$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 61.54

4,396 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
27.7% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Chris Booth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What would you reccomend?

I have:
Tie Fighter
Tie/FO
Tie/SF
Tie Advanced (with ATC and title)
Tie bomber
Tie Punisher
Tie Advanced Prototype
Tie Defender
Tie Phantom

I don't have an Interceptor yet.

At a previous event like this I took Vader with ATC and title etc and it was fine, but the main competition was Nera in her B-wing with 360 arc plasma torpedoes and I think cluster missiles with munitions failsafe, so incredibly hard to take down and even when avoiding damage it wasn't losing ordnance.

What are people's thoughts? I'm tempted to try a Tomax Bren build but think it'll get minced quite quickly by other ordnance lists + arc dodgers. Or just straight jousters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have Imperial Veterans? Ryad might be a good pick.

There are some really good TIE Interceptor builds you could take too (Soontir, Carnor) but it doesn't appear that you have those.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega Leader Juke Comm Rely and Shield is 30 and probably the best solo ship in the game. (you could swap shield for stealth device too)


Ryad with Juke and x-7 is 34 could give her Tie MK II for 10 green!

or My favorite (go with your gut here)

Tomax Bren Crack Shot, Conner Net, Proton Torps, Extra Munitions, and Guidence Chips (35 even)

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryad is crazy 1vs1 devil

If you have Imperial Veterans, my suggestion is:

Tie Defender
Countess Ryad (34)
Crack Shot (1)
TIE x/7 (-2)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1) / not necessary

or
replace CS with anything from list below:
Predator (3)
Lone Wolf (2)
Juke (2)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Booth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, I do have veterans and Ryad was another consideration, high PS arc dodgers and again, ordnance are my big concerns though.

That being said I think it's probably between her and Tomax. Though I was thinking of Expert Handling to dump target locks (making vader/omega leader have to waste actions) and neutering a lot of ordnance lists. Unless they have deadeye.
I realise this means Tomax doesn't get to use his ability, but I think his PS is the important thing here. Maybe?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Goseki1 wrote:
Thanks guys, I do have veterans and Ryad was another consideration, high PS arc dodgers and again, ordnance are my big concerns though.

That being said I think it's probably between her and Tomax. Though I was thinking of Expert Handling to dump target locks (making vader/omega leader have to waste actions) and neutering a lot of ordnance lists. Unless they have deadeye.
I realise this means Tomax doesn't get to use his ability, but I think his PS is the important thing here. Maybe?


With only 35 pts of enemy (I assume), you really won't have to worry THAT much about ordnance in an x7 Defender - they are unbelievably tanky.

Just - rule of thumb with an x7. ALWAYS GO SPEED 3 OR HIGHER. Never lower. Never. You might think you have an absolutely critical need for a speed-2 or speed-1 maneuver to get in the ideal position...but you'd be wrong, because it's not a speed-3-or-higher maneuver.

(FWIW, that's one of the reasons I find the Mk2 engine...less necessary. It only effectively adds 2 greens, since you REALLY NEED TO BE GOING SPEED 3. Still, if building to 35 pts, I suppose it doesn't hurt - I'd take Ryad + x7 + Juke, myself. And that leaves you 1 pt for the Mk2 engines. Get your free evade and then 'focus' as your action - saving it for defense - and just tank your way through enemy PS advantages or ordnance)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the MkII engines aren't really important. It's just that he has 1 point left over and there's not much else you can stick in there.

Ryad + Juke + TIE/x7 + MkII is about the best you're going to get I think for this format.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that x7 Ryad is a great choice (though I'd take Push the Limit over Juke personally), but if the match up is guaranteed to be 1-on-1 I'd be very tempted to take Omega Leader. With Juke, Comm Relay, and either Shield Upgrade or Stealth Device, Omega Leader is an absolute beast to take down 1-on-1. You always get dice mods and your opponent never does, and they lose one of their rolled evade results every attack too.

It's worth noting that the Lone Wolf upgrade is extremely good in this format too. Someone who doesn't have a preferred Elite talent (like Vader) can be great with it. Maybe Vader with ATC, Lone Wolf, and a Hull Upgrade? Sadly, he's one point shy of getting the engine upgrade in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
radfordblue wrote:
I agree that x7 Ryad is a great choice (though I'd take Push the Limit over Juke personally), but if the match up is guaranteed to be 1-on-1 I'd be very tempted to take Omega Leader. With Juke, Comm Relay, and either Shield Upgrade or Stealth Device, Omega Leader is an absolute beast to take down 1-on-1. You always get dice mods and your opponent never does, and they lose one of their rolled evade results every attack too.

It's worth noting that the Lone Wolf upgrade is extremely good in this format too. Someone who doesn't have a preferred Elite talent (like Vader) can be great with it. Maybe Vader with ATC, Lone Wolf, and a Hull Upgrade? Sadly, he's one point shy of getting the engine upgrade in.


A lot of ships definitely get stronger in 1v1 format.

Echo + Kallus + Collision Detector + VI + SPA
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Booth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The format is definitely 1 v 1 so Omega Leader is a good shout. Again though with ordnance, all it takes is a lucky plasma shot roll to ruin his day. Trying to eat through a B-wings health whilst its firing clusters and plasmas at you (admittedly with no mods) with a tie fighter is hard going...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Goseki1 wrote:
The format is definitely 1 v 1 so Omega Leader is a good shout. Again though with ordnance, all it takes is a lucky plasma shot roll to ruin his day. Trying to eat through a B-wings health whilst its firing clusters and plasmas at you (admittedly with no mods) with a tie fighter is hard going...


1-v-1 with no large bases may change the picture, some.

You'll definitely be facing at least somebody running the Ryad list, above - it's just too strong not to. Might be worth it to go for an arc-dodger, after all. SOOOO much easier to dodge arcs with only one enemy on the table.

Carnor could be an option - he certainly shuts down the worst of the x7 shens...

Carnor Jax + Royal Guard Title + Stealth + Autothrusters + Push the Limit = 34 points, and you are PS8...moving after nearly any Defender you'd face. Obviously you give initiative to OL when facing him, so you can dodge his shots. Nera with torpedoes? Just stay in range 1! Actually - everyone 'stay at range 1' of...

(Very fragile compared to the x7 lists, though, so...don't screw up maneuvering! Mess up once, and it's game over for you.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Booth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's a good plan but the Interceptor /Tie Aces are two things go I don't have.

It's small base only, 1 ship and upgrades up to 35pts
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few off the top of my head I'd be tempted to do:

Vessery with the x7 and Lone Wolf

Redline with Fire Control system, Concussion Missiles, Extra Munitions and Guidance chips.

Maarek Stele in the TIE Advanced x1 with title, ATC, Push the Limit, Proton Rockets and Twin Ion Engine mk II.

Tomax Bren with Shuttle upgrade, Agent Kallus, Ysanne Isard, Engine Upgrade and Crack Shot. Maybe replace Isard with a Flight Instructor depending on your preferences.

Happy Hunting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:
Vessery with the x7 and Lone Wolf


I don't even...what? WHY?

In a 1-vs-1 situation, Vessery's named pilot ability will literally never trigger. Ever. Not once. It isn't possible.

The only possible reason to take him over Ryad is if you believe that PS6 rating is so much more important than PS5 to be worth giving up an awesome pilot ability for a literally-useless one.

In which case...don't spend 35 pts on Vessery for PS6, just grab a generic Glaive Squadron pilot. Same PS, equally useful "pilot ability" in a 1-vs-1 situation...but only spending 34 points, instead of 35. So you could at least take the Mk2 engines that have some (minor) value.

But for real - if thinking about a lone TIE Defender at 35 pts...it's Ryad with x7 and Juke you want.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your positive contribution to this discussion. While I don't need to, I will answer your question.

XanderF wrote:
I don't even...what? WHY?


Because I like Colonel Vessery. Why does it matter so much to you? Our fellow X-Winger asked for thoughts and I gave them. I'm a huge advocate of play who you want and have fun with it. Same reason I said Maarek Stele. Clearly you are so distraught by it that were you to play against it you would make a mistake and I would win. OK maybe not but good grief lighten up!

There's absolutely no need to criticize. Personally I hope that the OP doesn't take any of my suggestions, rather instead through the discussion I hope they find their own inspiration of what they want to fly and enjoy it. There is no ground to argue against that.

Imperial suggestions. I gave them. You want to know who I would really take to this?

Horton Salm with R2-D6, Deadeye, Plasma Torps, Extra Munitions, Guidance Chips and a Dorsal Turret. Why? Because I like Horton Salm. It doesn't matter how tactically viable it is or isn't. I play who I want and I have a good time with the people I'm playing the game with.

If I win great and if I lose that's fine. I had a great time either way. The day that stops happening I stop playing the game.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Anyone else think that a Phantom with Intelligence Agent would work well for this type of event?

I'm not a competitive player, but it seems like it would be interesting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I have fun with Ryad, TIE/D and Tractor Beam. But that's me, while it might not be as competitive as it could be, its really satisfying to get in range 1, remove a maneuver, and follow up with a 4 dice attack.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Booth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input guys. I think I've settled on Tomax. I think his ability lets him hit like a tank, though question his survivability against 3/4 Dice aces with o Shields. His ordnance gives him lots of range possibilities and crack shot and guidance chips help push damage through the, particularly with homing missiles which don't use the target lock and I'm which a defender can't use evade tokens.


· Tomax Bren (24)
Crack Shot (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Homing Missiles (5)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

The lack of Shields really concerns me though. Might be better off taking Redline...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on how he did for me in a Store Tourney this weekend, you might look at "Quickdraw" with Rage and Electronic Baffle. That would allow you 3 points for Proton rockets.

If you can drop into range one, pop Rage, and E-Baffle Away one token you can fire on Soontir with 4 dice, up to three rerolls and a focus token *BEFORE* he executes his maneuver. If you have the pilot beat on pilot skill, which you most likely will, you can hang onto the focus token for the first attack and just use the rerolls for damage, then follow up with a prockets shot rerolling up to three of those dice.

You have a very good chance of one-shotting almost anything on the board. Even played defensively his native double-tap ability can be very, very powerful.

*now that I'm thinking of it if I ran a tourney like this I'd give serious consideration to banning him*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Booth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I definitely considered it, though I've not flown my SF yet so I'm not sure I want to try it for the first time at the event. Though.. Yeah could be silly fun. Damn yous for making me unsure now XD
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
GrantZilla1979 wrote:
Based on how he did for me in a Store Tourney this weekend, you might look at "Quickdraw" with Rage and Electronic Baffle. That would allow you 3 points for Proton rockets.

If you can drop into range one, pop Rage, and E-Baffle Away one token you can fire on Soontir with 4 dice, up to three rerolls and a focus token *BEFORE* he executes his maneuver. If you have the pilot beat on pilot skill, which you most likely will, you can hang onto the focus token for the first attack and just use the rerolls for damage, then follow up with a prockets shot rerolling up to three of those dice.

You have a very good chance of one-shotting almost anything on the board. Even played defensively his native double-tap ability can be very, very powerful.

*now that I'm thinking of it if I ran a tourney like this I'd give serious consideration to banning him*

Prockets do literally nothing for QD though? He gets 4 dice at range 1 front arc anyway. The only benefit they could give him is Guidance Chips.

QD isn't overpowered in this format because he's squishy and actively helping the enemies to squish him quicker. He's powerful, but he is the glassiest of cannons.

FTR, my answer to this question would almost certainly be Soontir Fel, or just maybe VI Vader given that there wouldn't be THAT many turrets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thespaceinvader wrote:

Prockets do literally nothing for QD though? He gets 4 dice at range 1 front arc anyway. The only benefit they could give him is Guidance Chips.


Gah. Right you are. Still wrapping my head around a 2 AGI TIE.

thespaceinvader wrote:
QD isn't overpowered in this format because he's squishy and actively helping the enemies to squish him quicker. He's powerful, but he is the glassiest of cannons.


I think an Inquisitor flown well keeping him at range eats his lunch. Same thing with a Defender.

thespaceinvader wrote:
FTR, my answer to this question would almost certainly be Soontir Fel, or just maybe VI Vader given that there wouldn't be THAT many turrets.


Well, since Prockets are a waste on him, dropping that three frees up enough for TIE Mk. II and Weapons Guidance. That helps his abysmal dial and makes the Rage punch more potent. It also beats Soontir on initiative. Even with Soonts shooting at R1 I think QD gives him a run for his money, but only if you can really stick that range 1 double-tap.

I think the answer vs. Vader might be more defensive, as he's a little more vulnerable to the fly-by attack than Soonty is with his mountain of tokens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Booth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So this list pretty much wrecked house:

· Tomax Bren (24)
Crack Shot (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Homing Missiles (5)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

No Soontir and no Darth Vaders, but there were a bunch of Defenders and Fang fighters. We all played 5 games and me and 2 people with Fenn Rau won 4 out of 5 games. The only thing I lost against was Ryad because she could out K-turn me and got 2, 2 damage crits in a row ;_;, the other Defenders were much more predictable and easy to blast. Homing Missiles are disgusting.

Fangs are interesting too, the only one I faced threw a whole lot of red Dice at me but once I got behind it the homing missiles and crack shot murdered it.

The next stage of the competition is a 55 point named large base (I'll use my Decimator) and then a two ship list, where you have to use the same small based pilot you used in the first game + a generic pilot in the sane ship, up to 65 points. I'll likely just take similar ordnance on a generic, possibly with deadeye.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Congrats!

And good luck in the next rounds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
55 point named large base is an interesting format.

My best guess would be VI Dengar for that, though a tooled-out Party Bossk would also be interesting.

I suspect PTL IGGy C would be very strong too though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.