Subject: Get this game now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I get this game now if I can (due to the GW/FFG breakup)? It looks like a good game with a cool theme. But:

We play mostly 2p, sometimes 3.

Is there any newer and improved game that does what this game does?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Should I get this game now if I can (due to the GW/FFG breakup)? It looks like a good game with a cool theme. But:

We play mostly 2p, sometimes 3.

I prefer it in four players. Every other player count works too, just not as well.

eatem wrote:

No obvious games come to mind. Most of the games its ilk are considerably simpler, for better and for worse.

The game is very chaotic and it uses that as a strength. This bit of information should inform your decision for the most part. Check out some reviews and you should be able to get a good feel of the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Phoenix
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's now or (possibly) never. The panic buying of all GW properties held by FFG is on and in full swing.

I love the game, but others certainly do not.

If it's in your budget buy it. Even if you hate it you can probably resell it in 6-12 months for more than you paid for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Is it preconstructed decks or do you have to build the from scratch like Magic/LCG-games? Or is it like a deckbuilder where you add cards as you go?

Is the game very advanced. Can you teach it and play with light weight gamers that play games like Ticket to ride, lords of warerdeep and splendor?

Will watch some reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:

Is it preconstructed decks or do you have to build the from scratch like Magic/LCG-games? Or is it like a deckbuilder where you add cards as you go?

Kind of. You start with a given deck with assigned players which is different for every team and then are allowed to hire random players during the game. I think it is more like Dominion, except you do not choose the new cards.

eatem wrote:

Is the game very advanced. Can you teach it and play with light weight gamers that play games like Ticket to ride, lords of warerdeep and splendor?

It is a medium weight. The mechanics are not complicated but they need to be executed in sequence and a bit of lateral thinking is needed in case two cards contradict each other ( happens rarely)

My suggestion is buy everything, base and expansions. As someone already said if you really do not like it you will be able to resell everything easily.

I personally like it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Thanks.

Will watch some reviews

Preconstructed teams, but you add players during the game. However, you don't add so many players that I would call it a full on deckbuilder.

It is pretty easy to teach. Basically, on your turn, you play a player to a match and then do what its icons say. There are a few teams with some shenanigans going on, but you can play without them at first. I've heard that it is somewhat similar in play to Smash Up but can't confirm as I haven't played that yet.

I love the game myself and would recommend picking it up if you can. You could always trade/sell it away later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:

I think Dogs of War is a similar game. The main difference to Blood Bowl is the ability to fight with more players on one side of a battle/game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:

Smash Up feels very similar to me. However, I prefer playing Team Manager. I hate those hands in smashup where you have only events and you can't do anything for several turns....

Honestly, I like this game a lot. It can run a little long which may put some people off, but I'd say at least snag the base game if you have a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Get it. I got it and I am glad I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered everything. The expansions was not in stock though, hope they can get them for me. Fingers crossed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.