Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game 7 Card Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Brown
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Don't read if you don't want to be spoiled on Game 7 rules!

For the Basilisk Fang card, it says that the person who destroys the Basilisk acquires this card for free. Would you put this card in the deck and still have to draw it out or would you set it aside and the player immediately gets it after killing the Basilisk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not opened my Year Seven box yet, but this is how I would approach it.

First and foremost, if the instruction booklet doesn't tell you to separate the card, then you probably shouldn't. I would expect there to be a comment about it in the manual (unless there is an errata coming). Similarly, they could have included an alternate Basilisk villain card in the Year 7 box adding the acquisition of the fang to the reward section, but it sounds like this isn't the case.

Does the card have an influence cost on it? If yes, then I stand by my ruling above. The card is thus purchasable and there is no reason to separate it. If the card is meant to be separated, the cost would have no effect on the game, save for the Oppugno event. If the card does not have a cost on it, it would clog the purchasing row which I doubt would be an effect intended by the game designers.

All that said, I sounds like it would be a thematically interesting variant to do as you propose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GORMSEN
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What card is that? I don't have a basilisk fang in my box. We just opened box 7 last night and the only hogwarts card we got was the sword. Am I missing stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Edit: post completely changed.)

My first reply above is completely off base. I think what the OP is referring to is the reward from the sixth horcrux. According to the year seven rulebook, the player to defeats the horcrux acquires the card. So that would answer the OP's question. This could be important because it also means that it's ability could only be used on that player's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MGormsen wrote:
What card is that? I don't have a basilisk fang in my box. We just opened box 7 last night and the only hogwarts card we got was the sword. Am I missing stuff?

The Basilisk Fang is a special promo card that will be available at conventions and other events we are planning for.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tabletopjosh wrote:
Don't read if you don't want to be spoiled on Game 7 rules!

For the Basilisk Fang card, it says that the person who destroys the Basilisk acquires this card for free. Would you put this card in the deck and still have to draw it out or would you set it aside and the player immediately gets it after killing the Basilisk?

It follows the same rules of acquisition that you follow for other Hogwarts cards, in that it is placed in your discard pile and shuffled into your deck to draw on subsequent turns.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brown
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Thanks Andrew! Would it be shuffled in the Hogwarts Card deck at the beginning of the game though or would you set it aside (next to the villain cards or something?) until the Basilisk is killed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brown
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
It has no cost but only the player who actually delivers the killing blow on the Basilisk can take it. Which is why I think it would be set aside because, like you said, it could be drawn into the queue early and have to stay there until the Basilisk shows up and is then destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.