Subject: Some 7 Ronin Tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has posted any advice yet, so I better add some!

Some of the best powers of samurai include the yellow healer, the red "free extra kill" ronin, and the green archer who can kill a ninja from the enemy reserve.

Try to place where you think the enemy will be with the red samurai and where the enemy will not be with the green and yellow samurai. Try to place the grey samurai with lots of health where you think there will be a lot of enemies.

Some of the best zones for the ninja include the passage (sneak in some extra ninja) and the grain (get two extra ninja). Other strong placements can include the watchtower if it happens to be at a chance to wound lots of enemies, and the farms can be huge for winning unexpectedly when you have some territories claimed.

The burial ground has little value early on, the farms have no immediate benefit unless they are going to win the game (or create threats and distractions) and the watchtower can be useless if there is nothing in the area.

So the defender might consider placing the red samurai on the grain, passage, or watchtower many rounds, and the grey samurai on the passage, grain, or perhaps large farm, while placing the yellow and green samurai on places where there is much less likely to be an attack, like the burial grounds or the smaller farm or something like that.

If the attacker can score just a handful of extra damage that doesn't require giving up ninja to represent the wounds (using the well or watchtower, for example), or pick up extra ninja a few times (with the grain), the attacker will probably win.

Conversely, if the defender can score free extra kills (or heals) several times by getting good placement with the red, green, and yellow samurai, the defender will almost certainly be able to win.

The one area that is the most mysterious to me is the "Green" that allows the attacker to exceed deployment limits. It's a strange option that the defender does not need to think about unless the attacker goes there, and then it may be worth clearing the attacker out to prevent any really unusual attacks. Most games the samurai will be dying as the attacker is running out of ninjas, and an attack that exceeds the normal deployment limit may be enough to kill off a defender and still be able to use a region's power, which can be pivotal at the end.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts about the Green Zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thes are some nice tips and i agrew with m. Here are my reactions to them and some thoughts of my own:
- On the samurai:
+ I agree that red, green and yellow are all great powers. I think it's important not to underestimate purple either. He's your big chance to react to a potential oversight or sneaky play by your opponent. Dont put him somewhere critical to defend, because you'd ideally like to be able to move him without having to choose between two important positions to defend.
+ Yellow has surprisingly good durability. Be sure to use it, ideally earlier on so that you don't have to sacrifice his ability to heal later on when it is crucial.
+ Brown is also underrated. You can stuff a ton of ninja into less than ideal locations.
+ Blue is meh but can help spread damage.
+ Don't be afraid to front load damage onto grey (i.e. give him tons of damage early on) . Unlike most other character, his continued survival doesn't grant you additional uses of a beneficial power. Obviously it is best for the most possible characters to survive to defend the most locations, but he's among the most expendable characters because he has no "power" that can be used additional times if he survives.
- Samurai placement:
+ I'll discuss optimal ninja placement in the next section, but you have several main goals in your placement to balance and their importance shifts over the course of the game.
1) Prevent ninja from getting 5 territories - This is obvious and self explanatory but needs to be kept in mind at all times.
2) Prevent ninja use of significant powers - Which powers you prevent depends on the situation. It is always important to defend the passage no matter what. Damage powers are generally important but watchtower can be played around later on after samurai die. Well is an essential block in the late game to prevent unnecessary deaths. Fields is important if there are occupied spaces at the end of the round. Be aware of the situation and which blocks need to be prioritized.
3) power use - self explanatory, but maximizing powers is pretty much essential for victory.
4) Survival - The fewer samurai left alive, the easier it is for ninja to win via occupation because you can block fewer territories and they occupy more and get to use more powers. Don't worry so much about getting wiped out: generally if they can wipe you out, they can win by occupation unless they're down to tiny numbers. Don't worry as much about this early on but naturally minimize damage to important powers. To do this, try to shift damage to grey and blue where possible.

- Ninja powers
+ The passage, in my opinion, is hands down, the best. You can use it to overload a vulnerable samurai or exploit an unguarded power, or even use it for occupation victory. As far as I can tell, if the samurai player allows you to use this power, they have misplayed.
+ Granary, well and green are high priority placements. Granary increases the total amount of damage you can do to samurai over the course of the game, as well as enabling late land grabs for victory. The most likely way a ninja player loses is simply running out of steam and forces.l so granary usage can really enhance your ability to win. Well is great for killing off weakened samurai or even just weakening some of the stronger powers and making them more hesitant to use them.
Green can enable you to break limits and really overwhelm specific territories and make them prohibitively costly to defend.
+ Shrine, watch tower and breeding grounds are situationally powerful. They're not game winning, but well timed use of them can be highly effective if the situation demands. These are guarded less often so trying to find ways to exploit them effectively can be instrumental in winning.
+ Don't overlook the fields. If both fields are occupied, the samurai suddenly has an imminent threat that will be costly and necessary to deal with. If they're guarding the strong powers to heavily, the fields are a great way to aggressively force them to diversify their placement.
+ The inn should be primarily used with a specific use in mind. Don't assume that if you occupy it, there will be another power to use ut with. Consequently it is most reliable combined with mud level powers, but an opportunistic double on a strong space can be a huge and unexpected boon.

- placement
+ There are three main goals in ninja placement
1) Powee usage
2) Targeting ninjas
3) Occupation

You can be sure a samurai player will try to thwart number 1. But in my admittedly limited experience, newer players tend to overlook 2 and 3 as a result. Because they simply can't do everything at once and 1 is the most obvious motivation behind samurai placement. The point here is the samurai can't prevent you from doing all of these at once unless you play into exactly what they are trying to prevent you to do.
Your goal is to exploit their weaknesses and oversights and punish them for them.
IF THE SAMURAI CAM PREDICT WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH AND TRY TO THWART IT, THEY WILL SUCCEED. This is how the game functions on a fundamental level. If it wasn't true, the samurai couldn't win. Therefore you need to outwit and out maneuver them to win.
How does this work in practice?
- If they are playing power protection, you can exploit them by playing occupation, particular in the fields. With both fields controlled, you are only 2 away from securing victory so they are forced to react to that and either clear the fields or guess where you are going. Which presents you with new opportunities and puts them on the defensive.
- If they're punishing occupation strategy, exploit the powers they leave open. Eventually you'll be able to just overrun them.
- Even if they are doing a balanced defense, therr will be chinks in the armor. Finding and exploiting then effectively is the key to good ninja play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry that got a little long. I'll repost separately later.

With regards to the green, I think the key is that it allows you to overload specific zones and make them too expensive to defend. Or instead you can try to predict where specific samurai will go and overload them instead. Either way, I think there's very tangible benefit to being able to target specific areas and really hit them hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the posts, Chris. I agree with your observations, too. We've been using the Green more and more in our recent games.

Overall, I think the Ninja (attacker) has an easier time: the ronin really have to play very, very well to keep a skilled attacker in check. The attacker can start with a hard push sending in seven ninja each round (three to the large field, and two each to two different areas like the passage and granary), and maybe more if the passage is successfully secured.

Around the time the attacker gets access to four regions per turn (and loses a ninja each turn to starvation), the defender will be close to dead with most ronin, and maybe actually dead with one or two. A placement to the green in round 3 will allow a large enough force at the granary or passage that the ninja likely cannot be stopped. And there are plenty of other options to do damage, but those two extra ninja each round from the granary are huge round 4 and on. And as the defenders die off, there are plenty of ways to occupy enough territories to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
It's interesting because I've heard people claim both sides a have an easier time. I think a new ninja player can run into big trouble if they're predictable, whereas a samurai player isn't punished as much for that. So I think the balance definitely shifts towards the ninja as players get more experienced, though I don't think I've played enough to know if it gets to the point that ninja are overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenco KiQui
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Blue Steel wrote:
The attacker can start with a hard push sending in seven ninja each round (three to the large field, and two each to two different areas like the passage and granary), and maybe more if the passage is successfully secured.

How do you send 7 ninja in a round? I thought the Threat Limit prevented you from deploying more than 5 ninja per round, depending on the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jencokiqui wrote:
How do you send 7 ninja in a round? I thought the Threat Limit prevented you from deploying more than 5 ninja per round, depending on the round.
The threat level tells you on how many village areas you may place ninjas. Depending on the village area you can deploy up to three ninjas (as indicated on the planning boards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenco KiQui
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thank you! Thank you! The light went on. It makes so much more sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
jencokiqui wrote:
The threat level tells you on how many village areas you may place ninjas. Depending on the village area you can deploy up to three ninjas (as indicated on the planning boards).

jencokiqui wrote:
Thank you! Thank you! The light went on. It makes so much more sense now.

This just saved the day for me too!!

We have spent three, very frustrating days, playing that rule wrong. Me, shaking my head thinking, how the hell is this fun for the Ninja, it's impossible for them to win?! Deep inside I knew we had to be playing a key rule wrong, after going over the rulebook over and over again, finally I found this thread.

We had the Threat Level limit confused as total NINJA you could deploy per turn, instead of total AREAS. Completely broke the game! I was getting close to sailing the box off my gf's back-porch like a frisbee.

Playing a couple games with the rule corrected was a revelation. Tight, tense and everything I was hoping it was going to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.