GMT Games
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

Several of our customers have asked us whether there would be any Event Background Text for Labyrinth: The Awakening. The answer is "Yes." I'm sorry we didn't get this in the product to begin with, but we're going to make sure you have the information, as several of you have indicated that it increases your enjoyment of the game.

Designer Trevor Bender has created a pdf with all the card backgrounds, and as of today we're making it available as a free downloadable pdf from our website. Here's the link:

Labyrinth: The Awakening Event Card Background

Enjoy the games!

Gene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
131. Arab Spring "Fallout":
The path of the Arab Spring was spontaneous in nature and
where it would take root next was difficult to predict.

I'd say this is both wrong and disingenuous. Despite it totally nullifying Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?, which the hoopleheads carried on buying anyway, presumably because they are a bit weak on foreign affairs, the Arab Spring was predicted to take hold in the unstable country most vulnerable to it, namely Algeria, but it didn't. Egypt was at #2 and there US policy changed on the Monday and Wednesday of the same week, and then on Friday back to what it had been on Monday. Best to say GMT Games and the White House were united in being caught completely flatfooted, and the professionals were unable to predict anything, either before the Arab Spring began nor during its rapidly developing aftermath. Successive news broadcasts were far more useful.

194. Snowden:
Perhaps the most damaging leaks to the top NATO intelligence agencies of all times.

He leaked what to them??

Perhaps? The top NATO intelligence agencies' most damaging leaks, of all time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Aslett

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Best to say GMT Games and the White House were united in being caught completely flatfooted, and the professionals were unable to predict anything, either before the Arab Spring began nor during its rapidly developing aftermath."

131. Arab Spring "Fallout":
The path of the Arab Spring was spontaneous in nature and where it would take root next was difficult to predict.

Hmmmm. Assuming your premises are true, didn't you just prove the correctness of the event text with your own argument?

I'm not sure why you think this card "nullifies" Labyrinth since that game was designed before the Arab Spring happened and therefore doesn't, and couldn't, attempt to model it. I also don't know where you got the idea that "GMT" (Volkho? Trevor?) predicted the Arab Spring would spread first into Algeria and Egypt. There's nothing in the designer notes for either Labyinth or Labyrinth: The Awakening that suggested the Arab Spring would spread into these countries first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
GMT Games wrote:
Hi everyone!

Several of our customers have asked us whether there would be any Event Background Text for Labyrinth: The Awakening. The answer is "Yes." I'm sorry we didn't get this in the product to begin with, but we're going to make sure you have the information, as several of you have indicated that it increases your enjoyment of the game.

Designer Trevor Bender has created a pdf with all the card backgrounds, and as of today we're making it available as a free downloadable pdf from our website. Here's the link:

Labyrinth: The Awakening Event Card Background

Enjoy the games!

Gene

Thank you! I really appreciate you making this available for free and not hiding it away in a C3i magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Honestly I think the "Arab Spring" is a seriously flawed and inaccurate concept, and I'm not sure why it's still being propagated as it is. It seemed to be framed as this happy, uplifting idea of "hooray, the Arab states are overthrowing their dictators" (and maybe that's what it looked like at first) but the impression I get is that in reality it's been an absolute nightmare for all the states where these revolutions (or attempted revolutions) happened - in some cases ending up as horrific civil warfare. (unless I'm really missing the point here?).

Either way, maybe a better name for it would be "The Arab Time of Chaos" or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
I believe players will find that the "Arab Spring" scenario in the game expansion portrays the changing dynamic of this movement over time. It starts of as a popular appeal for greater representation as portrayed by many of the events in the first half of the deck, then transcends into civil war and other forms of violent expression in several countries through the more tragic events portrayed in the second half of the deck.

Of course the Arab Spring did not have to play out the way it did historically, nor in the specific geographies we witnessed, and the game expansion is designed to be flexible to allow for many, many other possible alternatives to unfold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.