$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 134.74

7,857 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall the rules regarding links exactly. I'd rather not copy/paste my rather lengthy Facebook post here so I'll just post the link. If this is terribly wrong, bordering on evil, please let me know and I'll figure something out.

In short, outside a grocery store in a relatively diverse neighborhood of Washington, DC, a Russian man walked up to me (white) and my two-year-old daughter (black) and, gesturing at her said, "This is no good," then slunk away like a rat. He expected me to actually feel shame. So after stewing in my rage for a few days, I posted the story on Facebook. Please read it if you have the time and pass it along if you'd like. The only good I can see coming out of this is that as many people as possible read and share the story.

Thanks,
Nate (Vaagen, as you'll see my last name if you follow the link.)

https://www.facebook.com/nate.vaagen/posts/1115891281781028?...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
shake DON'T dwell further since what you displayed in front of your family is what mattered most. You've shown how an ADULT should respond upon another's 'childish display' then, and there is nothing wrong for attributing non-response toward any imbecile encountered as well.
45 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
In short, outside a grocery store in a relatively diverse neighborhood of Washington, DC, a Russian man walked up to me (white) and my two-year-old daughter (black) and, gesturing at her said, "This is no good," then slunk away like a rat.


Sounds to me like he was the one feeling shame. He should. And congratulations to you -- I wish you and your family all the best that life can bring.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
shake DON'T dwell further since what you displayed in front of your family is what mattered most. You've shown how an ADULT should respond upon another's 'childish display' then, and there is nothing wrong for attributing non-response toward any imbecile encountered as well.


I need to see an optometrist my GROGnad glasses are broken.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
shake DON'T dwell further since what you displayed in front of your family is what mattered most. You've shown how an ADULT should respond upon another's 'childish display' then, and there is nothing wrong for attributing non-response toward any imbecile encountered as well.


I need to see an optometrist my GROGnad glasses are broken.

That's funny, I was just thinking that was one of the more comprehensible of Robert's comments I've ever seen.
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
I don't recall the rules regarding links exactly. I'd rather not copy/paste my rather lengthy Facebook post here so I'll just post the link. If this is terribly wrong, bordering on evil, please let me know and I'll figure something out.

In short, outside a grocery store in a relatively diverse neighborhood of Washington, DC, a Russian man walked up to me (white) and my two-year-old daughter (black) and, gesturing at her said, "This is no good," then slunk away like a rat. He expected me to actually feel shame. So after stewing in my rage for a few days, I posted the story on Facebook. Please read it if you have the time and pass it along if you'd like. The only good I can see coming out of this is that as many people as possible read and share the story.

Thanks,
Nate (Vaagen, as you'll see my last name if you follow the link.)

https://www.facebook.com/nate.vaagen/posts/1115891281781028?...


I had a roommate in Louisiana who had a biracial daughter and he said this happened to him multiple times.

He was black, though.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
rcbevco wrote:
I need to see an optometrist my GROGnad glasses are broken.
-GROGnads explains unio 'imaginary child of Barney Fife': "YOU allow them to lend power for their 'insults' by reacting adversely to such, so, JUST 'don't' do it!"
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
I need to see an optometrist my GROGnad glasses are broken.
-GROGnads explains unio 'imaginary child of Barney Fife': "YOU allow them to lend power for their 'insults' by reacting adversely to such, so, JUST 'don't' do it!"

It's true. We were back at the same store today and I was almost wishing I'd see him again just so I could publicly shame him somehow. But it would have no effect or the opposite effect. He would only feel more emboldened and righteous in his sad beliefs.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Feel compassion for a man who lets his ignorance and ill-manners show in front of a two-year-old child. You handled it well. Let it go.
16 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Feel compassion for a man who lets his ignorance and ill-manners show in front of a two-year-old child. You handled it well. Let it go.

I agree that compassion is a possible response to such people and that a compassionate response would quite possibly bring about the best outcome. He could realize his error in the face of such a response. That possibility is not lost on me. Still, I can't let it go, because I know it will happen again. It's a sad reality. I won't let his negativity change the way I raise my daughter, but I have to respond. For myself and for her.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
I don't recall the rules regarding links exactly. I'd rather not copy/paste my rather lengthy Facebook post here so I'll just post the link. If this is terribly wrong, bordering on evil, please let me know and I'll figure something out.

In short, outside a grocery store in a relatively diverse neighborhood of Washington, DC, a Russian man walked up to me (white) and my two-year-old daughter (black) and, gesturing at her said, "This is no good," then slunk away like a rat. He expected me to actually feel shame. So after stewing in my rage for a few days, I posted the story on Facebook. Please read it if you have the time and pass it along if you'd like. The only good I can see coming out of this is that as many people as possible read and share the story.

Thanks,
Nate (Vaagen, as you'll see my last name if you follow the link.)

https://www.facebook.com/nate.vaagen/posts/1115891281781028?...


The vast majority think it is perfectly fine for people from different backgrounds to get married and have kids (or adopt kids of different backgrounds). The vast majority hardly notices it anymore and bystanders might get irate if they were aware of what happened to you.

So what is more important, the support of the vast majority of people or the umbrage of an occasional throwback?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have pulled a Steve Martin from The Jerk as soon as he said something.

"You mean I'm not black!?"
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
The vast majority think it is perfectly fine for people from different backgrounds to get married and have kids (or adopt kids of different backgrounds). The vast majority hardly notices it anymore and bystanders might get irate if they were aware of what happened to you.

So what is more important, the support of the vast majority of people or the umbrage of an occasional throwback?

I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree with you. But what sticks in my craw is the fact that my daughter was targeted. She's two. Yes, any decent human being would be aghast at what happened, but some human beings aren't decent and might listen to his arguments, whatever they might be. So he puts his negativity out into the world and I respond (with my post linked above) and push back with what I see as a truer narrative.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
I need to see an optometrist my GROGnad glasses are broken.
-GROGnads explains unio 'imaginary child of Barney Fife': "YOU allow them to lend power for their 'insults' by reacting adversely to such, so, JUST 'don't' do it!"

It's true. We were back at the same store today and I was almost wishing I'd see him again just so I could publicly shame him somehow. But it would have no effect or the opposite effect. He would only feel more emboldened and righteous in his sad beliefs.


http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Influences-of-Racism-and-Racist...

It's going to be very hard to influence racists as long as they have support of fellow racists.

But... if you can humanize your self and your daughter to him and get him apart from other racists, he might see you as human and become enlightened about racism.

Or he could be too old and set in his ways.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/mental-healt...

It's an opportunity to educate your daughter on racists and about racism.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Or he could be too old and set in his ways.


Yes, I believe Grogs is beyond teaching how to use standard text.
18 
 Thumb up
0.31
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Or he could be too old and set in his ways.


Yes, I believe Grogs is beyond teaching how to use standard text.


I Know!
13 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb


Well said in your facebook post. I love the line about feeling you had tried to introduce Cousteau to water. Very apt analogy.

I am so very VERY sorry that you ran into such a jerk. shake

BTW... Your wife and daughter are beautiful!! What a lovely family you have. So focus on your blessings and ignore people who are so stunted they cannot share in your joy.

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:


Well said in your facebook post. I love the line about feeling you had tried to introduce Cousteau to water. Very apt analogy.

I am so very VERY sorry that you ran into such a jerk. shake

BTW... Your wife and daughter are beautiful!! What a lovely family you have. So focus on your blessings and ignore people who are so stunted they cannot share in your joy.


Thanks, Lynette. That's very kind. I do certainly have much to be thankful for. I hope I never take that for granted.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Nate_001 wrote:
It's true. We were back at the same store today and I was almost wishing I'd see him again just so I could publicly shame him somehow. But it would have no effect or the opposite effect. He would only feel more emboldened and righteous in his sad beliefs.
devil-Devil's Alternate:~"...'Ukraine' is WEAK-sauce' "mindsett" so, 'decry' "CRIMEA"-a-deliver!" and other 'deli-berate' exhortations.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Feel compassion for a man who lets his ignorance and ill-manners show in front of a two-year-old child. You handled it well. Let it go.


That's one approach. Giving him a sack punch is another.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
Feel compassion for a man who lets his ignorance and ill-manners show in front of a two-year-old child. You handled it well. Let it go.
mrspank wrote:


That's one approach. Giving him a sack punch is another.
~50+PLUS-"shades" "Poisson d`Avril Lavigne"!: khitbash /whistle\
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
Russian man walked up to me (white) and my two-year-old daughter (black) and, gesturing at her said, "This is no good," then slunk away like a rat. He expected me to actually feel shame.


Apparently you did feel shame, otherwise you would have asked "what is no good" ? but you kept your mouth shut and cowered in your own thoughts about it.

Also, is it racist of you to say he was Russian , without knowing for sure ? Maybe all white people look the same to you ? Maybe he was from Ukraine


Anyway, next time some asshat talks shit to your child, call me and I can walk you through how to be a man and stand up for your child. Holy crap you disgust me, if this story is true.

I can only assume you are too in touch with your feminine side.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Nate_001 wrote:
Russian man walked up to me (white) and my two-year-old daughter (black) and, gesturing at her said, "This is no good," then slunk away like a rat. He expected me to actually feel shame.


Apparently you did feel shame, otherwise you would have asked "what is no good" ? but you kept your mouth shut and cowered in your own thoughts about it.

Also, is it racist of you to say he was Russian , without knowing for sure ? Maybe all white people look the same to you ? Maybe he was from Ukraine


Anyway, next time some asshat talks shit to your child, call me and I can walk you through how to be a man and stand up for your child. Holy crap you disgust me, if this story is true.

I can only assume you are too in touch with your feminine side.


You really are a pitiable creature.
40 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
jeremycobert wrote:

Also, is it racist of you to say he was Russian , without knowing for sure ? Maybe all white people look the same to you ?


If you read his facebook page.
"I'm from Russia," he declared, with the implied authority with which one might say,
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Nate_001 wrote:
Russian man walked up to me (white) and my two-year-old daughter (black) and, gesturing at her said, "This is no good," then slunk away like a rat. He expected me to actually feel shame.


Apparently you did feel shame, otherwise you would have asked "what is no good" ? but you kept your mouth shut and cowered in your own thoughts about it.

Also, is it racist of you to say he was Russian , without knowing for sure ? Maybe all white people look the same to you ? Maybe he was from Ukraine


Anyway, next time some asshat talks shit to your child, call me and I can walk you through how to be a man and stand up for your child. Holy crap you disgust me, if this story is true.

I can only assume you are too in touch with your feminine side.

Wow, dude. RTFA. If you want to discuss what actually happened, how about you put your reading skills to use.
19 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.