Portal Games has had Rodney Smith
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
make videos lately. What is the likelihood that he will be a video series for Robinson Crusoe? The main reason this hasn't hit my table is that I am HORRIBLE at teaching games. With such a complex game, I have nightmares about how I would butcher the teaching of rules. Please send Rodney Smith to save me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's likely, given that the game has been out for 4 years and there are plenty of people who know how to play it out there.

Apparently Ignazy announced that the new edition of RC will get the Watch It Played treatment! That's really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Rahdo and Ricky Royal have play throughs in the video section, what more do you need?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Cutler
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo is a very nice man but his camera skills set off my motion sickness. I just prefer Rodney Smith over Rick Royal. Everyone has their preferences. Can't hurt to ask. Plus with the updated rule book there may be changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duncanid wrote:
Rahdo is a very nice man but his camera skills set off my motion sickness. I just prefer Rodney Smith over Rick Royal. Everyone has their preferences. Can't hurt to ask. Plus with the updated rule book there may be changes.

I concur with Deb.. I only watch Rahdo if I can't find anything else. His camera movement, rate of speech (and lack of taking a breather), and constant changing of actions kills the videos for me. I end up feeling sick as well. Rodney does a much better job at explaining the background of the game,the basic and then complex rules. Its more streamlined. Not completely knocking Rahdo, he got me started on the playthrough videos, so I still have respect for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indianajo883 wrote:
duncanid wrote:

I concur with Deb.. I only watch Rahdo if I can't find anything else. His camera movement, rate of speech (and lack of taking a breather), and constant changing of actions kills the videos for me. I end up feeling sick as well. Rodney does a much better job at explaining the background of the game,the basic and then complex rules. Its more streamlined. Not completely knocking Rahdo, he got me started on the playthrough videos, so I still have respect for him.

Have you tried watching his static cam videos? Richard is my favorite video previewer and I prefer his "FPS" videos, but I agree that his um, energy, can be a bit distracting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in all fairness, Rodney's production values mean that he needs to put at least a month's worth of work in his videos. Plus his schedule is possibly full for more than a year. They are just two different styles by design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indianajo883 wrote:
duncanid wrote:

Same. Richard's goal is to show you the general flow of the game and he'll do it in a long take. That's great because he can put out a lot of videos fast.

Rodney takes the time to shoot, edit, and put together things in a logical way, which is more conducive to learning how to play a game vs seeing as how the game works.

On top of that, I do not get why Rahdo makes it a point to say that his opinions shouldn't matter when trying to give you information on whether a game will work for you, but he still makes Final Thoughts and top 10 lists, which will sway people one way or another.

Compared to Rodney, who almost never does it (except that everyone knows Kemet is one of his favorites, and Tom got him to participate in a top 10 list), and who instead chooses to never say anything about his personal opinions on most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:
Compared to Rodney, who almost never does it (except that everyone knows Kemet is one of his favorites, and Tom got him to participate in a top 10 list), and who instead chooses to never say anything about his personal opinions on most games.
Key difference is that Rodney provides a paid service, whereas Rahdo does not receive any money for the games that he decides to showcase in his videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if that's 100% true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:
I don't know if that's 100% true.
which one exactly? That Rahdo doesn't get paid for his videos? Because he's on record multiple times reiterating the same thing over and over. I take him on his word.
There's also material out there talking about game producers hiring Rodney and about his full schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Er, sorry, context is important and I misread what you said.

It's pretty easy to misunderstand and think that you're saying that Rodney is funded completely. But I feel like only some of the videos he does is in part funded by whoever other than viewers.

Rahdo does do everything himself. So, it is what it is.

However, I wouldn't use a Rahdo video to learn how to play the game, because unless he makes a huge gameplay mistake, he probably won't revisit a game. Especially many of the games he flat out does not like.

Rodney, however, will do instructional videos/etc, but he'll go back and note mistakes or make a video documenting changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the stack of Portal Games he's done recently, I'm certainly expecting to see one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rokkon wrote:
Er, sorry, context is important and I misread what you said.

It's pretty easy to misunderstand and think that you're saying that Rodney is funded completely. But I feel like only some of the videos he does is in part funded by whoever other than viewers.

Rahdo does do everything himself. So, it is what it is.

However, I wouldn't use a Rahdo video to learn how to play the game, because unless he makes a huge gameplay mistake, he probably won't revisit a game. Especially many of the games he flat out does not like.

Rodney, however, will do instructional videos/etc, but he'll go back and note mistakes or make a video documenting changes.

Like it was said before, Rahdo's videos aren't for learning rules of games... You can't watch one of his videos and proceed to play a game without reading the rules...

If you are expecting that from his videos by now you just haven't watched any of his videos or if you did and you are using them for that it's not his fault, it's yours...

Rahdo's videos are meant to give the viewer a feel for how the game plays, for people to see the game in action and see if that's the type of game they will like or not, helping them know where to spend their money...

That's also why he says over and over again that you shouldn't pay attention to the Final Thoughts because that's not the relevant part of the service he's providing, you have watched how the game plays so you should be able to see what you like and don't like about the game.
He also does the Final Thoughts because people like to see those videos.

Regarding Rodney, I LOVE his work, I liked it more when he played more games but I completely understand that now that this is his job he doesn't have the same time to do that many gameplay videos.

Also, I'm pretty sure that by know the great majority of the Instructional videos he does are payed by the Publishers, I don't think that he has the time to do any more "Pro-Bono" videos... I might be wrong on this but if it's not all of them it's probably 99%

And of course, he is the guy to watch if you want to learn the rules of a game without having to read the rule book

Edit: typos!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
indianajo883 wrote:
duncanid wrote:

Have you tried watching his static cam videos? Richard is my favorite video previewer and I prefer his "FPS" videos, but I agree that his um, energy, can be a bit distracting

His videos now are fairly well produced (I don't watch the static cam ones), but his Robinson Crusoe video was one of his early ones and difficult to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney does amazing work, and is the most professional in the industry. He takes a long time to create each one, but it's not a month. Otherwise he'd have to own a cloning machine, as he puts out more content than one a month.

Rahdo now has a static cam too, which really helps for those who don't like the moving camera. And I actually find Rahdo's videos very useful, and have bought some games from it. Sure, he makes goofs. Anyone filming so many games like that without a full script and editing would do the same, but I find his videos perfect for really getting an idea of how the game plays and whether or not it is for me.

As for Ricky, I also get a good idea of how the game plays from them. However, they are edited and have good annotations on any errors made, so I have also used them for learning the game.

People have also questioned whether I (the lesser well-known Gaming Rules!) would be creating a rules video for this game too, but with Portal, I'm the one that does the rules, and Rodney does the video. That's how it's been for other games this year so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rodney and Ricky between them got me back into board gaming and Ricky's gameplay and 'tutorial' series on RC was enough to make me buy what is now and always will be one of my favourite games.

If you want to learn how to play it, Ricky will see you right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Games World
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
Jeddah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all
Ignacy just announced that Watch it played will do a video for this game,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_845-zOHc

at 1:38 min

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.