United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Thanks for today's poll idea go to:

shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking

Poll: The 373rd TGIF Poll
How much do you discuss non-gaming matters while you are playing games with your game group?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
All the time
12.5% 37
Frequently
37.6% 111
Sometimes
36.9% 109
Rarely
12.9% 38
Never
0.0% 0
Voters 295
What discussion topics will you avoid while playing games?

(Check all that apply)
Religion
56.8% 113
Sex
60.8% 121
Politics
60.8% 121
Personal matters
33.7% 67
Work
24.1% 48
Family
17.1% 34
Other forms of gaming (RPGs, Video Games, etc.)
11.6% 23
Financial matters
48.7% 97
Movies/TV
14.1% 28
Things you forgot to put in this poll, but I will mention in the comments :)
5.5% 11
Voters 199
Do you wish there was more or less non-gaming discussion while you are playing games?
More
5.5% 16
Less
11.9% 35
We have it just right
82.6% 242
Voters 293
This poll is now closed.   295 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:00 am

4. What is your favorite topic to discuss while playing games?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to be in a gaming situation where there is any topic we're uncomfortable discussing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for another great TGIF Poll! I suppose it depends on the game and the mood, but there are definitely times when I would like to tell the group to JUST PLAY THE GAME!! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 2 should have an option along the lines of "No topic is taboo". I game with friends I've known for 10+ years so we don't have any taboo topics.

As to Question 4, we don't pick a particular topic, it's all just free form. Whatever we talk about we talk about and that's the way we all like it.

As an aside, tonight is game night and I can't wait!! I just started the work day and I'm already counting down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I don't have a real "game group" I play only with family and friends. And when you game with family and friends there is discussion about non-game matters ALL THE TIME!

2 - Politics is something that is always carefully avoided at any game table I've sat at. Sex isn't usually a topic we will discuss (unless it's in a joking manner.) And nobody really wants to talk about money while we're having fun.

3 - I don't really want to change the quantity of non-game discussion when we're together. Sometimes I wish I could get people to quiet down when I'm trying to teach rules, but otherwise it doesn't bother me very much.

4 - I'm a real cinephile, so any time we can talk movies I'm going to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmb
1. We're close friends. Friendships (and whatever friends want to talk about) come first and then games.

2. It's not that we avoid talking about video games, RPGs; instead we just don't really play them.

3. Wouldn't want it any other way

4. a) Politics--the madness that is Donald Trump comes up a lot lately.
b) Kids--several of us are parents, and the kids are often around.
c) I also like to stir things up with a little trash talk, so the others often talk about how badly I lose games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to no topic off limits
Maybe if there is a new person, if there gaming with me and mine they become on of us quickly though.

With one of my groups I occasionally wish we would talk non-gaming stuff more but thats more about me wanting to be better friends to them and being included in their social circle. Not that I'm excluded or anything but they just know each other better for longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly game with people that I intend to make friends with or are already friends with so our discussions tend to be random but often enjoyable. All of us have a good sense of humor and are silly at times so our game nights often dissolve into fits of laughter at some point.

Blott wrote:

I cannot say I have a preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

games. more games. essen. different cons in the area. games and more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most frequent topic at my table is whether or not I mentioned "that rule" when explaining the game earlier.

(I did, you just weren't paying attention )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I play mostly (about 98%) with family and friends. The other 2% is more complex games (like 1830, T&E), which are complicated and deep enough that one doesn't tend to chat during the game. Although, I am at least acquaintances with those people, so there will still be some conversation before or after. I'm not a big fan of playing with strangers when I have access to friends and family.

2 - Religion - Not off limits, but seeing as how we all feel that our religious views are personal and we have no need to foist them on others, we don't tend to discuss this topic unless something big happens in the news.

Sex - Also, not off limits, but, will likely only be discussed in generalities in a group, not personal issues or experiences. That usually goes better in a one on one situation, we aren't a support group.

Politics - More likely to be discussed with friends as my family gets easily frustrated by my politics.

All the other subjects are likely to come up if the context warrants. Relevance in personal life of someone since last we saw each other. If it was in the news. Blahblahblah.

3 - In my experience, groups are good at auto-regulating. We seem to be having fun, so we seem to be getting the balance right.

4 - Likely my favourite topic is keeping abreast of the personal lives of my friends and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what you mean by "while you are playing games." I took the question literally and so said "rarely."

While the game is going on, we mostly just talk about the game. Why have a conversation about something else? It'd be like watching a movie and talking about some other topic.

Now, in between games, the conversation can go all over the place. One buddy of mine and I just shoot the shit in between games. Honestly, gaming is sometimes just an excuse to get together and talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Question 2 should have an option along the lines of "No topic is taboo".

We'll just have to assume that everyone who answers the other questions who don't answer the middle question are giving that answer. In other words, right at this moment there are 31 people who would vote that no topic is taboo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I posed the question because in the last two cities I've lived in, there is very little non-games discussion in my gaming groups. It isn't that other subjects are taboo it's just that no one really discusses them.

Note these are people I likely would have never met except for their love of games (but I'm sure glad I did).

At first, I was a bit put off by the lack of standard conversation...it didn't seem very friendly and was almost awkward. But now I kind of like to have a place where the outside world (aka real life) is not a priority. When I play games with family or non-game-obsessed friends, all discussion topics are fair game and are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
I've yet to be in a gaming situation where there is any topic we're uncomfortable discussing.

+1 for this.

I was going to say Work, because I have work mates, and even Direct Reports that come and game with me, but even then we are comfortable talking about whatever.

I think you know the group to know not to go too extreme in your views, whatever your group thinks is extreme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid Religion/Politics/Financial discussion in general for the most part. Frequently far too depressing and I cant deal with it.

I don't see 'sex' coming up much, though if we're including kink in that then it comes up plenty.

Favourite topic is board games! Best topic, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Not really a topic of discussion, more of an intrusive activity, but I am very frowny towards "hey, did you see this HILARIOUS video about the dude and the thing? Let me get my iPad so everyone can watch it!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been with my gamegroup for a long time, so we will talk about a lot. One of them had an elective surgery yesterday before gamegroup, and he played despite the ice in his seat, so of course there were jokes and talk about it.

I do try and avoid RSP topics as I play games for enjoyment and stress release.

Playing at a meetup or convention, I'll have friendly conversations, but nothing personal (I have to have a couple beers with you before I trust you ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
We are a Very chatty group and talk about everything but really avoid religious d topics and politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I left the second question blank because in our group nothing's taboo.

As for #4, I don't have a specific favourite. Kinda depends on the day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
During light, social games I enjoy talking on most topics. While playing heavier games, I prefer to burn out my brain on thinking of what I need to do to win the game.

Before, between and after games, I like to talk, again on most topics. I generally avoid politics and sex like the plague. People, myself included, can be very passionate about these subjects, and I may have drastically different views than the others at the table. I don't want what could be a pleasant time of gaming turning into an ugly argument.

I'm less reluctant to discuss religion than sex or politics, but I let others bring it up AND ASK me for my opinion before wading into it. I think I my avatar gives enough of an idea of my religious views for anyone to know where I stand on the subject. I'm glad to discuss religion with those that want to do so in a civil way. However, I have no desire to argue or spoil a gaming session.

My favorite topic around the gaming table is games, including gaming events, games on Kickstarter, BGG, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference, by far, is that once a game is underway that conversation be about the game. That could be trash talking, plotting and planning, threatening and begging, observations about the game state, or just stupid jokes. My preference, by far, are games that encourage such conversation (instead of silent focus.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
How much do you discuss non-gaming matters while you are playing games with your game group?
Personally, I say almost nothing not related to the current game. And even when I do talk about other things, it's usually other games. Others tend to talk about movies, computer games, and Uni things (one group is a Uni club so that's unsurprising).
From what I've noticed many of the others I game with have very little they won't talk about, although the specifics differ between groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the people I game with are either friends, or have become friends through gaming, so there's often a bit of non-gaming discussion at the table.

Topics that are less likely to be discussed include politics, sex and probably medical matters. Although religion is often considered a taboo subject, as one of the groups I have gamed with meets at our church, religion often does get discussed

I don't feel strongly either way, so I answered "we have it about right"

Other than gaming discussion, I tend to prefer talking either about other gaming forms e.g. videogames, or movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Sometimes. I game with different friends, and that leads to...

2. Some talk less about certain subjects, and others talk more. I usually avoid personal and financial matters, and won't discuss the topic of sex around my kids, so I won't embarrass the wife. So that leads to...

3. We have it about right.

4. Games. Or NFL football.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.