Subject: New Version Roof Ballaster Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Belcamp
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Roof Ballaster work the way I think it does.

I apologize for not having the exact card text, but I don not own the game. It reads something like "Pay one food to get a stone for each room in your initial home".

Does that mean:

Pay 1 food, get X stone (X = # of rooms)?

or

Pay 1 food, get 1 stone. You may do this X times (X = # of rooms)?

I think it's the first one; a friend disagrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The second, I would say. The number of rooms gives the maximum number of stones that can be taken, for one food each.

NB. I don't have the game in front of me but that's how I would interpret it based on other similar cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the play-agricola forum wording:
http://play-agricola.com/Agricola/Cards/index.php?id=6742
I would say you pay only 1 food to gain X stone.
I don't have the wording of the physical card though. Is it from the new release of Agricola? I wish they would sell a pack of just these new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belcamp
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
Based on the play-agricola forum wording:
http://play-agricola.com/Agricola/Cards/index.php?id=6742
I would say you pay only 1 food to gain X stone.
I don't have the wording of the physical card though. Is it from the new release of Agricola? I wish they would sell a pack of just these new cards.

The wording on the play-Agricola forum is different than the physical card (IIRC). This is from the new release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick is correct; the wording on the printed card is different from what's on play-agricola.com, and I don't have it in front of me, either. I will check it tonight when I face off against Ron again. Meanwhile, we've encountered it before and interpreted it to mean the second option, i.e. play the card and then swap off one food for one stone, up to as many times as you have rooms. The other way strikes us as too strong.

We could certainly be wrong, though. Either way, it's a poorly written card, which is rather disappointing given that this is the revised version of the game. I suggest dropping an inquiry into the Rules section of the revised game page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this happen at Gencon during the Mayfair US Qualifier. We played it as pay one food and get as many stone as rooms.

Geoff, it is strong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the german text it is 100% clear that you only have to pay 1 food.

I can see the confusion about the english text now that you mention it, but if the intention was to pay 1 food for every room i am very sure the wording would be different and clearer in that aspect. Therefor i think paying 1 food only is also the logical understanding of the english text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
1 food = x stone

(official confirmation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I stand corrected, and upon further reflection, I've realized that it's not as horrendously strong as I first imagined. As a lead-off Ock, it's essentially an early 2stone for one action, or very occasionally a 3stone, depending on circumstances. As a follow-up Ock, it's an action plus a 2food for likely a 3- or 4stone. That's nice, but far from game-breaking. Cool.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.