Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just recently learned of this game. It looks amazing, but I see that it will be a reimplementation of a previous edition, which is available now and far cheaper. I have not played either game: will the two editions be compatible? If I buy the first edition now, will I be able to use it with the second later? Also, what will be the major differences in gameplay between the two editions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most noteable difference is scale. BS1E is 15mm, BS2E is 28mm. There are many tweaks to the rules as well. If you have BS1E parts you can still use the new BS2E rules as well.

There are plot and skill cards that were not part of BS1E, and to get all of the rules you'll have to buy may expansions.

Some of the modules in BS1E are now Cargo Items in BS2E so you will need to craft up some tokens and that.

If you want to play now find a basic BS1E set to tide you over until BS2E hits the streets next spring (Jeff S. is planning Jan. but it's a board game so there can always delays).

BS1E is a much lower entry into the Universe for the budget conscious. BS2E + BS2E:Advanced Rulebook will set you back about $150 MSRP (if I am remembering correctly).

BS1E (+ BS:Galactic Civil War) you might be able to get for about $50-75 or so which will give you a feel for the game, but it may only whet your appetite for BS2E!

If you can wait and afford it.... go BS2E.... if you are budget minded you can just get the BS2E rulebook and print up your own bits, or just pick up BS1E now and the BS2E rulebook later.

Any way you go you can't go wrong!

Oh, and welcome to Battlestations!!

-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
welcome! the biggest issue with using 1E stuff is the scale. since they changes scale, you cant use the tiles or figures, and the rules are being redone. other than that you could play 2E on 1E components. if you can wait i would go for 2E but even just the 1E core box would give you tons of enjoyment until 2E is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.