Subject: Fury of Dracula? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to hear people's impressions of this game. Since FF and GW are splitting, this is a potential game to scoop up, but I don't want to get it just because it may be unavailable soon. I already have the hidden movement mechanic in Specter Ops at home, and I just wasn't sure if I needed two games that do that, especially since I think Specter Ops is so well done.

SO, what are your thoughts on this game? Is it worth owning? I am a huge horror genre fan. Please help and thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

See 17:20 to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Bennett
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
I can't help answer the question, but I'm wondering the same! I'm interested to pick it up because I like the horror theme, but don't know much about it otherwise. It would be our first 'hidden movement' game as well, so we're new to that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not Eldritch horror level good but yeah i'd say it's worth owning. since it's going OOP it's probably an easy sell if you don't like it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
21 video reviews
13 written reviews
and you are asking people on this forum if we think you should buy the game??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:
21 video reviews
13 written reviews

Nope, I am asking people's thoughts and impressions of the game, not wether they think I should buy it. Thanks for taking to time to look up how many written and video reviews there are available in the database. That helps...I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a game with some flaws (for instance it can run long and Dracula needs to know what he is doing), but it is an incredibly fun game when the mood is right. Personally I have a lot of great stories from playing the game (like when I claw/dodged my way to victory on a full health Mina during the day in the 2nd edition). Overall it is extremely thematic, and the potential role reversal of cat and mouse during the night feels different from many other games of this type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Kassanova wrote:
21 video reviews
13 written reviews

Nope, I am asking people's thoughts and impressions of the game...

Nearly 500 comments on 3rd edition here
More than 2200 comments on 2nd edition here
400+ comments on the original version here

There are always a few kind souls who will type their comments out again for you personally, but after x number of times it does get old. The info is only a couple of clicks away; it would be cool if people learned to look first, then ask if they still had questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
I already have the hidden movement mechanic in Specter Ops at home, and I just wasn't sure if I needed two games that do that, especially since I think Specter Ops is so well done.
Given that, I don't think you 'need' Fury of Dracula.

(For me it also was a choice between Specter Ops and FoD. After reading and watching a couple of reviews I decided for FoD.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I inconvenienced anyone. I have been an Admin and have Moderated forums before, so I understand the search feature, and I understand that certain topics can come up a lot. I thought this section of the forum was about asking these kinds of questions, even if they have been asked before. In this section, couldn't every response be "Use the search feature"? There is the option to just not respond to a thread that you think has a common question. It's like a tv show, if you don't like it, turn the channel. Then, there is the option to waste one's time responding with a passive aggressive shaming of the OP. Not that it matters, but this thread made me feel pretty unwelcome. Oh well, I'll live. FoD sounds pretty cool. Maybe it will go on sale around Christmas time then I would definitely pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cunningham
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
flag msg tools
Firstly I'm afraid I can't help you with this other than to say that this game has been on my radar for some time. I wasn't aware it was potentially going OOP so now plan to pick it up when I can, so I'm happy to see this post.

Secondly this may be the most un-BGG-esque thread I've seen. I read these forums a lot, although never really post; what always strikes me is how approachable and considerate the community seems, unlike most anywhere else on the internet. There's plenty of threads I don't read (let alone post in!) because they hold no interest to me, it's really quite easy. If a thread doesn't warrant answers and it doesn't get any then it will fall into irrelevance, the logic in bumping a question you don't think should have been asked doesn't quite compute for me. Most all questions asked in 'Recommendations' could be resolved by doing some searches; anyone know if there's a thread that could help me find a game to play with my girlfriend/wife?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Indian Land
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played it for the first time the other night with my gaming group. The Dracula player really enjoyed it but the other three people didn't really care for it.

Turns for non-dracula players felt very limited, especially at night. I would play it again but would hope it would have a different feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a game that's twice as long as Spector Ops with a literary Dracula theme and a bit more combat interaction then yes, do it. If the twice as long puts you off or you have any doubts that you may never get it to the table because of the length (and teaching as there are a lot more rules) then let it go.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Cake
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just add in that this is probably my favourite game. Every time we've played it it has provided a great narrative. Here is my session report from one of our games:-

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1552751/epic-game-epic-...

The possible down sides are that it is a long game (but that could also be a positive!) and that I think it plays best with 5 players as otherwise someone will have to play 2 characters.

I think only Arkham Horror approaches it for a tense and thrilling story.

I say buy it whilst you can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the only straight AT game that I like.

I am not sure why you are questioning its availability though. It is not a GW property so the split should leave it unaffected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
It is not a GW property so the split should leave it unaffected.

Fury of Dracula (third edition) is listed as one of the games that will no longer be available from FFG. The 3rd edition certainly is a development of a previous GW game.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-pa...
A New Path Forward wrote:
The full list of product lines leaving the Fantasy Flight Games catalog is:

• Black Crusade
• Blood Bowl: Team Manager
• Chaos in the Old World
• Chaos Marauders
• Dark Heresy
• Dark Heresy Second Edition
• Deathwatch
• Forbidden Stars
• Fury of Dracula
• Only War
• Relic
• Rogue Trader
• Space Hulk: Death Angel
• Talisman
• Warhammer: Diskwars
• Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
• Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
• Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
• Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
• All Fantasy Flight Supply products showing imagery licensed to Games Workshop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Going in and out of print has left a few impressions on people's wallets, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for Specter Ops, but i can for Fury. I wrote one of the first reviews for 3rd Edition.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1470101/fury-dracula-3rd...

I think it's a fantastic game.

I think the short answer is get it. Especially if you can get it for the $50 mark i've seen a few people snag it for. Play it, if you like it, your good! If you don't put it somewhere safe and don't touch it for about 5 years or so...then sell it for a profit. You WILL be able to sell it for what you paid for it, that's a near guarantee, but 2nd edition was going for upwards $250 at one point. I expect 3rd to be quite valuable as well given a few years. Probably not the $250 mark, but well, more then what your paying right now.

The long answer is, if you and your group are ok with longer games there's no issue. The games of FoD i've played have all gone 3-5 hours, but for the most part were having fun for the 3-5 hours.

You may also want to look at 2nd edition. The rules are quite different, the game favors the hunters more, but it engages all players better. I have no idea what 2nd edition prices are though...i'll i know is that i'm keeping mine. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Dill
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like OLGS' like Cool Stuff and Miniature Market just got a new shipment in, although I found that big box stores Barnes & Noble stock the game as well. If you wait for one of their weekend sales, you could get it relatively reasonable priced (I got mine 30% off from B&N).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody...thanks for chiming in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mueganra wrote:
It looks like OLGS' like Cool Stuff and Miniature Market just got a new shipment in, although I found that big box stores Barnes & Noble stock the game as well. If you wait for one of their weekend sales, you could get it relatively reasonable priced (I got mine 30% off from B&N).

401 Games got 450 in stock two weeks ago. They asked for all available copies from their distributors. I believe they did the same with Chaos in the Old World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Redward wrote:
It is not a GW property so the split should leave it unaffected.

Fury of Dracula (third edition) is listed as one of the games that will no longer be available from FFG. The 3rd edition certainly is a development of a previous GW game.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-pa...
A New Path Forward wrote:
The full list of product lines leaving the Fantasy Flight Games catalog is:

• Black Crusade
• Blood Bowl: Team Manager
• Chaos in the Old World
• Chaos Marauders
• Dark Heresy
• Dark Heresy Second Edition
• Deathwatch
• Forbidden Stars
• Fury of Dracula
• Only War
• Relic
• Rogue Trader
• Space Hulk: Death Angel
• Talisman
• Warhammer: Diskwars
• Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
• Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
• Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
• Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
• All Fantasy Flight Supply products showing imagery licensed to Games Workshop

Well, silly me! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venser wrote:
mueganra wrote:

401 Games got 450 in stock two weeks ago. They asked for all available copies from their distributors. I believe they did the same with Chaos in the Old World.

I am very tempted to order a copy of chaos as an extra!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.