Subject: Strategy for Dung Beetle Knight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb

Tackled the DBK yesterday for the first time (lantern year 11).
Total Party kill. soblue

Since i like to be surprised, I did not expect all the free ball attacks during its activation and did not plan for bleeding (like I do for the Butcher).
I had a guy wit Tumble and a full leather set, but they worked for about 2 turns. Most of my hunters got separated, knocked down and then punched to death.
Yet, I managed to bring it to half the IA deck. It's not an excuse, but I really rolled poorly to hit and wound (just one critical). Another nasty surprise was to see how may bad reaction you can trigger with the DBK, a lot of ones that move you away interrupting an attack sequence.

If you have any ideas for the future…
Right now I have: Full Gorm set with shied (for auto block), full rawhide, full leather, almost full screaming. Some mid strength Gorm weapons (gaxe, rib blade, greater gaxe)
I do not plan to hunt the DBK for a couple of years, in order to:

- Get the fist&tooth mastery so everybody is specialized and gets up quickly
- Complete the screaming set (on insane hunters is quite tanky)
- Get a second shield (should do it for the Hand, anyway)
- Do a lot of of Round stone training to spread Tumble around

I'm doing a People of the Bloom campaign and unlocked Clan of Death.
So I'm starting to get some strong second-generation survivors.

During the fight I found myself drained of survival trying to attack and dash out of the Baller zone. I guess that fist&tooth specialization may help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparse ideas:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1. Always use one action to separate it from the ball. You will (mostly) have it perform just half its actions every turn, and will avoid a dramatic Baller.
2. Use weapons with Range. 2 is bare minimum, but having 3 (bows, Blue Saviors and some other odd gear) will help you a lot. The same are the set bonus that make you move after activation/attack: basically, you don't want to get hit by a Baller every turn, and there is always the chance.
3. Autowound whenever you can. Counterweighted Axes and armor spikes do wonders.
4. Criticals are your friends, although not as much as they would due to Century Carapace.
5. Focus on keeping Survival high, if you can. Rawhide sets + Shields + Shield mastery can get you anywhere from 3 to 5 armor on all location and a 50% survival increase. Due to the horrendous hit locations he has, this fight will last more turns than usual. Be prepared or be sorry.
6. A whistling mace (or good maces anyway) does wonders. Always try devastating and savage attacks to get the most from the occasional wounds.
7. Get Dung Beetle Strength and Pulsating Lantern. You can keep it four turns away to get back to the ball while you pelt it with all your ranged weapons if you do this right, mid showdown. Always use Pulsating Lantern (once per showdown, so, use ONCE) to interrupt its flow during AI. Dung Beetle Strength is also a lifesaver when hunting the Lion God (you need A LOT of lifesavers).

Sadly, you want to hunt the L2 DBK to maximize efficiency (and get Scells), and that is even more tough. You are a lot better than me if you manage to bring one down before LY15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is commonly rated very high for difficulty but I never found him that bad. Just remember the action for a survivor to push his ball D5 spaces. This has to be done at the end of every turn so that he doesn't get the free ball attack and makes most of his attacks simply a basic attack instead. Unlike other late game enemies you can actually effectively tank him since his basic attack isn't random targeting.

Personally I think his hardest part is the annoying hit location deck but again kicking his ball away minimizes the real bad reactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another couple of sparse thoughts, matured by late talks with fen and from experience (hunted 4 L1 DBKs and another L2 in two different campaigns since that last post):

Spoiler (click to reveal)

- shooting at a distance of 8 automatically makes you impossible to be hit by the trap, so if you know or strongly suspect that a trap is coming, just pelt him with bows. Vespertine bow with max range is killer for this out of the box, but any bow with a blue Savior can do the trick.
- make your designated tank carry stinky gear: that way, you can make him targeted almost automatically by most AI.
- Shield mastery IS the solution to stay near when it uses Ground Pound.
- As it was said, if you hunted Gorm earlier, its gear seems made to hunt the DBK. Sunstalker (quarry-mode) can be hunted a couple or three years before DBK, the L1 one is a pushover compared to the DBK, and all its gear is gold, both in hunting DBKs and to unlock PoLantern: EZ(-ish) mode
- Bring a badge! Tactics are usually a forgotten card in the heap, but if you pick a DBK tactic, ironically all three of them are useful (albeit situationally and usually not for the entire showdown) to bring it down.
- from hunt events, you can also gain that fighting art that makes you gain momentum tokens (I'm confusing it with steadfast status now, so just refer to the name: accumulate tokens, drink a frenzy drink and unleash your fastest attack at +X strength/+X luck. If you have some devastating or savage weapons, you can halve its deck in a single attack.

EDIT: damn you, autocorrect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.