Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone, I am wondering what your favorite 2-player battle card games are, and why you enjoy them? (Specifically, what mechanics do you like, please be as elaborate as possible).

2+ player battle games are okay, too, but I'm specifically wondering about 2-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you consider "battle".

I like Lost Cities

The hand management is fun. Deny the opponent a card, or play for yourself. Take a chance on a color and hope your opponent won't get the cards you need... or waste time and forfeit possible future point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gallops
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I second Lost Cities. It's one of the very few games I own that my fiancee will play with me fairly regularly.

In addition to Lost Cities, I like Star Realms quite a bit. I enjoy the sci-fi theme as well as the deck building aspect. Later on in the game, it's a lot of fun when you're playing 10-15+ cards a turn instead of the usual 5 in the beginning.

I recently bought Dominion because of my found interest in deck building, but I haven't had a chance to play that one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Depends on what you consider "battle".

I like Lost Cities

The hand management is fun. Deny the opponent a card, or play for yourself. Take a chance on a color and hope your opponent won't get the cards you need... or waste time and forfeit possible future point...

I don't consider Lost Cities battle. By Battle, I mean players are attacking each other in one way or another, usually with units they call into play.

Things like:
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn
Android: Netrunner
Smash Up
Magic: The Gathering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixel Tactics: The immense variability, with each card having 5 (often vastly) different potential uses. In my preferred sets (1, 3, and Deluxe) it also feels like everything is extremely overpowered, and that's the way I like my games.

However, straight up from a mechanical perspective, I prefer Epic Card Game, which took everything that was great about Magic the Gathering (except for building decks and drafting from a near infinite selection), and narrowed it down to a single deck box, while also fixing issues such as mana screwage.

Star Realms is an awesome fast way to duel, and it's a deckbuilder - my favorite genre - hence it trumps both of the previous titles.

If you'll allow a slight bending, I'll also add For the Crown (Second edition), my favorite game. Amazing deck building on one hand, and a fierce Chess-type battle on the other (only far awesomer than that, due to the fact you assemble your own army as you play, and your options go vastly beyond the 6 unit types of standard Chess.) And the rich dynamic of improving one half coming at the cost of the other half.

All of these games have extreme levels of replayability. That's partly due to them being card games, and partly due to each's unique design. They're all awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line

I like the logic aspect where you can claim a flag (section of a battlefield) if you can prove that the opponent can't beat what you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence or UNO because they are quick to play and easily understandable rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rennis
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities is good, but my favorite has been Jambo for quite a while. We play with nearly all of the expansions, which make you think on your toes and alter strategy frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:

To add to the list, likely the forthcoming L5R: LCG as FGG taking it over can only mean good things. Friends and I played the heck out of the CCG. Summoner Wars because I fell like it is the best entry level expandable game out there. Netrunner is better designed, but SW wins with the fun factor. I need more plays of GoT: LCG, but it feels close enough to the Star Wars one which I continue to love mechanically, but it is still not really a smooth play, so GoT might over take it at some point.

Would say:
Summoner Wars
Netrunner
Ashes
Star Wars
GoT

Still too early for Ashes and GoT though. I can't imagine finding something that tops the first two although the deck size and starting five for Ashes really gives it some potential since even Netrunner with its 40-45 card decks is rather prone to deck draw. You build a deck in Ashes, and you are going to get what it is built for. Bah, I forgot to add Mage Wars: Academy. It is unplayed, but I have high hopes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War

The tension becomes palpable as you lay down cards to face off against your opponents' cards, all the while not knowing whether your good cards will come up, but hoping... hoping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Blue Moon Legends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON

I am a big fan of fighting video games and I feel that the series of games does the absolute best representation of those games in a board game format. The movement of characters, priority/speed, strength, range, and cost/cooldown of attacks are really well defined. Having to read your opponent and know their options is key. There are certainly some characters that are much better against others in certain match ups, but as a whole the game feels balanced. Also, with the large amount of characters to choose from just about all of them feel unique from one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic
Epic
Battle line
7 Wonders Duel? Maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four Tribes I haven't played Battle Line, but there is game similar called Four Tribes is awesome two player game.

Players have the same base deck of cards, but then can add up to five unique cards. The players represent warring factions who need to convince a bunch of village elders from the four tribes to join their cause, in order to tip the scale in their favor. How do you convince them? Bribery, of course! During the game, players will be laying down all manner of goodies at the feet of the village elders to sway them. And if that doesn’t work? Unleash a Dragon to sabotage the other player’s efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
I agree that Magic is wonderful, but I tend to prefer it played with more than two players; that makes it easier to be casual about it and have fun trying batty things. Duels seem a little too inclined to pull me into optimization.

Summoner Wars did a marvelous job of allowing force customization and spatial play, with quite a bit of variety among the factions.

Of the games mentioned so far, those are my favorites (though I've not played Netrunner, which also appeals to me). Other games I've played and would consider:

Yomi is absolutely marvelous at evoking its theme, a prediction-heavy fighting game, in turn-based card format. It feels very tight, again with tremendous variety between characters. Dave Sirlin's games are often nicely balanced among varied characters. Flash Duel: Second Edition is pretty simple and quick, but emulates the decisions associated with keeping distance very nicely. I'm also intrigued by what I've heard of his new game, Codex: Card-Time Strategy.

The Battle for Hill 218 and its sequel, The Battle for Sector 219, are symmetrical, quite simple games, very easy to learn, but they manage to pack a touch of flavor into their mechanics, anyway. Heavy Weapons, for example, are superb for controlling a zone, but rarely effective at advancing, while Special Forces are just the opposite. Like Flash Duel, they feel like a ton of game packed into a small box.

Looking over my responses, it seems that I'm fairly open about mechanics, but like to see games which capture their theme well and elegantly. I do distinctly prefer to avoid abject helplessness, so Magic's famous mana screw problem bugs me, as does Pokemon's irritating evolution mechanic, in which you simply can't play some cards without specific other named cards. But Magic is otherwise replete with cool design work, and Pokémon appeals to my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the Gathering.

Endless ability to design your own deck, incredible depth of strategy not just in the individual games but also in utilizing your sideboard, bluffing and the metagame of choosing what deck to run. Many ways to play from Vintage to legacy to extended to draft to reject rare to pauper to commander and more.

Incredible artwork, one of the best in board games. Incredible depth of theme. Players can make goblin or dwarf or soldier or merfolk or zombie or angel or demon or dragon or legends or artifact or creatureless decks and more.

Easily the most playtested game in board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars for positional tactics
There's a great range of factions with different play styles that all work great out of the box. Since the publication of Summoner Wars: Alliances Master Set, deck customization (which was an option since the original Reinforcement Decks) has become very interesting and diverse.

Rune Age for deckbuilding
I don't even liked Dominion much. But Rune Age is a great game, with different scenarios to allow head-to-head, racing competition, one-vs-many, solitaire, and co-op play. The cards are really pretty, too.

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game
for deck design
There are about 1,500 cards in a full set, and the flexible resourcing rules mean that none of them are useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently really enjoying the Vs. System 2PCG. It's got good gameplay, and it's cheap. The core set has everything you need to build multiple full decks (as opposed to the FFG sets where you need three cores for a full set) and the expansion release are about three per year instead of monthly. Those things might be a negative for some people but as someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money or keep up with monthly releases it's excellent. Sure, the card pool is smaller but I'm not down at the FLGS every night testing or playing league games, I'm just doing kitchen table play with my friends. Plus, the Marvel theme is a good way to get opponents who are at least casual fans of the Marvel movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mimedestroyer wrote:
BattleCON

I am a big fan of fighting video games and I feel that the series of games does the absolute best representation of those games in a board game format. The movement of characters, priority/speed, strength, range, and cost/cooldown of attacks are really well defined. Having to read your opponent and know their options is key. There are certainly some characters that are much better against others in certain match ups, but as a whole the game feels balanced. Also, with the large amount of characters to choose from just about all of them feel unique from one another.

And yet another set is on KS right now.

Insane amounts of fighters!

Yeah, it is a really fun game, and it is one of those games that you have to really play over and over to get very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Can't answer why, they're just on the Wishlist..

Field of Glory: The Card Game
Ortus Regni

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:

This is a fun game, but I'm also spoiled. I have the original Blue Moon with all the expansions. Blue Moon Legends is the same game, with shrunk down normal sized cards, not the big tarot size cards of the original. The bonus of Legends is you get everything in one box at a reasonable price.

Blue Moon is like a super complicated asymmetrical War. You need to win 3 battles with your cards, bonus cards, and special ability cards. Part of the trick is knowing what battles to give up on and what battles to go for broke with. It's my favorite Knizia game (normally I'm not a huge fan of his games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yomi. Because it is the most exciting game I've played (heart races after an intense match), has endless replay value (only gets better the more I play it), and unlike the other top-shelf competitive two player games, it stands on its own without relying on customization or endless expansions.

A unique thing about it is that personal playstyle matters a lot; you play your deck your own way, not necessarily some "optimal" way, and when you play vs an opponent, you're playing against him/her at the same time as playing against their deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons and Hearthstone - both are spell wars type games consisting of drafting and constructing a deck to the situation (what cards are available, what strategy you intend to pursue with those cards, and what can be best used to exploit the weaknesses of your opponent) all while being constrained by the resources needed to summon those cards (energy in Seasons, mana in Hearthstone). I like the excitement of trading blows back and forth, gaining ground or an advantage etc. and trying to outwit the opponent despite their use of attack cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the Gathering. Just buy any random duel pack and you have a better designed game than 99% of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
kentreuber wrote:

Second'd. Netrunner is also good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.