Subject: Firefly Forum (BGG) Newbie with a question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello.

Sorry for being a newbie and such and thanks for helping me adjust.

I have been playing the game variants and lurking the forums for a while. I read the forum rules and understand the ban on advertising.

That being said, I have created tokens for Firefly that I think others might be interested in. I have noticed a couple of places where folks link to Shapeways and printing sites for their fan created stuff. Are these creators being compensated for the printing of those items or are those simply services at which you can pay the maker (the printer, not the designer) to create physical copies of the fan-designed goods?

The reason I ask is I don't know what's considered advertising and I don't want to run afoul of BGG etiquette.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the options, if you want to get paid for your work, are:
- Paid advertising to the site
- List the items in the BGG Marketplace where BGG will get a commission from your sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't want to seem like that's my only goal. I would have made these anyhow, even if nobody else was interested. It's something I have considered (starting a game accessory side business) but I'm not sure that my stuff is any good.

I also don't know how to share my designs for free and still protect my work. It's all very confusing.

Thanks for the thought, I'll definitely check out the marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmb
See also this thread for X-Wing (and others like it in similar games), which has been up for years now. That appears to be a case, akin to geeklist auctions/sales, of using forum features as the sales pitch / marketing and then routing your sales through the BGG marketplace to give BGG its cut -- which doesn't necessarily mean actually setting up marketplace orders for customers. You can satisfy the rule by doing a periodic Marketplace listing (weekly, for instance) and "buying" it yourself so that your sales total (and resultant commission) is in the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
Awesome, that's a huge help.

I was thinking of posting them on the forum to see if folks would even be interested in them or if they simply think they're trash. They're designed to fit the theme and also the ship cargo spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Recommend uploading pics to your personal gallery, no mod required. Then include them in your forum posts to see if there's interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
Will do, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DMDesign wrote:
I also don't know how to share my designs for free and still protect my work. It's all very confusing.

Even in the 'real' business world you can't do this without bringing trademarks, IP, patents (and similar) into it. Basically seems pretty hard to do both although I'm sure there's the odd lawyer at the site who will advise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artists do get compensated for items that they post on places like Shapeways. They get a % of each sale (not the whole amount though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maraya
United States
California
flag msg tools
Is posting a shapeways link considered advertising? Seems like it is, considering it's intended to generate revenue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.