11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendation for a family member rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mercedes Berg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have slowly been introducing my brother to some modern games. He is enjoying playing, but hasn't found a game he loves as much as The Game of Life. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to a modern game that he may enjoy as much? All suggestions are appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What sort of things does he enjoy? TV, book genres would be the easiest to help, but it could really be almost anything that he's into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe this: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181687/pursuit-happiness
Similar theme and all . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slow transition from The Game of Life to Funny Friends, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes Berg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
warrenfitz45 wrote:
What sort of things does he enjoy? TV, book genres would be the easiest to help, but it could really be almost anything that he's into.

He loves military books and movies. He loves playing video games, and mooching off of his older sister.. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes Berg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SarahKelley wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks right up his alley. I will have to pick it up for him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes Berg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mad Math wrote:
A slow transition from The Game of Life to Funny Friends, perhaps?

This one looks good too. Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
charmedvixen wrote:
warrenfitz45 wrote:

He loves military books and movies. He loves playing video games, and mooching off of his older sister.. whistle

"Mooching off of older sister" is a criminally under-developed theme for boardgames, but what sort of video games is he into? I was into videogaming before I got into boardgames, and I find that some of the board game mechanics I enjoy most are ones that I enjoyed in video games, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would war games be too much? Perhaps Memoir'44 would be an option? I've not played it, but I hear its a lighter war game.

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
charmedvixen wrote:
He loves military books and movies...

He is a prime candidate for wargaming; the thing that initially drew me to wargaming was my interest in history. A player gets a more intimate knowledge of the battles when you go through the effort of learning the typically complex rules (well, more complex than Euros) and enacting your own strategies to see if you can do better (or in my case, worse) than the historical leaders/actors.

The only issue with wargaming is the inherent complexity of wargames in general. There are less complex games such as Memoir '44 which can be learned by any one however, if there is an interest in history there is very little to no historicity in M44 aside from the scenario description and the way the bits look. On the other side of that coin are the mega/monster wargames that frequently bring up the statement "way of life" and there are many in this category; Advanced Squad Leader, Operational Combat Series, etc. In between are the vast majority of wargames; unfortunately it takes quite a bit of research to find what is available/learnable/in print/affordable; the last because wargames are notorious for going out of print and commanding shockingly high prices.

If he is interested in wargaming it can be a bit daunting here on BGG in the wargaming forums as there are large amount of jargon and acronyms with little to guide a newcomer but most are great and helpful people willing to help anyone with questions.

I would suggest these intro wargames, with the caveat: only if he has interest in the battles/wars simulated in these games.

WW II:
Combat Commander: Europe (card driven wargame, can be weird to learn but Chad Jensen writes some of the best rule books in all of gaming)
Battle for Moscow (second edition) (this is a perfect entry wargame from Victory Point Games that is in print and readily available)
The Drive On Metz (second edition) (same as above different theater)
The Battle of the Bulge, The Russian Campaign (printed in huge numbers and both cheaply available since the early 70's. They both stand up very well)

Sci-Fi:
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space (simple, readily available and inexpensive game, I found mine for $5 USD on clearance, about space travelers fighting off alien invaders in their ship)
Aliens vs. Zombies (another great entry level wargame from Victory Point Games)
Fortress America (more Ameri-trash than wargame but sufficiently wargame-y for the grognards with the upside of being playable with 2-4 players as most wargames are 2 player affairs)

Ancient warfare:
There are not a lot in this category that are easily available but the prime candidate for this would be Commands & Colors: Ancients which uses similar mechanics as Memoir '44 but adds quite a bit of more realism than M44 could ever offer with only a slight step up in complexity from M44.

Only if he wants to put in the effort needed to learn these:
Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit (there are three of them that are self contained and now in print, when they weren't these were CRAZY expensive! They can be pretty daunting for a new player but there is a massive community here on the Geek and other wargaming sites that are more than willing to help with any questions)
Twilight Struggle (card driven game about the Cold War. This could be another one that will be harder to learn than the previous games but the reward is a great game)
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? (very similar to Twilight Struggle above but about the current War on Terror. I think this is a great improvement on the Twilight Struggle system but it is a fairly complex game for a new player. But again, this reward is one of the most unique and infinitely replayable wargames out there)

I hope my rather long winded post is helpful in your search,good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea of the type of video games he likes? I often find direct correlations between video game styles and board game styles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.