houston as well as some local folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilton McManus
msg tools
Daniel,

I will be attending from New Orleans. Looking forward to it. If there are any other players in the LA/MS area, contact me.

Hilton@admin1s.com

Hilton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you going to BGG con the next week?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I couldn't take consecutive weekends off work, plus I don't tend to prioritize open-gaming conventions as opposed to organized tournament play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a tremendous amount of scheduled wargaming at BGG Con, FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to check it out more thoroughly then. I was considering going a few years back but at that point it seemed to be a "Bring some games and find people to play with" convention, which doesn't appeal to me as much based on my past experiences at those. And hopefully next year I won't be working so many weekends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, far from it.

They have a game library with thousands of games that you can check out.
The wargaming is certainly not the focus but there are dedicated guys who sign up in advance to play everything from Here I Stand, ASL, Great Campaigns of the Civil war, etc. You name it.

It's always good to run into those guys every year too.

Understood completely on the weekends. I always hate missing Millenium Con as it is so close by but the timing almost always is the weekend before BGG Con.

Good luck with your tourney! I'm sorry to miss it as I fancy myself a pretty decent player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next year I'll have to try both cons then. Maybe even run VITP at BGG instead for a bigger turnout, although who knows at this point. Know any other VITP players in the Austin area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The wargaming is certainly not the focus but there are dedicated guys who sign up in advance to play everything from Here I Stand, ASL, Great Campaigns of the Civil war, etc. You name it.

Look around and it just looked like this was essentially the same as open gaming but with finding opponents in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, essentially.

We've found it is easier and more reliable to schedule wargames, especially the deeper and multi player ones, rather than just show up and hope others are there at the same time and location.

There are groups who meet annually and this is their big get together to play some of these epic matches like Here I Stand and others.

It is a very good group of wargamers. It is different from conventions with purely scheduled events but as an 8 year veteran (and counting), it is one heck of a fun con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I am disappointed that I can’t make this event featuring a truly great game. I would love to play VITP again. I hope there will be an after action report and a future event in Texas. I hope there are others from the Houston area going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.