Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
My first impressions from this game are really positive but I am struggling with few rule niceties. If you can help that would be great

I have been playing the 2nd scenario where you have to disarm the missiles, using 2 heroes

Skarovs Accolytes - to keep it simple I just used one villain type 'Androids', and so I have 9 on the board. If Skarov activates Androids does he activate just one android figure or all of them? The rules say place the activation taken on the ID card, which implies its all of them

Combat with Acolytes. If I kill one Android do I kill them all? Again it says place damage tokens on the ID card (of which there is only one). If I only kill one android at a time wouldn't it make sense to place the damage on the figure?

But if it is the case of kill one android kill them all, can my heroes attack different androids but accumulate the damage?

Adam Spell's Power - This is stated as he can move to an adjacent room. But isn't that the same (actually often worse) as a normal move? I assume he was to use one of his actions to use his power?

Objective - In the scenario card is says start the timer on the 3 square. On the room card it says start it on the number corresponding to the number of tiles between the entry and the objective, which is 1 (and would make the scenario close to impossible)

Any guidance most welcome. And yes I have read the rulebook, the fan rulebook, the FAQ and watched many of the videos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given our play, here are my responses.

1. When activated, all minions of the type activate and move. So the less types of androids in the game, the more activated, but you lose out on the variability.

2. If you kill 1, it is removed from the board (not all of them). The wording is a bit awkward in the rules about this. The point is that the minions can swarm but are easily removed.

3. We play it is not an action but a free ability 1/turn.

4. I think it includes the Entry and Objective tile in the count, so it would be 3. Again awkwardly written in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Jay

Also I think each villain type can only be activated once per round Icorrect?) in which case if you have only one type in play you only get one chance to 'respond' to Heroes actions

Re 4) I definitely watched one video where it only counted the tiles inbetween, but I've watched so many now I cant remember if it was official or a fan video. But your answer makes sense, any other answer makes he scenario almost impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ADAM SPELL:

Please reread that card , is it Room or Tile? The reason i ask is there is no defenition of room in the game.

Tiles(room) have Areas, Areas have Spaces.

Can you put the exact name of the card and text as it appears i dont have my game in front of me.

If its the card im thinking of it is definetly not worse than a normal move.

OBJECTIVE : ITs three, even when using the Card instructions. You count your start and destination as well as you have to traverse those tiles.

Entrance Tile- 1
Trap Tile -2
Missile Tile -3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
Scott, thanks

Lazy typing on my part, it is area.

I guess if he can teleport through walls (and if he cant its just movement right?) then he could leapfrog a number of doors and walls. I can see that as a benefit, but there would obviously be a constraint to sending him too far ahead as he is relatively weak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
Actually just found Adam Spell in the FAQ

he cannot cross walls or closed doors with teleportation, just move into the next area. So it is basically half a move action. Some superpower!

Got to be the worst teleportation system in the known universe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlanBee wrote:
Actually just found Adam Spell in the FAQ

he cannot cross walls or closed doors with teleportation, just move into the next area. So it is basically half a move action. Some superpower!

Got to be the worst teleportation system in the known universe

It does, doesn't it?

You have got me thinking though; I wonder if it has some subtle benefit? As it is an ability, not an action could that mean that he could jump to the next area after his move was stopped by encountering an enemy. That would mean he is the only one who can get past an enemy in an area.

Bearing in mind it is such a weak power as you say, I think I might even house rule it to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlanBee wrote:
Thanks Jay

Also I think each villain type can only be activated once per round Icorrect?) in which case if you have only one type in play you only get one chance to 'respond' to Heroes actions

Re 4) I definitely watched one video where it only counted the tiles inbetween, but I've watched so many now I cant remember if it was official or a fan video. But your answer makes sense, any other answer makes he scenario almost impossible.

Re4) In the scenario book it clearly shows that you count the entry and objective tiles for the Missile scenario, but in the FAQs re the Experimentation Tile it doesn't count them, but says you can count one or both if you want to make it easier!

I feel the Sandbox approach to the rules means interpret as you see fit! I certainly think that the number of heroes playing must also impact on difficulty and therefore Dr Skarov can make adjustments to scenarios whether they are ready made or custom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
Actually I played a solo game and realised some benefit.

First off its an extra action effectively

Secondly it gives him the chance to use his mental strength to(say) disable the missiles, and then use transportation to retreat to an area of relative safety
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
I did come across another issue in my play through.

If a hero uses their last action to unlock a door and fails, they then restrict access for anyone else to try that turn, which means the whole gang are stuck, which apart from being a pain, didn't feel very realistic(some superhero if they can't simply get out of the way)

In the end I decided to house rule it in 2 ways.

1) if the activation space for a door is occupied by s friendly piece, then you can also deactivate diagonally. This is clearly NOT allowed in the rules

2) alternatively for all activation spots, if you are next to friendly piece that is in the way, you can swap the pieces position...equivalent to 'get out of my way, let me have a go' Doesn't cost an action, you can only do it once a turn and the piece being moved away has to agree to being moved

Similar problem when you are in a corridor, only have melee attacks and one of your team is in the way.....Not sure I have an answer for that yet

I'd be interested in others thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlanBee wrote:
I did come across another issue in my play through.

If a hero uses their last action to unlock a door and fails, they then restrict access for anyone else to try that turn, which means the whole gang are stuck, which apart from being a pain, didn't feel very realistic(some superhero if they can't simply get out of the way)

In the end I decided to house rule it in 2 ways.

1) if the activation space for a door is occupied by s friendly piece, then you can also deactivate diagonally. This is clearly NOT allowed in the rules

2) alternatively for all activation spots, if you are next to friendly piece that is in the way, you can swap the pieces position...equivalent to 'get out of my way, let me have a go' Doesn't cost an action, you can only do it once a turn and the piece being moved away has to agree to being moved

Similar problem when you are in a corridor, only have melee attacks and one of your team is in the way.....Not sure I have an answer for that yet

I'd be interested in others thoughts

You could house rule it to say that as long as their are no enemies on the same area, the hero that would like to attempt to open the door in the occupied space would have to spend a move action first. You can "move" into the space occupied by your ally, but end your movement in another space in the same area. Then allow that hero to take actions attempting to open the door. Forcing the hero to take a move action first would be the "penalty" for the other hero being in the way.

Looking at the situation however, if a hero makes opening a door his final action and fails.... I can actually see that. Golden Boy attempts to put his fist through the door but discovers the iron bulkhead is a bit sturdier than he first thought. Now he is blocking the doorway, preventing Super Nova from melting it off it's hinges.

I'll be playing my first game this coming weekend. I will make sure to point out that possible problem to the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
Yes I thought about making it an action to 'get out of the way' but in the end it didn't seem like a big action (compared to moving two areas for example) So it felt like saying 'duck' didn't need much of a penalty.

The penalty is the moved figure might end up further from its objective or might be moved into danger, so the owning playing of the figure may refuse to get out of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.