Popular Tags: [View All]
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have volunteered to run a board game club at a local middle school. I don't work at the middle school otherwise, so I am not at all familiar with the students that would be signing up. I don't know their past experiences with games, but I feel it's safe to assume most are familiar with Monopoly and UNO. If that's all the kids want to play, I will help accommodate that, but I would like to introduce them to the hobby gaming genre if possible.

I would like to get some ideas on games that are not too difficult for youth who are not experienced in hobby games to play. And if the games can play higher player counts all the better. I have a $200 budget and I want to be able to introduce them to as many new games from many themes and mechanisms as possible over the next handful of months, so keep those things in mind. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Esko
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't enable monopoly or uno just because they "want" it. They "want" it because they don't know any better.

I started my siblings (ages 11-16) on small world and they love it. CaCao is another great one. My son has been playing that with me since 5 but it is something I can bring to any table.

what is the age group you are looking at? 11-14ish right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cage P
Sweden
flag msg tools
My suggestions are
1.Takenoko, good entry level game, quick to learn
but still fun for seasoned gamers.

2. Ticket to ride. Easy to learn, very fun

3. Carcassone, easy to learn(without expansions), a modern classic

4. Sheriff of Nottingham, very simpls rules, encourages social interaction,
a game that is way bigger than the summ of its parts
when played right.

These are all games i play with people new to boardgames and they never fail.

P.s. all thes boardgames are featured on the show Tabletop on youtube,
channel: Geek and Sundry. I realy recommend checking it out to discover
new games and learn to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe
Lost Temple
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
King of Tokyo
King of New York
Tsuro
Stone Age
Lords of Vegas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cage P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Because of the theme i dont think lords of vegas is good for middle schoolers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeck86 wrote:
I wouldn't enable monopoly or uno just because they "want" it. They "want" it because they don't know any better.

I started my siblings (ages 11-16) on small world and they love it. CaCao is another great one. My son has been playing that with me since 5 but it is something I can bring to any table.

what is the age group you are looking at? 11-14ish right?

Yes, the kids will be ages 11-14.

I plan to introduce a new game every week (meeting once a week) that they can all try out and see if they want to play it again another week. I don't plan to bring Monopoly right off the bat, but if after playing some hobby games that's what they clamor for, I will allow them to play Monopoly. I will still encourage them to listen to my game explanations at the beginning of every club, though, to see if something new might interest them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was doing a club like that, I would also definitely bring
Catan
Small World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
Get off me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did just this, with about the same budget, supplemented by games I already owned. You almost certainly want to try a social deduction game (Werewolf, Lifeboats, etc.), which will accommodate a dozen players or more, for about $15.

Lots of press-your-luck games are inexpensive and will play many people, for instance Zombie Dice. You can check out local thrift stores (plenty of gamers in Utah) and find games like Can't Stop for a couple of bucks.

Might even want to check out the BGG thrift guild and see if some thrifters local to you are willing to assist. Good folk there.

I wouldn't do Carcassonne or TtR unless you can get them cheap, otherwise that'll be half your budget right there. Look for dice and card games, they're likely to be cheaper, and still have a lot of punch. Love Letter, Epic, Star Realms, Munchkin, even good old fashioned card games (Cribbage, Hearts, Spades, etc.) will get you hundreds of plays for under $20 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Strongly suggest you check out the "After School Table Top Gaming Club" thread. Lots of very helpful suggestions there on how to run a club, which games seem to work best (and which don't), how to recruit new members, and how to (possibly) obtain free games for your club from publishers.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/23775062#23775062
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the classic gateway games.

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
King of Tokyo
Ticket to Ride: Europe
For Sale
Pandemic
Incan Gold
Catan
Love Letter
Splendor
Codenames
Dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
Love it! My wife is a teacher and we both coach in the high school/middle school. This has me really jazzed up for the kids. Here's my recommendations.

Camel Up Plays up to 7 (8 with the expansion) and comes at a reasonable $35. This game is fun and looks great on the table. Its a hit with all age groups I have play-tested it with, but is easily accessible for middle school age children. Very thematic and fun.

Ticket to Ride As a former history/social studies teacher, I find this game to be a must. I assume you've played but for most students, set collection is a familiar gaming skill and this adds just a bit more to the game. Once again, beautiful board which will draw the kids in. Days of wonder is also known for better quality components, which may be needed with younger players.

Codenames Yes, it is the new hotness. But variable player limit and team style game is fun for any age group. Better yet, low price. This is word game that has to be on the shelf.

Sushi Go! This is the easy into to card drafting game that can be repeated over and over. After this, I would transition to 7 Wonders to add more to the experience.

Outside of these I recommend that you have at least one cooperative game. Suggestions:
Forbidden Island
Pandemic

A light war game: Small World

And I would include a social deduction game to cap off any evening. My personal preferences would be The Resistance and Coup, though I know there are others who prefer Werewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.